SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Innerfire89

Halloween. Ya or nay?

Halloween. Ya or nay?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween. Ya or nay?

• Yes, I celebrate.
    • No, buzz off!
    • Sort of.

Innerfire89

Do you celebrate Halloween? If yes, how?

If no, why not?

For myself, yes.

I understand Halloween is mingled with the occult in some cultures, but from what I understand it started as all saints day.

Prefix: hallow - holy. Suffix: een - evening.

Halloween: holy evening.

In the the American culture we do see that some occult or pagan symbols have survived, but have lost meaning. To me, all Halloween is, is just fun time of carving pumpkins, decorating the house, and candy to kids. And it's nice to chit chat with the people of my community that bring their kids to the house.

Anyhow, what are your opinions?

William
Staff

Halloween, no. But yes to Reformation Day!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Innerfire89
Halloween, no. But yes to Reformation Day!

God bless,

William

That's on the same day as Halloween?

Oo, maybe I'll dress up a scarecrow as the Pope. Lol.

• Like 1

William
Staff

For those refusing to be politically correct and wishing to tick off a few liberals this Halloween you may want to consider:

• Like 1

William
Staff

That's on the same day as Halloween?

Oo, maybe I'll dress up a scarecrow as the Pope. Lol.

Yes, Luther nailed his 95 thesis on October 31st 1517.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

ChatterBox

To a degree, if only because All Saints Day follows. We give out candy to the children who came trick or treating, which is a misnomer as there aren't any tricks performed if you don't have candy. It is just small children dressing up in costumes and going to houses that have halloween lanterns out to ask for sweets. It isn't a big celebration, and pretty much only for the kids.

I think Halloween isn't such a big thing here because there's All Saints Day (1st November), Bonfire Night (5th November) and Rememberance Day (11th November) all in quick succession, with Rememberance Sunday after that, and all the shops have started their Christmas displays by mid-October - or mid-August this year, which was ridiculous!

• Like 1

Innerfire89
To a degree, if only because All Saints Day follows. We give out candy to the children who came trick or treating, which is a misnomer as there aren't any tricks performed if you don't have candy. It is just small children dressing up in costumes and going to houses that have halloween lanterns out to ask for sweets. It isn't a big celebration, and pretty much only for the kids.

I think Halloween isn't such a big thing here because there's All Saints Day (1st November), Bonfire Night (5th November) and Rememberance Day (11th November) all in quick succession, with Rememberance Sunday after that, and all the shops have started their Christmas displays by mid-October - or mid-August this year, which was ridiculous!

Every year the stores start putting out Christmas stuff earlier and earlier, it is ridiculous. I usually wait till after Christmas, to buy decorations or gift sets if I buy them at all, it all goes on sale for really cheap. This year my family discussed not doing the presents, no one really needs anything.

theophilus

I don't celebrate it but I used to take advantage of it by passing out tracts as well as candy to the trick or treaters who came to my home.

• Like 1

Sue D.

I grew up having fun on Halloween. Everybody dressed up as something. We went around the neighborhood collecting candy. But then some 'nuts' got mean and kids started showing up in ER's with cut mouths / razor blades in candy apples and such things. After That the ER's would be open to check everyone's candy as a safety precaution. Then we started thinking twice about Halloween. Someone wrote an article questioning / challenging Christians as to what Halloween actually represented and do we have any business 'celebrating' it. Churches started having an alternative to halloween with a game night and presenting the Gospel tracts and nice Christian music. Parents were okay with that.

I Did look up Halloween to get it's history. It's Really satan's alternative to Christmas. Originally it was only in other countries where there were witches and worlocks and such. And I got to thinking - it's fun to dress up pretending to be a ghost and dress up like a witch and warlock -- but there are real Church of Satan here in the U.S. There are real witches with covens and kids that grow up in that atmosphere -- it's Not fun and games with them. And they really Do worship satan.

