The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ConfessionalLutheran

Catholic reactions to the Reformation 500

Wow. I'm serious. Wow. There's a thread on the Catholic Answers forum that is called " Ecumenism with Lutherans" that should be called " Recruiting Lutherans." The message is what a lot of the messages were last week, from a lot of RC sources: " Luther split the Church," " Lutherans must deny their faith and come home to Rome," etc., etc.. Of course, seeing's how I'm eager to talk to anybody, any time, about anything, I decided ( somewhat unwisely) to engage. It's amazing all the detours that the apologists over there will make simply to show how right they are and how wrong the rest of us are. Praying for peace, but at the same time, the old hymn " Onward Christian Soldiers" comes to mind.

• Like 1

I have read that many prominent Catholic theologians whisper privately at least that Luther was right. Most Catholic theologians ( the honest ones at least) admit that Rome was in great need of a reformation in the 16th century. For at least two decades + the cry was for Reformation in head and members. The liberal branches of "Lutheranism" seem not to be able to run to Rome fast enough. The better informed will never run back to Rome.

• Like 2

They really twist around Scripture to fit their beliefs about Mary. Like with Matthew 12:50, the verse clearly shows that Mary was no different from to Christ than any one who obeys God. Yet Roman Catlicks will tell you the verse means just the opposite, that's how brainwhased they are by such a wicked counterfeit of Christianity.

• Like 1

I have read that many prominent Catholic theologians whisper privately at least that Luther was right. Most Catholic theologians ( the honest ones at least) admit that Rome was in great need of a reformation in the 16th century. For at least two decades + the cry was for Reformation in head and members. The liberal branches of "Lutheranism" seem not to be able to run to Rome fast enough. The better informed will never run back to Rome.

You're absolutely right. Anything of worth that Rome might once have had has been retained by the Lutheran Church. There's no reason to return to such a den.

They really twist around Scripture to fit their beliefs about Mary. Like with Matthew 12:50, the verse clearly shows that Mary was no different from to Christ than any one who obeys God. Yet Roman Catlicks will tell you the verse means just the opposite, that's how brainwhased they are by such a wicked counterfeit of Christianity.

That's true. It's a shame, too. To try to take the Christian faith and paganize it with some mild- goddess worship means that the Christianity is not there any more.

• Like 1