The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Charismaticus

Spirit Baptism and Speaking in Tongues

The Pentecostal movement now numbers 200 million globally. To understand its phenomenal success amid great decline of mainline denominations, a good place to start is with the 3 YouTube videos posted below. The first 2 videos describe the astounding Welsh revival of 1904-1906 that spread worldwide and manifested in the USA in the famed Azuza Street revival of 1906ff. In Video (1), J. Edwin Orr graphically describes how a mentally and emotionally unstable prayer warrior, Evan Roberts ( a coal miner), was used by God to lead the most spectacular revival since the first-century Pentecostal outpouring (Acts 2). Video (2) is a documentary based on Evan Roberts's diary that reveals his inner journey, his spiritual doubts and experiences that molded him into the spearhead of this revival. Video (3) documents the life of the most spiritually effective African American Christian ever, William Seymour, whom God used in the Welsh revival spinoff, the famous Azuza Street Revival, which has spread over the decades so remarkably that there are now 200 million Pentecostals and Charismatic Christians.

Most Christians recognize that what our churches need the most now is a great awakening on a par with these earlier revivals. We commonly assume that we have met the conditions for such an awakening. But if you study the lives of men like Evan Roberts and William Seymour and the price they paid to secure revival, you'll realize the sad truth, namely that modern Christians are generally unwilling to pay the price needed to attract such a massive awakening. Please watch these 3 videos and see if you agree with my claims.

(1) Lecture by J. Edwin Orr on the famous Welsh Revival of 1905-1906:

(2) Documentary on the Welsh Revival from the Perspective of Evan Roberts's Diary:

[be patient with the initial historical section and recognize that the video's solos were treasured hymns in the Welsh Revival. although much of the singing was singing supernaturally composed in the Spirit.]

(3) Documentary on the birth of Pentecostalism during the Azuza Street Revival of 1906 and the role of the most spiritually influential African American Christian of all time--William Seymour: (3) is the video that is directly relevant to the Pentecostal theme of this thread, but (1) and (2) are essential as background viewing.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...08F9&FORM=VIRE

Hi Charismaticus,

How does all this sit with those in your fellowship who call themselves Methodists?

I like to think true Pentecostalism began shortly after Christ's ascension. (Acts 2:1 - 4)

It has been well said that the prevalent counterfeiting of the gifts of the Spirit is discernible by the prevalent counterfeit fruit thereof; likewise the genuine gifts by the genuine fruit.

• Like 2

In Acts 1 those speaking in tongues spoke in a known existing language. That is not is gippering we hear today. I don't mean to upset you, but a close look at the greek is well in order if Tongues is important to you.

justme

Placable: "How does all this sit with those in your fellowship who call themselves Methodists?"

It sits very well with them and some now speak in tongues and treasure the ongoing legitimacy of the gifts of the Spirit. I have preached on this top on various Pentecost Sundays.

Justme: "In Acts 1 those speaking in tongues spoke in a known existing language. That is not is gippering (sic: not a word!) we hear today. I don't mean to upset you, but a close look at the greek is well in order if Tongues is important to you.

Well, I have an MDiv from Princeton and a Harvard doctorate in NT and Judaism; so I am well qualified in the original biblical languages. Everyone should watch the video posted by William on tongues. On this thread, I will make constructive use of it as my academic whipping boy because the speaker predictably overlooks some of the most basic textual evidence relevant to the issue at hand. I read a paper on this topic to the Harvard biblical faculty and they agreed with my conclusion.

The 3 videos I posted in my OP illustrate how high the stakes are in this issue. We are discussing outpouring of the Spirit so powerful that they dwarf anything that you or your church has experienced. My personal testimony (to be posted shortly) will describe what this means in practical terms. If you are honestly seeking the truth, I urge you to watch all 3 in the sequence offered. I will view those who refuse to do so as too closed-minded to warrant serious engagement.

How are men leading revival? Would revival not be God moving in us and not us moving God?

• Like 2

How are men leading revival? Would revival not be God moving in us and not us moving God?

Why not actually watch the 3 videos for proof of your answer?

Why not actually watch the 3 videos for proof of your answer?