In our area -- if a house doesn't want to participate with giving out candy -- just don't have your porch light on. Around the corner from us there's a Baptist Church that has a fun night in their parking lot -- they block off the street so no cars can get through. A lot of people park their cars nearby or walk over.

So - years ago we stopped doing Halloween. And we don't watch the stupid, scarey movies on TV , either.

I grew up watching "Bewitched" -- it was kind of dumb and cute. No one took it seriously. It was kind of 'their' concept of sci-fi.

And now one of my favorite programs is The Good Witch -- Katherine Bell is from Jag. And Jag was one of my favorite programs. And James Denton is a really good guy. It's one of the few family friendly programs on T.V.

That which mystifies me is people decorating their homes / yards for Halloween. Christmas , yes. But for Halloween. Don't understand that.

Sue D.
I don't celebrate it but I used to take advantage of it by passing out tracts as well as candy to the trick or treaters who came to my home.

I Do know a few people who do hand out Bible tracts with some candy. What happens to the tracts is anyone's guess. But at least that effort Is being made.

CDF47

No to Halloween. It is an occult pagan day of celebration.

• Like 2

Innerfire89
I grew up having fun on Halloween. Everybody dressed up as something. We went around the neighborhood collecting candy. But then some 'nuts' got mean and kids started showing up in ER's with cut mouths / razor blades in candy apples and such things. After That the ER's would be open to check everyone's candy as a safety precaution. Then we started thinking twice about Halloween. Someone wrote an article questioning / challenging Christians as to what Halloween actually represented and do we have any business 'celebrating' it. Churches started having an alternative to halloween with a game night and presenting the Gospel tracts and nice Christian music. Parents were okay with that.

I Did look up Halloween to get it's history. It's Really satan's alternative to Christmas. Originally it was only in other countries where there were witches and worlocks and such. And I got to thinking - it's fun to dress up pretending to be a ghost and dress up like a witch and warlock -- but there are real Church of Satan here in the U.S. There are real witches with covens and kids that grow up in that atmosphere -- it's Not fun and games with them. And they really Do worship satan.

In our area -- if a house doesn't want to participate with giving out candy -- just don't have your porch light on. Around the corner from us there's a Baptist Church that has a fun night in their parking lot -- they block off the street so no cars can get through. A lot of people park their cars nearby or walk over.

So - years ago we stopped doing Halloween. And we don't watch the stupid, scarey movies on TV , either.

I grew up watching "Bewitched" -- it was kind of dumb and cute. No one took it seriously. It was kind of 'their' concept of sci-fi.

And now one of my favorite programs is The Good Witch -- Katherine Bell is from Jag. And Jag was one of my favorite programs. And James Denton is a really good guy. It's one of the few family friendly programs on T.V.

That which mystifies me is people decorating their homes / yards for Halloween. Christmas , yes. But for Halloween. Don't understand that.

I remember something being on the news when I was a kid about razor blades hidden in apples and people giving kids prescription pills. There was a pervert in my neighborhood who was handing out condoms to young girls one year. There is definitely reason for caution. In my opinion kids past the age of 12 and younger accompanied by an adult should be the only ones trick or treating, and the candy should be inspected.

You're absolutely right about the Satanist. There's a few shocking true stories I know of, like people handing out real body parts from an abandoned house and another were someone left a bunch of decappitaed anainals all over town.

But even with that I think the kids can still have safe fun trick or treating with their parents there.

There's only two movies I would watch for Halloween, Ernest Scared Stiff and the original Night of the Living Dead. But I might scratch Night of the Living Dead off my list.

I like decorating for Halloween just because I like being creative, I even make my own decorations. This year I made a snake our of soda bottles, last year I made a big spider out a soda bottle and some wire hangers, then use some pine straw to make it hairy.

Innerfire89

That's a great idea!

I always carve Psalms 91:5 into a pumpkin.

​​

Elda
Do you celebrate Halloween? If yes, how?

If no, why not?

For myself, yes.

