The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
th1bill

Hello Folks

th1bill

Just call me Bill please. I'm a 72 Vietnam Veteran that came to the foot of the cross Ne Year's Morning, Bar Time. I have MS and no longer work. I have taught the scriptures from my second year in until recently, now I am not reliable because of my disease.

• Like 3

Origen
Staff

Hello and welcome Bill

• Like 2

Placable37

Good on you, Bill.

(It's an idiom here in NZ...usually said, "Good on yah, mate.")

• Like 2

Just Mike

Welcome Bill, I too am a Navy Vet. I am sorry to learn of your MS. You have much to add here, so join right in, and a BIG glad your are here!

justme

• Like 2

Dutch

New here myself. Trying to navigate my way around the site. I am an avid reader and enjoy walking and being active .

• Like 2

Placable37
New here myself. Trying to navigate my way around the site. I am an avid reader and enjoy walking and being active .

Hi Dutch, Interesting the number of people around our age coming to this site. Hope you can stick around.

• Like 2

David Lee

Hi Dutch, WELCOME to you as well :) If you need help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask us!

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

• Like 1

pursuetruth

Hello, Bill. Thank you and God bless you, for your service.

• Like 2

Just Mike

Welcome Bill, I am a Navy vet too. God bless you and I look to reading your posts.

• Like 1

deade

Hello and welcome Bill & Dutch,

I am also new here and I look forward to fellowship with you.

Yours,

Deade

• Like 2

th1bill
Welcome Bill, I am a Navy vet too. God bless you and I look to reading your posts.

( wasn't in the Navy, I was one of those screw-ball Killer Spades in the 229th AsH Bn. I was and at heart still am one of those that this p.s. applies to.

The Naval Aviator was well decorated and more pilots were needed to fkll the Cockpits of all those Jets below the deck of the Flat-Tops. So it was on his return the Commander was sent on a College Tour to interest youStationng College Grads to enlist and to become Aviators as soon as his leave for the Year of War in Vietnam. After he was back to his next Duty Station the letter from a youngster about to graduate asking him which Service to join and fly with.

The return read something like: If you want Your future mother-in-law and father-in-law to love you and you wat to sleep with your future wife, most every night and to see future children every night when you get off work, join the Air Force. If, on the other hand, you want to know the name of the tiny Asian girl at the other end of the bar in Singapore, join the Navy.

He signed it Respectfully yours and signed it.

Then there was the Post Script, p.s. Wnat ever you do, do not join the Army fly Helicopters. They, to the man are stupid crazy and have a death wish.

See, and I thought we were jusr doing our duty, I had no idea.

• Like 2

Just Mike

When our son was ready to join the service, I told him go in the Air Force, they they treat people like they love them. In the Navy men with a family often were told "we didn't issue that wohated that when asking for leave or my earned time off. I always tell young men to go into the Air Force, less lilkely you will get killed.

• Like 1

William
Staff
The return read something like: If you want Your future mother-in-law and father-in-law to love you and you wat to sleep with your future wife, most every night and to see future children every night when you get off work, join the Air Force. If, on the other hand, you want to know the name of the tiny Asian girl at the other end of the bar in Singapore, join the Navy.

I am Air Force. I betcha Marines and Army fell for that slogan. You know, when I was entering into the military, Army and Marines only needed to score a 40% on the ASVAB to qualify. Air Force and Navy had to qualify with a minimum of 80%. The ASVAB is the equivalent of a college SAT. I scored 92%, and must say I would never fall for that sales pitch by a recruiter. That is, unless he wanted to put that in writing? I want my future mother and father law to love me, and to sleep with my wife. And though I could do without seeing my kids every day when getting off work, I want a contract. If he signed it,

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,

Climbing high, into the sun,

Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,

At ’em boys, Give’er the gun! (Give’er the gun now!)

Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,

Off with one heckuva roar!

We live in fame, or go down in flame,

Hey! Nothing’ll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,

Sent it high into the blue,

Hands of men blasted the world asunder,

How they lived God only knew!

Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer,

Gave us wings ever so soar,

With scouts before and bombers galore, Hey!

Nothing’ll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Here’s a roast to the host of those

Who love the vastness of the sky,

To a friend we send a message,

Of his brother men who fly,

We drink to those who gave their all of old,

Then down we roar,

To score the rainbow’s pot of gold,

A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,

Keep the wings level and true,

If you’d live to be a grey haired wonder,

Keep your nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)

Flying men, guarding the nation’s border,

We’ll be there, followed by more,

In echelon we carry on, Hey!

Nothing’ll stop the U.S. Air Force!

By the way, I went in during Desert Shield with the desire of kicking some foreign booty and at the end of Basic the war turned full blown Desert Storm. Heaven Storm'n unrestrained! (headed by Storm'n Norman). You poor Marines were so deprived of action, by time the Air Force and Navy had their way..... pounding day and night mercilessly for weeks on end.

