The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Elda

Should income potential be a factor in choosing a spouse?

Elda

What consideration should a woman place on the earning potential of a prospective husband?

Is a minimum wage earner sufficient? How much is too much, and how little is too little?

Does it even matter? Should it even matter?

Are there other factors that outweigh spousal earning potential?

Should men have similar expectations from prospective spouses?

6 strings brah

In my opinion,

if a man and woman come together; in the Lord, trusting the Lord that he has chosen this person for you. Than it should not matter the wealth that they have.

Trust that the Lord will have you, and provide for you. The Lord is in control of our wealth in the first place.

This is all... after praying and seeking the approval/disapproval of said person in whom you are interested in.

Most of us jump the gun, --at least i speak for myself-- and think its the one cause its fun and new, without self control.

But if still a "yes this one's yours"

Wealth shouldn't play a role in it.

We store our treasures in heaven.

And seek first the kingdom of God, knowing that he knows our hearts desires, willing and able to give them to us.

I have two wonderful God fearing friends, barely making it through --4 young kids--, and boy their faith is STRONG.

And God is so good to them. They always have just what they need, even with a little more to tithe.

It is inspiring to know that the Lord always will provide. What a wonderful God we serve.

And that is just my opinion.

• Like 2

William
Staff
What consideration should a woman place on the earning potential of a prospective husband?

For richer for poorer....

1 Timothy 6:

• 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and[c] we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

I think the world's narrative today goes something like this. A man and woman may be in the forest naked. Their basic needs are food and clothing according to Scripture. But the world's narrative says, you need to eat at the finest restaurants, you need the finest threads, and you need the grandest house. You need cars, big screen televisions, etc etc.

It is a vicious circle. We end up working to achieve the reality of the world's narrative. We go to work 40 hours away from our family. We buy a house which guarantees labor of another 20 years, on top of it there are cars etc. Contrary to that, God says if we have food and clothing with these we will be content. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, and while money in itself is not evil, it is one of the very things that we are lead astray by. I do not think that God would tempt us by the very thing that can bring us destruction.

If you find a potential spouse that is a spiritual leader, content with life's basic necessities and considers time with you above "things", would that be a negative or positive? No need to answer, but I think the answer may be quite revealing.

Proverbs 31:10-31 speaks of a God fearing woman. I held it tight while courting my now spouse.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Elda

It seems so contrary to the idea of government taxation and social security, government run health care, buying a house, educating our children in public (or private) schools (vs. homeschooling) ...

I can begin to see (and understand) why so many people are homesteading these days.

William
Staff
I can begin to see (and understand) why so many people are homesteading these days.

I know several people that home school children. They have everything but do not own property or a house. Not many can afford to own a house where I am located, especially if they are unwilling to give up the family life for things.

What is even more difficult to understand is how society benefits certain behaviors. Personally, my wife and I live right on a financial line, it would be almost beneficial if she quit her job and we just went on full benefits and lived off the welfare system. That is mind boggling to me. How taxation can cut so dearly into income that it is almost more profitable to live on benefits and let others pull the wagon.

The government can provide:

1. a house
  2. income
  3. insurance
  4. food
  5. and even an obamaphone.

I can see why so many people would rather live off benefits rather than having to labor 40 hours a week.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Elda

I know several people that home school children. They have everything but do not own property or a house. Not many can afford to own a house where I am located, especially if they are unwilling to give up the family life for things.

What is even more difficult to understand is how society benefits certain behaviors. Personally, my wife and I live right on a financial line, it would be almost beneficial if she quit her job and we just went on full benefits and lived off the welfare system. That is mind boggling to me. How taxation can cut so dearly into income that it is almost more profitable to live on benefits and let others pull the wagon.

The government can provide:

1. a house
  2. income
  3. insurance
  4. food
  5. and even an obamaphone.

I can see why so many people would rather live off benefits rather than having to labor 40 hours a week.

God bless,

William

It could be that government creates incentives for certain behaviors (i.e., your list)... and disincentives for other behaviors (homeschooling, homesteading, for example.)

One might get the impression that politicians are creating and rewarding a voter base...

• Like 2

William
Staff
One might get the impression that politicians are creating and rewarding a voter base...

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

― Alexander Fraser Tytler

What led you to that impression? J/king

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Elda

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

― Alexander Fraser Tytler

What led you to that impression? J/king

God bless,

William

Perhaps our founders foresaw that eventuality and reasoned a constitutional republic provides a safeguard to a tyrannical majority.

How long will it last?

• Like 1

Sue D.

Is a minimum wage earner sufficient? How much is too much, and how little is too little?

Does it even matter? Should it even matter?

Are there other factors that outweigh spousal earning potential?

Shouldn't the 1st consideration for a prospective husband be that he's a born-again believer? Scripture tells us to not be yoked together with unbelievers.

