The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Eric T.

Greetings!

Eric T.

Hi everyone. Glad to be here, and get to know some new folks.

I really enjoy Bible reading/study, and theological-type books. My problem however, is that I am not a fast reader and I find it much easier to start a new book than to finish it! Recently I have been reading "Devoted to God" by Sinclair Ferguson and re-reading chapters 6-10 from book 3 of John Calvin's Institutes, which is about the Christian life. Both are excellent.

I am very happy to see that this site uses Faithlife's Reftagger so that scripture references (like Romans 8:1) are easily accessible, so thanks to the developers for that!

Finally, I love old hymns; this is one of my favorites:

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,

In my place condemned He stood;

Sealed my pardon with His blood.

Hallelujah! What a Savior! --Phillip Bliss, 1875

• Like 4

Eric T.

Thanks, William. I agree with your comment about the great theology of the old hymns, I think that's why I like them.

Re Calvin, he's not always easy, but I find the effort is rewarded. Same goes for most of the old writers. I am finding it gets a little easier as you do more of it.

I have a question about the little quote "Contra Mundum" below your name. How do you do that? (By the way, Athanasius was awesome!)

• Like 1

Origen
Staff

Hello and welcome Eric

Eric T.
Hello and welcome Eric

Thanks!

Eric T.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, @theophilus! Hey I have a question for you or perhaps @William. What does the little red bar graph in the user's profile mean? I think have seen some that are partly red but most seem to be fully red. Also, is there a page that explains all this stuff for newbies like me? Thanks.