Ok, but think about it. It's God who is doing the riviving, but somehow those who need to be rivived are the ones bringing it about.

​​​​​​

William: "The problem I have with a "revival" is it usually emphasizes an emotional experience that is not long lasting, but a temporary emotional or subjective feeling which may lead someone to the altar to profess Christ one time but absent in life thereafter."

As the first video points out, 100,000 lasting conversions in little Wales in the first 4 months, taverns go out of business for lack of customers, judges laid off for lack of criminal cases, etc.

Non-Christians suddenly felt compelled to flock to churches and stay for worship till 4:00 AM the next morning because they were so overwhelmed by the presence and power of God. Evan Roberts was the prayer warrior whose prayers ignited the revival, but he was not a prominent evangelist of the revivals; in fact, no one even knew whether or where he would show up! The meeting had no structure or program, but were led by the Holy Spirit.

The Azuza Street revival? 200 million converts up to the present, even though those meetings were mot advertised or promoted.

By far the most powerful and important turning point in my life was an experience of glossolalia at Manhattan Beach Camp in Manitoba. I was 16 at the time and felt I had lost my faith. I was determined to give it my best shot to find God real, but not to succumb to wishful thinking and emotionalism. That fateful, Tuesday, I went on a 7 mile walk towards Ninette, MB, pleading with God to make Himself real to me and promising to surrender my life to His service if He did. That evening, I did something I'd never done before. I fasted for dinner and put my dinner money in the offering plate. After the service, I stayed at the altar and prayed to be filled with the Spirit as i had previously done in vain. After almost everyone (about 1,000) left the amphitheatre, my heart still felt like stone as I tarried in prayer. Then suddenly I felt a warm breeze, but it wasn't the wind from nearby Pelican Lake; it was the Holy Spirit first warming me and then possessing me. I was forced against my will to speak in tongues at the top of my voice. More importantly, wave after wave of liquid love surged through my being with ever increasing intensity until I feared it might kill me. My ego seemed on the verge of collapse into the divine mind. Yet my fear was so full of awe and wonder!

A Lutheran pastor observed me, unseen, and quietly came and knelt beside me. He told me he was not Pentecostal and had only come to the camp meeting as an interested observer. He said he could tell God was doing a special work in me and he asked me to pray for him. The moment i touched his forehead, he exploded into tongues like me. Another lady was sitting in the now darkened amphtheatre and just staring at me. Self-conscious, I asked her why. She said, "Don't you know? Your face is glowing in the dark!"

When it was all over, I realized that God had said to me clearly: "Son, you long for answers to burning questions. But answers aren't good for you right now. They will make you live in your head, and i want you to live in your heart. I want you to live your questions until they lead you to the center of my heart." That message is the reason for my long educational pilgrimage from BA to MDiv to doctorate in NT, Cultural Backgrounds, and Intertestamental Judaism. Interestingly, the experience made me a much better student than I had ever been.

Classical Pentecostals believe that speaking in tongues is the unique initial evidence of Spirit baptism. This thread will initially focus on the often electrifying experience of speaking in tongues. Later, I will discuss the NT teaching about this gift. its relationship with Spirit baptism, and the danger of counterfeit gifts of the Spirit. I will also explain how you can have a genuine experience of speaking in tongues yourself. Just as marijuana is often considered a gateway drug for the use of hard drugs like cocaine, the tongues experience described above served as my gateway experience for other charisms, especially "the word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 12:8)." Shortly, I will start a thread entitled "The Spirituality of Premonitions" to document my many premonitions.

Funny thing about speaking in unknown languages (aka tongues), the Bible makes it plain that not everyone functions in the gift, just as not everyone has various other endowments.

(1Co 12:25-31)

(25) That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

(26) And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

(27) Now you are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

(28) And God has set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

(29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

(30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

(31) But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

The way a particular faction generates rivalry about this issue is contrary to Scripture.

Anyone who works themself into a lather trying to convince others to operate in a gift that God is not willing to give them is heading for trouble...judgment will come!