Then there are the marriage vows -- for richer for poorer - in sickness or in health - until death do we part.

When our younger daughter was pretty much engaged to her future husband, he had lost his job and was very concerned that we might not let them continue dating. He was a bit older -- 11 yrs. older and took his responsibility to financially support her very seriously. After a while he Was able to get another job. For a while there were only p/t jobs available , but at odd distances from each other. Not practical to have two jobs when they are so far apart. But a better job Did come through. And then he was able to get into something he was really good at -- some long hours, but he didn't mind it. They struggled for a while. Struggling financially never really hurts people -- it can help them realize what's really important in their lives together. People in other countries -- dirt poor in finances -- so is every one around them.

One thing they Should consider is the income bracket they grew up in. If they are meeting in college, they might have the same interests and goals, but if one got to college and they Know they will have to be working and the other came from a wealthy family -- those differences Could make a difference in the bigger picture of their lives. They need to be asking the important questions while they are dating. They aren't in high school any more. They Need to be taking personal responsibility for their finances.

When God puts people together, it's for His reasons / purposes.

There have been people who have been into medicine -- they have great earning potential in this country , but they feel led into medical missions. Their friends / family might think they are Crazy to 'waste' their lives on a foreign mission field. I knew a young lady who experienced exactly that. She felt led to the medical mission field. Her family decided to let her do her own thing. No financial help at all. The thing was -- if she could make it through Bible college like that -- she could make it on the mission field. Maybe that's where their future mate is waiting for them.

For prospective husbands / wives -- don't let chemistry between you let you over-look other important aspects of your relationship. Good chemistry is needed for a good marriage -- but be sure to cultivate a good Friendship as well. And there have been couples that have gone through 4 years of college together and everyone assumes that they will get married. But they don't. They go their different directions and meet their Marriage partner. In their case -- friendship did Not have chemistry. They found chemistry.

God's intention for marriage -- His purposes.

• Like 1

Innerfire89

A man is supposed to work if he can, and he should do his best at his trade, but how much money he makes doesn't matter.

• Like 2

ChatterBox

Income potential shouldn't matter, just that he is not slothful and is prepared to work which any Christian should be.

Personally, my wife and I live right on a financial line, it would be almost beneficial if she quit her job and we just went on full benefits and lived off the welfare system. That is mind boggling to me.
The welfare system on both sides of the Atlantic is completely broken. If I divorced my husband and we lived togather unmarried we'd be substantially better off, as disabled support would assist me and pay for things that we currently cover, including half my bills. It's pressure we really don't need.
  • Like 1

William
Staff
Income potential shouldn't matter, just that he is not slothful and is prepared to work which any Christian should be.

The welfare system on both sides of the Atlantic is completely broken. If I divorced my husband and we lived togather unmarried we'd be substantially better off, as disabled support would assist me and pay for things that we currently cover, including half my bills. It's pressure we really don't need.

Right, an immoral couple would benefit more. What kind a message is this?

God bless,

William

Sue D.

Right, an immoral couple would benefit more. What kind a message is this?

God bless,

William

Society has devolved to fewer and fewer morals / ethics. Satan is getting a stronger and stronger foothold in this world. He's out to destroy marriage and family -- everything that God has instituted satan is out to destroy.

It's getting to be that when a person Tries to live by Biblical morals / ethics, they stand out like a 'sore thumb'. But we Are told that 'we' are to be a light in a darkened world. And every so often we Will suffer a 'sore thumb' or a 'stubbed toe'. People will simply observe how we react To that sore thumb or stubbed toe.

There Have been retired couples who have been widowed and fall in love and want to live their older years together in an intimate way. Only trouble is that government restricts them to either or's retirement income. That happened to a sister in law -- she Had been living on his S. S. which was okay, but she still had to work. Then She retired and Assumed she would still get hers and continue with his. Didn't happen. She was only allowed the largest of the two amounts. Talk about an up-roar within the family. She had met another man and they were able to find a house in town on a corner lot. Two different entrances to the house. One on each street. They bought the house -- The realtor sold her the one address and him the other street address. So legally they were not buying a house together that couldn't be afforded. They Could afford half and half. Finally they got tired of trying to live legally and moved out in the country away from everyone. He lived his life and she lived hers.

The bigger problem is that her husband's name was Don and her boyfriends name was Also Don. I think she was looking for a replacement for him which is why the boyfriend didn't really work out that well.

When my husband worked for the school system TRS only covered him. In order for Me to get covered with S. S. he had to relinquish a percentage of his to cover me. It's worked out, okay, though.

Bliss

God bless,

William

I think our benefit system here in the UK is more generous.. Any Tom, dick or Mohammed can come over & be entitled to it all.. Why do you think all these fakeugees are invading Europe?.. Our generous offerings to everyone but the native is tearing us as a country apart. We are not far off a civil war.. It's so sad.

• Like 2