The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ChatterBox

The 'feel' of a church

ChatterBox

Something I was thinking about was how some churches just don't feel like churches anymore. When I was young I went on holiday with my parents and stopped by a church that was famous locally. When we stepped inside it didn't feel like a church, even though there wasn't definite we could pin it down to. We all commented when we left it just felt like another historic building or art gallery not a place of worship. On the way back, a few hundred yards down the road we passed a small brick building with a cross above it and stopped in there. It was empty, being a weekday morning, but it felt wlecoming - there was a presence there that was absent from the larger church. Guess which congregation we joined for the two weeks we were there?

Have you have anything similar? Churches where it just feels like something's missing, even if there's not a sermon or anything specific that you can put it down to.

(Editied because I can't spell. At all.)

JeremyBenson11

I've never really had this problem. Grand Manan, where I live, is a small island of 3000. All the churches are homey feeling. I wouldn't go to the catholic church though, I don't agree with their religion very much. Not beyond Jesus himself. I don't even know if a Catholic can get into heaven if they don't repent to Jesus, and only stick to a man in a box.

Just Mike

I have been to Mexico City, Mexico, La Paz, Bolivia, and seen a couple of Basilica's. They were great structures and built by poor people paying to release their loved ones from purgatory and indulgences for sins. In knowing that the Roman Catholic Church back then and now is unbiblical and holds people captive by deceitful means makes these huge buildings just that, not genuine Churches Christ Jesus died on a bloody cross for.

The buildings are beautifully built, that is true, but I do not feel the Holy Spirit presents in any Roman Catholic Church. I have however been in Churches that were made of raw natural materials that to us in America might say should be torn down. There The Holy Spirit presents could seen in the lives of those Worshiping Jesus Christ and the Holy Father, those church buildings were magnificant, not because of the building but because God was there in the people.

Justme