• Like 1

In Acts 1 those speaking in tongues spoke in a known existing language. That is not is gippering we hear today. I don't mean to upset you, but a close look at the greek is well in order if Tongues is important to you.

justme

The tongues in Acts 2: 4--11, are just one of the many operations of tongues that the Bible records, For instance, There are tongues that no one can understand, 1 Cor 14: 2. Then there are tongues that need an interpretation, 1 Cor 12: 10. Then there are tongues that build us up. 1 Cor 14: 5. Then there are tongues that are our spirit praying, 1 Cor 14: 14--15, And tongues that sing God's praises, 1 Cor 14: 16--18.

• Like 2

Funny thing about speaking in unknown languages (aka tongues), the Bible makes it plain that not everyone functions in the gift, just as not everyone has various other endowments.

(1Co 12:25-31)

(25) That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

(26) And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

(27) Now you are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

(28) And God has set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

(29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

(30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

(31) But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

The way a particular faction generates rivalry about this issue is contrary to Scripture.

Anyone who works themself into a lather trying to convince others to operate in a gift that God is not willing to give them is heading for trouble...judgment will come!

The tongues in 1 Cor 12: 10, Are one of the gifts of the Spirit, and they need an interpretation. These tongues are different to those in Acts 2: 4--11, and 1 Cor 14: 2, and 1 Cor 14: 4,&Vs14--18. Jesus said the Believer shall speak in tongues, Mk 16: 17. In every Biblical account of people being baptised in the Holy Ghost, They all spoke in tongues, Making tongues the Biblical evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Ghost.

The tongues in Acts 2: 4--11, are just one of the many operations of tongues that the Bible records, For instance, There are tongues that no one can understand, 1 Cor 14: 2. Then there are tongues that need an interpretation, 1 Cor 12: 10. Then there are tongues that build us up. 1 Cor 14: 5. Then there are tongues that are our spirit praying, 1 Cor 14: 14--15, And tongues that sing God's praises, 1 Cor 14: 16--18.

I don't think there is a single place in the New Testament where tongues is referring to a language that is not already established and being used some place. In the Bible sadly "Tongues" should be used as "languages". Too often people think tongues is some prayer made up expression that the Holy Spirit somehow translates to God, and that just is not so according to Scripture.

justme

• Like 2

I don't think there is a single place in the New Testament where tongues is referring to a language that is not already established and being used some place. In the Bible sadly "Tongues" should be used as "languages". Too often people think tongues is some prayer made up expression that the Holy Spirit somehow translates to God, and that just is not so according to Scripture.

justme

1 Cor 14: 2 says there are tongues that no man knows, Only God, So that certainly isn't a known language, and 1 Cor 13: 1 mentions tongues of Angels, And no one knows the Angelic language . 1 Cor 14: 15--16 says no one knows what we are saying when we sing in the Spirit, giving thanks to God, Also when the Holy Spirit intercedes through us and for us, Rom 8: 26, He speaks in a tongues that cannot be spoken in our native language And that's not a language that people can know. There are tongues that is our spirit praying, 1 Cor 14: 14--15, and no one knows that. There are tongues that build the spirit man up, 1 Cor 14: 4. There are tongues that need an interpretation, 1 Cor 12: 10, If people could understand it, why would there be a need for someone to interpret it. Do you speak in tongues.

1 Cor 14: 2 says there are tongues that no man knows, Only God, So that certainly isn't a known language, and 1 Cor 13: 1 mentions tongues of Angels, And no one knows the Angelic language . 1 Cor 14: 15--16 says no one knows what we are saying when we sing in the Spirit, giving thanks to God, Also when the Holy Spirit intercedes through us and for us, Rom 8: 26, He speaks in a tongues that cannot be spoken in our native language And that's not a language that people can know. There are tongues that is our spirit praying, 1 Cor 14: 14--15, and no one knows that. There are tongues that build the spirit man up, 1 Cor 14: 4. There are tongues that need an interpretation, 1 Cor 12: 10, If people could understand it, why would there be a need for someone to interpret it. Do you speak in tongues.