I understand Halloween is mingled with the occult in some cultures, but from what I understand it started as all saints day.

Prefix: hallow - holy. Suffix: een - evening.

Halloween: holy evening.

In the the American culture we do see that some occult or pagan symbols have survived, but have lost meaning. To me, all Halloween is, is just fun time of carving pumpkins, decorating the house, and candy to kids. And it's nice to chit chat with the people of my community that bring their kids to the house.

Anyhow, what are your opinions?

In modern day United States it is largely a commercialized celebration involving dressing up in pop cultural iconic costumes, purchased from amazon.com through borrowing on your credit cards and putting many people unnecessarily deeper into debt.

Then parents dress up all their children and drive them over to the richest neighborhoods in the town, drop them off, and encourage them to walk up and down each street, knocking on stranger's doors, begging for handouts comprised largely of unhealthy sugary candies.

That's the status quo behavior. There's much worse behaviors going on but they're unfit for to write about...

Rest assured, the sugar cartels, candy conglomerates, dental profession, big pharma, walmart, target, amazon, and their likes are perfectly happy for people to purchase and consume these brightly colored packages filled with "tasty treats" designed to rot your children's teeth and spike the blood sugar of anyone ignorant enough partake in this annual ritual. Through your participation, you will most likely contribute in some way to the aforementioned corporate profit margins.

If we celebrate or participate in Halloween are we sitting at the table of demons? Are we imitating good or imitating evil? Are we being unequally yoked with unbelievers? Are we being conformed to this world?

• Like 1

Bliss

Halloween is an agoraphobic pedophiles dream..

No I certainly do not celebrate it.. I'm sure most people don't know what 'it' is anyway,.. To cut a long story short, and Halloween has a long history.. Its origins are the same as it is today, pagan mixed with occult..

some people think it's fun.. Personally I don't think any Christian should even think twice about getting excited about an anti Christian event, who's side are you on..

• Like 1

Innerfire89
Halloween is an agoraphobic pedophiles dream..

No I certainly do not celebrate it.. I'm sure most people don't know what 'it' is anyway,.. To cut a long story short, and Halloween has a long history.. Its origins are the same as it is today, pagan mixed with occult..

some people think it's fun.. Personally I don't think any Christian should even think twice about getting excited about an anti Christian event, who's side are you on..

It's not anti-Christian unless one makes it so. In my neiborhood the closest thing to demonic you'll find is a plastic ghost.

What side am I on? I'm at Christ side always! What side are you on?

Innerfire89

In modern day United States it is largely a commercialized celebration involving dressing up in pop cultural iconic costumes, purchased from amazon.com through borrowing on your credit cards and putting many people unnecessarily deeper into debt.

Then parents dress up all their children and drive them over to the richest neighborhoods in the town, drop them off, and encourage them to walk up and down each street, knocking on stranger's doors, begging for handouts comprised largely of unhealthy sugary candies.

That's the status quo behavior. There's much worse behaviors going on but they're unfit for to write about...

Rest assured, the sugar cartels, candy conglomerates, dental profession, big pharma, walmart, target, amazon, and their likes are perfectly happy for people to purchase and consume these brightly colored packages filled with "tasty treats" designed to rot your children's teeth and spike the blood sugar of anyone ignorant enough partake in this annual ritual. Through your participation, you will most likely contribute in some way to the aforementioned corporate profit margins.

If we celebrate or participate in Halloween are we sitting at the table of demons? Are we imitating good or imitating evil? Are we being unequally yoked with unbelievers? Are we being conformed to this world?

That's a little critical. It's not necessary to dress up as or decorate with things that are demonic or deathlike.

Buying anything from any store means your money will go to some greedy fat cat who brain washes the mulitutde with subliminal advertising.

William
Staff

That's a little critical. It's not necessary to dress up as or decorate with things that are demonic or deathlike.

Buying anything from any store means your money will go to some greedy fat cat who brain washes the mulitutde with subliminal advertising.

