The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

3 Encouragements to #MeToo Victims in the Church

Support

“Me Too.”In one two-word tweet Alyssa Milano set off a firestorm of victim’s voices throughout Twitter and Facebook. On Sunday night, she issued an invitation for sexual assault victims to make their voice heard:

“Suggested by a friend: ‘If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote “Me Too.” as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.”

Twenty-four hours later, the response was overwhelming. The magnitude of #MeToo had been retweeted more than a million times on Twitter and over 12 million times on Facebook. Celebrities like Lady Gaga and Debra Messing and women everywhere are tired of remaining silent. On the heels of the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault allegations and the massive cover-up that continues to unfold in the Hollywood industry, victims everywhere want the opportunity to be heard, and they’re hoping it’s finally time.

For the sake of brevity, I won’t attempt to discuss the massively destructive and far-reaching implications of sexual assault on a victim’s life; we know they are complicatedly vast. And as it pertains to the film industry and the wake of Weinstein victims, we’re still waiting on more truth to come to light and justice for the victims. What I want to communicate in this article are truths #MeToo victims can cling to when the sexual assault occurs in our own community or the cover-up happens in the church.

Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstock/Jacob Ammentorp Lund

More...

Just Mike

I can say honestly "#Me too" Its not unique for men to have been molested. Most people keep sexual assault quiet for many reasons. However this "#me too" explosion sure makes it known there is a HUGE problem that we were not fully aware of before. Its time to make changes in the law protect children and especially women not only in the work place, but everywhere.

Too often when a person makes a accusation of sexual assault, rape, or sexual harassment either the authorities don't know how to deal with it or ignore the accuser. If anything about our person hood is sacred , its our sexuality. Scripture warns that persons who harm children will face sever judgement bu God almighty. But Gods Judgement on earth is issued by us on earth now. That's is often not the case. In close family situations sexual abuse, assault, rape, and even pregnancy.

When the church is involved or becomes aware of sexual issues that must be reported, NOTHING should stop the church from reporting this to authorities, ever, ever. Its the law we must report this...always!!!

justme..

Placable37

Without Christ the world struggles to cope and has no remedy for the cycle of abuse.

When comforting those who have been sexually assaulted, raped, or treated callously I like to use these verses.

Heb 4:14-16

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

We have a great high priest, our Lord Jesus Christ who sympathises with us, and has been tested through trials as a person of flesh and blood just like us.

Not to diminish the impact of violations against oneself, but bitterness and desire for revenge are not the way to victory. Nor are self-pity and despair.

We live in a wicked world but thankfully it is not a permanent one.

2Co 4:17-18

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Just Mike
Without Christ the world struggles to cope and has no remedy for the cycle of abuse.

When comforting those who have been sexually assaulted, raped, or treated callously I like to use these verses.

Heb 4:14-16

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

We have a great high priest, our Lord Jesus Christ who sympathises with us, and has been tested through trials as a person of flesh and blood just like us.

Not to diminish the impact of violations against oneself, but bitterness and desire for revenge are not the way to victory. Nor are self-pity and despair.

We live in a wicked world but thankfully it is not a permanent one.

2Co 4:17-18

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

I am unsure how this relates to the topic?

justme

Placable37

I am unsure how this relates to the topic?

justme

I'm not sure what your unsure about, justme, but to clarify my post on the topic of victims of sexual abuse subscribing to #MeToo on twitter, I see it as a social media band-aid based on worldly wisdom rather than heavenly wisdom. I'm sure you know these verses.

(Jas 3:14-18)

But if you have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.

This wisdom descends not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

(Psa 1:1-6)

Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law does he meditate day and night.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he does shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind drives away.

Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

For the LORD knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

How would you counsel someone who has come to you for comfort and support if not from the Word of God? I'm sure there is something temporarily cathartic about registering as a victim, and political moves to improve social interactions might follow but I believe while the aggrieved still regard themselves as victims they are less than conquerors.

Thanks for pressing me further, justme. Hope your health is holding up.

• Like 1

Just Mike

Placable37 I too an sure there some dishonest people saying "me too". For hundreds of years women especially have been treated like a "thing" for sexual release. How long have women been forced to marry someone they hated, because they were very old men or men that had no idea of what real " love was all about. No religion treats women as bad as Islam. Child brides are common, I mean as young as six. Rape in all countries today is common. Seldom does a woman get justice in any legal system. Women often find they wind up raising a child conceived in rape. Can you imagine how difficult that would be?

I can honestly say any man who thinks His life is harder than a woman's is either stupid or has never watched a woman with children in a grocery store. I have told my wife that her life was and is so much harder than mine.

If a women is bold enough to come out and say"me too" I believe her, and if a woman is not telling the truth, there are millions who have kept quiet because they don't dare say a word.

I say all this just so you all can see a side I have.

justme