We clearly are not in agreement with our understanding of what "languages" is in the New testament. But that is generally not the biggest issue between Pentecostalism and Baptists victory4me. I respectfully and with kindness ask do Pentecostal people in the UK believe in the Trinity, you know the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit? here in the US there is an issue about this.

I would prefer not to dialogue about "tongues" or as The Bible should better say languages,as we won't ever agree about that. I am more interested in what we do agree on, that better shows John 13:34,35 in our lives. Blessings.

justme

• Like 1

Jesus said the Believer shall speak in tongues, Mk 16: 17. In every Biblical account of people being baptised in the Holy Ghost, They all spoke in tongues, Making tongues the Biblical evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Ghost.

Mark 16:17-18 NASB. These [fn]signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Just for clarification, are you claiming that all believers who receive the Holy Spirit will do all of the above on as regular a basis as they "speak in new tongues"? I ask because it reads like a package deal that "I" always applied as applicable to the whole body collectively, rather than to each and every individual. If "tongues" is for every believer (without exception) then the rest of the package should apply as well. Right?

• Like 2

We clearly are not in agreement with our understanding of what "languages" is in the New testament. But that is generally not the biggest issue between Pentecostalism and Baptists victory4me. I respectfully and with kindness ask do Pentecostal people in the UK believe in the Trinity, you know the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit? here in the US there is an issue about this.

I would prefer not to dialogue about "tongues" or as The Bible should better say languages,as we won't ever agree about that. I am more interested in what we do agree on, that better shows John 13:34,35 in our lives. Blessings.

justme

Tongues Are languages, Heavenly languages. with a few different manifestations, [Operations]. As for the Trinity, Pentecostals and Baptists in the UK have no problem believing the trinity, The Bible makes the Father Son and Holy Ghost are One God, manifested in Three persons. Gen 1: 26. "God, Elohim, [Plural], said let US, [Plural] make man in OUR [Plural] image after OUR [Plural] likeness", On God manifested in Three persons. Jn 1: 1. In the beginning was the word, [Jesus], and the word was with God, [Theos], and the word, [Jesus], Was God, [Theos], Acts 5: 3--4 calls the Holy Ghost God, [Theos].

I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior when I was a teenager. I've never spoken in tongues or picked up a serpent or cast out a demon or drank deadly poison without being hurt by it.

The thief on the cross was never baptized and never spoke in tongues. And Jesus Christ, Himself, as they were both dying, assured the thief that that very day they would be in Paradise.

There Are many gifts that every believer Will receive at least one of at the time of their salvation. The Holy Spirit gives gifts to individuals as He deems appropriate for the sake of the local church. And we Are given guidelines for tongues in the church body. There can be two or three and then there must be an interpreter there to clarify what is being said.

And there is a prayer language spoken of.

The tongues spoken of in Acts 2 was Peter speaking to the group of Jews who'd gathered from all regions. They were amazed that each of them could understand what Peter was saying in their own language. Vs 4 says that they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages As the Spirit Enabled them. Which suggests that not all of them Were speaking in other languages.

The Mark 16 passage is one of those unusual passages -- and these signs will accompany those who believe. One of my thoughts has been that since this passage was given shortly before Christ ascended back up to heaven, that it was simply signifying to the people that Christ's influence was not gone just because He'd left. His influence was being continued in the community through the signs and wonders that were being done through His disciples.

Some of these still are being done in other countries that have yet to be reached by the Gospel. There Are some countries where demon possession is a very real event and problem. And, no doubt, there are times when missionaries Have gone deeper into the jungle areas which still do exist -- and the natives are hearing the Gospel in their own language even thought the missionary isn't familiar with their particular dialect.

But - for the Most part -- there are interpreters used now days -- and lots of people are bi- tri-- lingual -- so there is less and less usage / need For tongues.

And some people are more emotional than others and I suspect that That is where prayer languages come in. I've been in some churches where the pastor stirs up the emotions of the congregation. Decisions are made in the heighth of emotions and are forgotten about when they are off their emotional high. And I've Also been in church services where the Holy Spirit is really working in people's hearts. There is a real difference in the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Mark 16:17-18 NASB. These [fn]signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Just for clarification, are you claiming that all believers who receive the Holy Spirit will do all of the above on as regular a basis as they "speak in new tongues"? I ask because it reads like a package deal that "I" always applied as applicable to the whole body collectively, rather than to each and every individual. If "tongues" is for every believer (without exception) then the rest of the package should apply as well. Right?

