The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Elda

Alcohol consumption

Elda

What does God say about alcohol consumption?

Do you think it possible that any of the modern vintage wines could compete in quality and taste to the miracle wine that Jesus made from water?

Is it better to abstain from drinking alcohol or to consume alcohol in moderation?

• Would you qualify any of your answers based on the type of drink: beer, wine, brandy, spirits, etc.

• Like 1

Bliss

Do you think it possible that any of the modern vintage wines could compete in quality and taste to the miracle wine that Jesus made from water?

Is it better to abstain from drinking alcohol or to consume alcohol in moderation?

• Would you qualify any of your answers based on the type of drink: beer, wine, brandy, spirits, etc.

As an alcoholic myself,.. I'd like you to question yourself to why you feel the need to ask this question., as I sin in this department of faith I can only advise to drink in moderation..

I am no expert in brewing alcoholic drinks but I'd assume spirits and beer were most probably not invented/discovered yet. I do know that the alcohol content has changed a lot during the times of beverages.. I wouldn't have imagined the wine Jesus and the like drank being as strong as it is today,.. That's my guess.. I don't think anybody actually knows, nor what the wine Jesus made or drank tasted like..

there are a few mentions of alcohol in the Bible, wasn't Noah caught acting foolish on alcohol?..

being a drunkard is stated to be something God detests.

• Like 1

William
Staff

Do you know how Jesus turned water into wine? Jesus commanded the water and it blushed :RpS_blushing:

In all seriousness, Christian liberty can be summarized as the freedoms which we utilize within the boundaries of the moral law. We know that Jesus drank wine and as you pointed out not only did He make wine from water, but He even commanded us to drink wine in the Sacraments. Although alcohol consumed in excess to the point of drunkenness is sinful.

I love Luther's below quote which deals with how the Devil uses legalism. As an example, an idol in my life can force me to walk across the street one way or the other. In other words if I am an alcoholic seeing a pub may draw me towards the other side of the street where the pub is located. If I am on the side of the street of a pub it may compel me to walk across the street away from it. Either way it acts as an idol which exhibits control over me.

Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to. - Martin Luther

And no, I would not qualify my answer on the kind of drink or even if we are comparing drugs to alcohol. Any substance deliberately altering our consciousness has the risk of sinful sorcery too if misused.

On a personal note, I am a "wet" Presbyterian which believes there is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it is done in moderation. Personally, I really really like beer, and that became enough of a problem that I have refrained from drinking it. I began relying on it to calm down and relax before bed. The reliance aspect was my concern. Though I am not exhibiting alcoholic symptoms such as withdraws etc, I do not want anything becoming a negative pattern of behavior or another substance abuse problem. I struggled in the past with a 15 year drug addiction, and a 20 year cigarette addiction. I have been clean now for several years and don't want one thing replaced with another in my life.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Elda
.. I'd like you to question yourself to why you feel the need to ask this question., as I sin in this department of faith I can only advise to drink in moderation..

I suspected that answers from people on this forum would be different than answers I hear from my peers; and I could learn from others how to better respond to peer pressure as it relates to consuming alcoholic beverages.

Do I understand you correctly, that your advice is to, without qualification, "drink in moderation?"

William
Staff
Do I understand you correctly, that your advice is to, without qualification, "drink in moderation?"

IF one drinks, then drinking in moderation is the biblical answer:

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

God bless,

William

Bliss

I suspected that answers from people on this forum would be different than answers I hear from my peers; and I could learn from others how to better respond to peer pressure as it relates to consuming alcoholic beverages.

Yes.. It's the aspect that while drunk another non biblical persona will come out.. A boastful, greedy, narcissistic, abnoxious, lustful , selfish personality will mask over you're faithful one..

It's not the drink that's the issue, it's the way it takes you away from you're faith.. You won't find many people in my opinion that will advise to get drunk everyday of your life.. Not even alcoholics..

why don't you go along to a homeless shelter for the day?.. Or some rehab place & speak to alcoholics about how alcohol is or isn't advised. I can only give you my opinion and common sense.

I'd also like to add I would imagine the vast majority of Christians have gotten drunk at some point in their lives.. If you are worried about a drunken episode I wouldn't worry.

Sue D.

My thought is that no one knows who will be in trouble with that very first drink. Personally, I've never had a drink of alcohol. Wasn't raised with it -- never desired to try it. My husband was raised in an abusive household. He's never touched it, either. Several of his brothers indulged in Pepsi.

@Bliss -- from the background that you've shared in Forum -- I'm surprised at your non-challant attitude towards alcohol consumption. On that other thread a while back you'd shared your heavy involvement in alcohol. A big part of it is Why a person feels so drawn To liquor / alcohol in the first place. And, yes, Some people Can be content with a beer or two after work / with pizza. They will only drink at home around the table with their kids around. It's like sitting down and enjoying Pepsi.

Many years ago I worked as a waitress in a restaurant that served beer. I was the only one on duty who was old enough To serve. I found I didn't like the 'aroma' of beer and I could observe how drinking was affecting the people who I'd been waiting on. They were't rowdy -- just gradually more and more obnoxious.