I remember the announcement, the briefing, and following Chaplain which addressed thousands upon thousands of Airmen. He said, if you can stand your ground while one more woman, child, man, or brother in arms retreats to high ground, and in the process you should lose your life, then remember this, John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." Thousands of soldiers raised to their feet from bending knee. Soon after I kissed my pilot and craft goodbye on a sortie carrying 2000 pound bunker busters after making a cross upon my chest to christen its flight - God speed.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Just Mike

William, did you know the Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force? Its true. That seemed rather odd when I was told that, but most of the aircraft attacking the enemy are Navy, from Aircraft Carriers

• Like 1

William
Staff
William, did you know the Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force? Its true. That seemed rather odd when I was told that, but most of the aircraft attacking the enemy are Navy, from Aircraft Carriers

That's a myth according to this site: http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-6-craziest-military-myths-2015-6

This is something that gets passed around Army circles with pride and is occasionally mentioned by other services with embarrassment. Well, buck up little sailors and airmen, the top rankings actually do go to their respective services.

The Army has 5,117 aircraft — which is surprisingly high, but the Air Force still wins with 5,199 according to the 2015 Aviation Plan from the Department of Defense. Sometimes, the myth says the Navy has the most aircraft, but even when counting the Marine Corps helicopters and planes, the Department of the Navy comes in third with 3,847.

As for watercraft, the Army had the largest seagoing fleet in World War II, but now has only 118 watercraft in total. While the Navy certainly has more vessels than this, nitpickers will insist that most Navy vessels are “ships,” and so the Army could still have more “boats.”

Well, the Naval Expeditionary Combat Command has 354 craft (page 6). The smallest are its Zodiac inflatable boats and the largest are its 85′ MK VI patrol boats. Also, there are the 700 craft of Naval Special Warfare, mostly 81-foot boats and smaller. So, yeah, the Navy seems to have this in the bag.

God bless,

William

Just Mike

Interesting as this is what I was told when I went in the NAVY, but then again that was when we were at a war. But evil Mr. Obama so drained down the Military I think Bolivia may have had a larger Military

th1bill

I didn't know that but that might be the reason we saw more Navy Pursuit than than AF Jet Fighters but doesn't that mean the Navy chases after the enemy and the AF shoots them down? The Army? What did they expect it is difficult to shoot Migs, even a Miug 17 with a Huey Slick. And the Air Force threw a hissy fit when our Generals contracted for the F-4 for Close Combat Support. Imagine that, they were worried we might become more like the Marines and not need you folks.

William
Staff
Interesting as this is what I was told when I went in the NAVY, but then again that was when we were at a war. But evil Mr. Obama so drained down the Military I think Bolivia may have had a larger Military

I'm sure our branches are fluid and at times can adapt and improvise according to mission requirements. I do not doubt that at certain times of history that various branches were grown or deprived based on necessity. I was in during Bill Clinton and experienced several base closures in the Air Force. Myrtle Beach South Carolina was one that was shut down. Shaw AFB South Carolina was a F-16 base which acquired all the A-10s from Myrtle Beach after they closed. Not to mention they were cutting soldiers pretty hard, targeting at that time E5s which were being paid to get out in order to down size.

Just Mike

We trained A4 pilots to land on carrier decks, and the old A1 sky raiders. I really liked those old A1's they could carry more weight than they weighed. Those props were very dangerous, more than a few walked into the prop. The F8U aircraft sucked more than few sailors into the intake. But as a Crash rescueman it was always keeping your eyes and ears wide open as danger was always present.

William
Staff
And the Air Force threw a hissy fit when our Generals contracted for the F-4 for Close Combat Support.

Shaw AFB the 363rd Fighting Falcons where I was stationed used to be a Wild Weasel F-4 base. Of course the F-4s were decommissioned and replaced with our F-16s. We were mainly night time reconnaissance having the ability through the Lantern system to see clearly from above and at night. Therefore, most of our exercises were at night time. Needlessly said, our base roamed with activity at night with 3 F-16 Squadrons taking off and landing multiple times throughout the night. It made for some difficult times when first arriving to the base until adapting to the noise level.

Wild Weasels were the most deadly duty position in aviation. If anyone doesn't know what they do, two F-4s would fly in line just over the tree tops deep over hot enemy territory. The lead F-4 would then pop up and go vertical where suspected SAM missile sites were gathered from intelligence. Meanwhile the trailing F-4 would remain low over tree tops while watching for missiles being launched at the lead F-4 still gaining altitude. When missiles are launched at the lead his role changes to avoid being shot down through evasion (his role is to be shot at), then the second trailing F-4 pops up while locking onto now exposed SAM sites which launched at his lead. He fires at will taking out the SAM missile sites. The action of being low and popping up gained the name Wild Weasels.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Just Mike

Someone once said "war is Hell", and anyone who has been involved would surly agree. What I find so detestable is those who do all they can to invent, encourage, and make huge profits on the backs of those required to fight their wars. Such like of President LBJ. He had a vested investment in Brown and Root, that made 10% on everything being during the years 1964 to the end of his presidency.

Those who deliberately with the intentions of inventing conflicts to make money of of war or even if its called a conflict, are worthy of hell. Such was the case from 1962 to 1974. How many died? Like many I ask for what? The war accomplished NOTHING. I know that out of my High school graduation class of 1964 the death tole was staggering.