Jesus said the "BELIEVER" shall do those things., What if a Christian was on own with a sick person, and with no Pastor or no one with the gifts of healings, Then thank God for Mk 16: 18, They can tell the sick person about Jesus the healer, and lay hands on them, and the shall be healed, As God will always confirm His word, Mk 16: 20. As for tongues, In every Biblical account of people being baptised in the Holy Ghost, They all spoke in tongues, Making tongues the Biblical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Ghost. What if someone tried to poison you, or if you got bit by a poisonous, You would want Mk 16: 17--18 to work for you, And so would God. Any believer can cast out devils through the mighty name of Jesus, In Lk 10: 1. Jesus sent out another seventy to heal the sick and cast out devils, Vs 9, & 17. Jesus said seventy wasn't enough, Pray that Gos will send more out, V2. And the seventy came back rejoicing because the demons were subject to them through the name of Jesus, V17. Jesus said He gave them power over the devil, V19.

Mark 16:17-18 is about the apostles establishing the church with authority marked by signs. What we're reading here is a prophecy, Jesus is saying those things will happen within belivers, and those things did happen, like at Pentecost and when Paul picked up and was bitten by a snake and was unharmed.

• Like 1

By far the most powerful and important turning point in my life was an experience of glossolalia at Manhattan Beach Camp in Manitoba. I was 16 at the time and felt I had lost my faith. I was determined to give it my best shot to find God real, but not to succumb to wishful thinking and emotionalism. That fateful, Tuesday, I went on a 7 mile walk towards Ninette, MB, pleading with God to make Himself real to me and promising to surrender my life to His service if He did. That evening, I did something I'd never done before. I fasted for dinner and put my dinner money in the offering plate. After the service, I stayed at the altar and prayed to be filled with the Spirit as i had previously done in vain. After almost everyone (about 1,000) left the amphitheatre, my heart still felt like stone as I tarried in prayer. Then suddenly I felt a warm breeze, but it wasn't the wind from nearby Pelican Lake; it was the Holy Spirit first warming me and then possessing me. I was forced against my will to speak in tongues at the top of my voice. More importantly, wave after wave of liquid love surged through my being with ever increasing intensity until I feared it might kill me. My ego seemed on the verge of collapse into the divine mind. Yet my fear was so full of awe and wonder!

A Lutheran pastor observed me, unseen, and quietly came and knelt beside me. He told me he was not Pentecostal and had only come to the camp meeting as an interested observer. He said he could tell God was doing a special work in me and he asked me to pray for him. The moment i touched his forehead, he exploded into tongues like me. Another lady was sitting in the now darkened amphtheatre and just staring at me. Self-conscious, I asked her why. She said, "Don't you know? Your face is glowing in the dark!"

When it was all over, I realized that God had said to me clearly: "Son, you long for answers to burning questions. But answers aren't good for you right now. They will make you live in your head, and i want you to live in your heart. I want you to live your questions until they lead you to the center of my heart." That message is the reason for my long educational pilgrimage from BA to MDiv to doctorate in NT, Cultural Backgrounds, and Intertestamental Judaism. Interestingly, the experience made me a much better student than I had ever been.

Classical Pentecostals believe that speaking in tongues is the unique initial evidence of Spirit baptism. This thread will initially focus on the often electrifying experience of speaking in tongues. Later, I will discuss the NT teaching about this gift. its relationship with Spirit baptism, and the danger of counterfeit gifts of the Spirit. I will also explain how you can have a genuine experience of speaking in tongues yourself. Just as marijuana is often considered a gateway drug for the use of hard drugs like cocaine, the tongues experience described above served as my gateway experience for other charisms, especially "the word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 12:8)." Shortly, I will start a thread entitled "The Spirituality of Premonitions" to document my many premonitions.