So - since this thread is about alcohol consumption -- I'll recommend staying away from all of it. That one verse says moderation in all things. And we are also to always be in control of our actions.

• Like 1

Just Mike

i know this is an issue that christians debate about. I am fully aware of both sides of this issue of drinking or not to.

The wine used in the days of Jesus that most everone, including children was diluted several times to the point it would take a large amount to even feel a thing. That being said some did not diluted the wine and it was warned about in Psalms.

Here is the real issue as I understand Scripture.Romans 14:13-23 I am not to be a cause for someone to stumble in their faith because of my eating, drinking or behavior. In verse 20 there is says "Do not to destroy the work of God for the sake of food" I have heard many times especially by men who had a drinking problem "Well Jesus drank wind didn't he?" This is difficult to explain to a non Christian as why not to drink. If a person does drink and tries to tell a person with a drinking problem that he should stop drinking the person with the problem is looking for a way to discredit your suggestion to stop drinking.

Frankly abusive drinking is huge problem. I have seldom if ever talked to anyone who has not be drunk in their life time. Often children have witnessed this many times in their homes.

I think its a poor testimony for a church going Christian, that after church they go to the store and buy alcohol. What kind of testimony does this tell the unsaved world? We as Christians must live lives different that the unsaved world does. I would also say smoking falls into an even worse state.

As Christians have no excuse for a poor testimony before the world. That does not mean we are perfect, but we are to strive to be Holy before our Lord God Almighty.

I am being blunt, and strict, but we as Followers of Jesus Christ must see ourself as the world sees us, and to be an effective witness we must live differently than the unsaved live. I am not saying living a Christian is easy, we are to be the "Light in a very dark world.

justme

• Like 3

fairystar

Do you know how Jesus turned water into wine? Jesus commanded the water and it blushed :RpS_blushing:

In all seriousness, Christian liberty can be summarized as the freedoms which we utilize within the boundaries of the moral law. We know that Jesus drank wine and as you pointed out not only did He make wine from water, but He even commanded us to drink wine in the Sacraments. Although alcohol consumed in excess to the point of drunkenness is sinful.

I love Luther's below quote which deals with how the Devil uses legalism. As an example, an idol in my life can force me to walk across the street one way or the other. In other words if I am an alcoholic seeing a pub may draw me towards the other side of the street where the pub is located. If I am on the side of the street of a pub it may compel me to walk across the street away from it. Either way it acts as an idol which exhibits control over me.

And no, I would not qualify my answer on the kind of drink or even if we are comparing drugs to alcohol. Any substance deliberately altering our consciousness has the risk of sinful sorcery too if misused.

On a personal note, I am a "wet" Presbyterian which believes there is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it is done in moderation. Personally, I really really like beer, and that became enough of a problem that I have refrained from drinking it. I began relying on it to calm down and relax before bed. The reliance aspect was my concern. Though I am not exhibiting alcoholic symptoms such as withdraws etc, I do not want anything becoming a negative pattern of behavior or another substance abuse problem. I struggled in the past with a 15 year drug addiction, and a 20 year cigarette addiction. I have been clean now for several years and don't want one thing replaced with another in my life.

God bless,

William

William this is great news Im so happy for you for quitting smoking and drinking,that is great news and great to hear,my dad was a smoker for many many years he did quit,he is still a drinker though.

• Like 1

jud50

Interesting question. I would assume Jesus made the best wine.

It’s a liberty. The book of romana tells you how manage liberties. Don’t let them control you and if a brother believes it wrong then don’t drink in front of them.

fairystar

although I have never had the urge to drink alcohol in my life I just never have and never will.

• Like 1

Explorer55

Personally, I was delivered from alcoholism by the Lord by age 29. I have had absolutely no desire whatsoever for alcohol since that time. The craving I had for it completely disappeared. I have no problem setting foot in a bar for example while traveling on vacation or out on a date or something. But I order something non-alcoholic. Alcohol in moderation is fine, if one chooses to drink it at all. The question is, "Do you have alcohol or does alcohol have you?" My Mother drank less and less as she got older eventually it being only a drink a couple of times per year. My Dad was a lifelong working alcoholic. My Grandfather a severe alcoholic. The Holy "Spirit" is all I really need!

• Like 2

Just Mike
Personally, I was delivered from alcoholism by the Lord by age 29. I have had absolutely no desire whatsoever for alcohol since that time. The craving I had for it completely disappeared. I have no problem setting foot in a bar for example while traveling on vacation or out on a date or something. But I order something non-alcoholic. Alcohol in moderation is fine, if one chooses to drink it at all. The question is, "Do you have alcohol or does alcohol have you?" My Mother drank less and less as she got older eventually it being only a drink a couple of times per year. My Dad was a lifelong working alcoholic. My Grandfather a severe alcoholic. The Holy "Spirit" is all I really need!

Good for your life and testimony. Too many non-christians use Jesus making wine for drinking them self. Best to avoid it IMO.

islandrazor

I lost weight, saved a ton of money and had more energy when I quit. Thanks God. No sin in drinking. Drunkenness Yup. Unfortunately I only drank one way, till it was gone and then buy more. Thanks again Father. God bless each of you who have, with God's help, shaken that monkey off your back.

In Christ