The actual historic idea of dressing up as Satan or his minions was to offend and ward them away. The Devil cannot stand to be mocked, belittled or made fun of. Of course, this may have been lost in today's modern culture.

As Luther would say, “The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him for he cannot bear scorn.”

That prideful devil.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Elda
That's a little critical.

It was meant to be a critique on modern halloween rituals in western (US) society. What specifically do you find a "little critical?"

It's not necessary to dress up as or decorate with things that are demonic or deathlike.

I agree. And I didn't write any such thing. Those are your words, not mine.

When I purchase warm bread at 4:30 a.m. from the mom and pop corner bakery, do you consider them among the "greedy fat cats?"

By the way, you neglected to answer any of the questions I posed...

Innerfire89

It was meant to be a critique on modern halloween rituals in western (US) society. What specifically do you find a "little critical?"

I agree. And I didn't write any such thing. Those are your words, not mine.

When I purchase warm bread at 4:30 a.m. from the mom and pop corner bakery, do you consider them among the "greedy fat cats?"

By the way, you neglected to answer any of the questions I posed...

It seems you're painting every one who celebrates Halloween is nothing more than mindless sheep who make big corporations possible and rot children's teeth.

No, mom and pop stores are not greedy fat cats, greedy maybe, but not filthy rich. Now I'm sure you don't buy everything from that one store.

​​​​​​

The answer to your questions is a no, not for me personally. I celebrate by scaring people and giving kids some candy. Nothing evil. It's just a fun time to dress up as something else and be sociable with people.

ChatterBox
I Did look up Halloween to get it's history. It's Really satan's alternative to Christmas. Originally it was only in other countries where there were witches and worlocks and such.
I thought that was Samhain which falls on the first of November or, for Christians, All Saints Day. All Hallows Eve, now Halloween, is simply the night before when Christians were to drive out evil influences before celebrating the Saints and exemplary Christians the following day. In some ways Halloween and All Saints were the Christian counter to the Samhain holiday. After all if you are driving out evil influences, you aren't celebrating them.

• Like 2

William
Staff
I celebrate by scaring people and giving kids some candy. Nothing evil. It's just a fun time to dress up as something else and be sociable with people.

A few pieces of candy are well worth scaring the beegeebers out of the little heathens. :RpS_scared:

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Sue D.

Up in central Michigan, my sister and family live in a culdesac in a fairly nice residential area. They all get together and have a potluck supper -- the kids dress up and they all just socialize -- have a good time connecting as neighbors. I guess it ends up being whatever a person decides To make it.

Bliss

It's not anti-Christian unless one makes it so. In my neiborhood the closest thing to demonic you'll find is a plastic ghost.

What side am I on? I'm at Christ side always! What side are you on?

I disagree.. You need to ask yourself the question, would Jesus participate in Halloween?.. That might answer your question.

if it's not for god, then surely it's against him?..

let's try another scenerio.. Don't dress up as anything Gothic, try a fairy dress.. What are you still allowing kids to do?

I do not agree that teaching children to beg/expect candy or other things by knocking on people's doors.. Is acceptable. It's still sinful even if you take away the satanic and pagan aspect away from it..

• Like 1

Innerfire89

I disagree.. You need to ask yourself the question, would Jesus participate in Halloween?.. That might answer your question.

if it's not for god, then surely it's against him?..

let's try another scenerio.. Don't dress up as anything Gothic, try a fairy dress.. What are you still allowing kids to do?

I do not agree that teaching children to beg/expect candy or other things by knocking on people's doors.. Is acceptable. It's still sinful even if you take away the satanic and pagan aspect away from it..

It can be for God. You can hand out Bible tracts and candy with Bible verses on it, something I did last year.

I'm allowing kids to dress up, now I admit that I don't openly rebuke parents for letting their kids wear vampire or skeleton costumes, being it would be the parents who I would be allowing. But they're kid's.

What's sinful about going door to door asking for candy? Begging is a sin? 😯