Not all sings and wonders are from God, I find it quite odd that many who speaks in tounges talk about a loss of control one of the fruits of the Spirit are self control and the apostle Paul commands the Corinthians to not speaks in tounges all at the same time, something they couldn't do if had no control.

Mark 16:17-18 is about the apostles establishing the church with authority marked by signs. What we're reading here is a prophecy, Jesus is saying those things will happen within belivers, and those things did happen, like at Pentecost and when Paul picked up and was bitten by a snake and was unharmed.

Jesus didn't say it was just for the Apostles, in Mk 16: 17--18, Did He, He said, "These signs shall follow THEM that BELIEVE ", and v20 says God confirms His word with signs following, it doesn't matter who does the preachIng,/speaking of God's word, God will confirm His word, Not the speakers words.

Jesus also said the BELIEVER shall do the same works that He did.

God didn't have a plan A for the first Church, and a plan B for the later day Church.

Not all sings and wonders are from God, I find it quite odd that many who speaks in tounges talk about a loss of control one of the fruits of the Spirit are self control and the apostle Paul commands the Corinthians to not speaks in tounges all at the same time, something they couldn't do if had no control.

Christians can controlled the tongues, the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. Where does Paul mention a loss of control.

I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior when I was a teenager. I've never spoken in tongues or picked up a serpent or cast out a demon or drank deadly poison without being hurt by it.

The thief on the cross was never baptized and never spoke in tongues. And Jesus Christ, Himself, as they were both dying, assured the thief that that very day they would be in Paradise.

There Are many gifts that every believer Will receive at least one of at the time of their salvation. The Holy Spirit gives gifts to individuals as He deems appropriate for the sake of the local church. And we Are given guidelines for tongues in the church body. There can be two or three and then there must be an interpreter there to clarify what is being said.

And there is a prayer language spoken of.

The tongues spoken of in Acts 2 was Peter speaking to the group of Jews who'd gathered from all regions. They were amazed that each of them could understand what Peter was saying in their own language. Vs 4 says that they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages As the Spirit Enabled them. Which suggests that not all of them Were speaking in other languages.

The Mark 16 passage is one of those unusual passages -- and these signs will accompany those who believe. One of my thoughts has been that since this passage was given shortly before Christ ascended back up to heaven, that it was simply signifying to the people that Christ's influence was not gone just because He'd left. His influence was being continued in the community through the signs and wonders that were being done through His disciples.

Some of these still are being done in other countries that have yet to be reached by the Gospel. There Are some countries where demon possession is a very real event and problem. And, no doubt, there are times when missionaries Have gone deeper into the jungle areas which still do exist -- and the natives are hearing the Gospel in their own language even thought the missionary isn't familiar with their particular dialect.

But - for the Most part -- there are interpreters used now days -- and lots of people are bi- tri-- lingual -- so there is less and less usage / need For tongues.

And some people are more emotional than others and I suspect that That is where prayer languages come in. I've been in some churches where the pastor stirs up the emotions of the congregation. Decisions are made in the heighth of emotions and are forgotten about when they are off their emotional high. And I've Also been in church services where the Holy Spirit is really working in people's hearts. There is a real difference in the atmosphere.

All the disciples in Acts 2: 4--11, we're speaking a foreign language, in tongues. Tongues that are a foreign language, and tongues that need an interpretation, are just two of the seven or eight operations of tongues that the Bible records. And even one of them are needed today, along with healing's and miracles.

Jesus didn't say it was just for the Apostles, in Mk 16: 17--18, Did He, He said, "These signs shall follow THEM that BELIEVE ", and v20 says God confirms His word with signs following, it doesn't matter who does the preachIng,/speaking of God's word, God will confirm His word, Not the speakers words.

Jesus also said the BELIEVER shall do the same works that He did.

God didn't have a plan A for the first Church, and a plan B for the later day Church.

When the verse is held in light of the rest of Scripture we can see what Jesus means. All that Jesus said believers would do they did. Jesus did not say believers will always do those things. For example we know that not all were healed in the new testament by believers and not all spoke in toungs.

1 Cor. 13.8-9 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophesies, they shall fail; whether there be tounges, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

• Like 1