The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Charismaticus

"The Word of Knowledge:" The Spirituality of Premonitions

In my thread on Speaking in Tongues and Spirit Baptism, I describe the electrifying experience that seems to have activated the gift of "the word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 12;8)." As already noted, through that experience God called me to a life of living the big questions. God then reinforced that calling by giving me my first "word of knowledge," (1) foreknowledge of the fact that I would have the highest GPA in the Province of Manitoba. Previously, I was merely a decent student, but Spirit baptism greatly heightened my academic abilities to help me fulfill God's calling. My cousin, a psychiatrist, reminded me a few years ago that I had make this prediction at age 16 and the Premier of our province confirmed this achievement at my high school graduation. This allowed me the benefit of academic scholarships to pursue God's calling. I am so greatful to God for gifting me in this way, so that I could both afford and gain acceptance at schools for 16 years en route to 3 relevant academic degrees.

(2) This premonition was followed by a much more dramatic and terrifying one. At age 19, I was a Winnipeg college student. About 5 years my senior, my friend Dallas was the leader of our church youth group of about 150. I had just been Best Man at his wedding and was now invited to the newlyweds post-Christmas dinner. After eating, we played table tennis in their basement. Dallas mentioned that he was going deer hunting in northern Manitoba the next day and I instantly felt a sense of dread. It seemed as if I saw his skeleton and was certain that he would be killed in an accident if he went on this trip. Horrified, I felt compelled to share my premonition with him. He was offended and blamed my so-called premonition on my anti-hunting views. I had no such views, though I've never gone hunting myself. What could I do? I had no evidence beyond my certainty. I guess I hoped God would confirm my premonition to Dallas.

A few days later, we had a New Year's Eve service at our church. What happened when I arrived at the church was straight out of a horror movie. 3 young girls in our youth group approached me, giggling, and said. You do know that Dallas was killed yesterday in a hunting accident. He was riding a snowmobile with his gun placed near him and hit a bump. The resulting jolt caused his rifle to discharge into his shoulder. He bled to death before his hunting buddies got him to a doctor. The girls giggled and one said to the other, "Wow, I guess we sure ruined his day!" It was as if Hell was taunting me for my friendship with Dallas! What was so funny about their youth leader's death? I charitably assumed that their was just a nervous laughter. I later obsessed over what this tragedy meant. Why was I given this premonition if it would be useless to prevent his death? And was his death predestined fate?

You saw a skeleton in your mind then years later your friend died. Who is edified by these premonitions that are glorified feelings and coincidences? And why should anyone believe and accept this story as spiritual truth?

• Like 2

You saw a skeleton in your mind then years later your friend died. Who is edified by these premonitions that are glorified feelings and coincidences? And why should anyone believe and accept this story as spiritual truth?

No, my friend Dallas was killed the very next day!!!

Staff
God then reinforced that calling by giving me my first "word of knowledge," (1) foreknowledge of the fact that I would have the highest GPA in the Province of Manitoba. Previously, I was merely a decent student, but Spirit baptism greatly heightened my academic abilities to help me fulfill God's calling.
Narcissistic much!

• Like 1