The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Elda

Secret of Manna

I don't know where this topic fits.

What exactly is manna in the Bible—was it a food and why did there seem to be so much of it?

Was it (is it) symbolic of something, what is the secret of manna?

Edited by Elda

It was a type of bread that God provided for the Children of Israel after they left Egypt. The incident is found in Exodus 16 :13 -- each person was to gather as much as he wanted / needed to eat. For those living in a tent -- one omer was allowed per person. It was all that they Needed to live. Moses was instructed that they were not try to keep any until morning. When they tried to is was wormy.

And there was also quail provided by God.

Are we satisfied by what God gives us or do we always want More.

• Like 1

It was a type of bread that God provided for the Children of Israel after they left Egypt. The incident is found in Exodus 16 :13 -- each person was to gather as much as he wanted / needed to eat. For those living in a tent -- one omer was allowed per person. It was all that they Needed to live. Moses was instructed that they were not try to keep any until morning. When they tried to is was wormy.

And there was also quail provided by God.

Are we satisfied by what God gives us or do we always want More.

Thank you.

From my observations, I'd say a lot of people always want more of everything, even people who seem to have a lot. Problem is, the things they seem to desire, they can't take with them when they die. People who believe there is no afterlife tend to accumulate a lot of worldly things, I think the same might also apply for Christians and non-Christians alike. Still other people who live in societies' gutter frequently seem to want more too, but they often have nothing but the clothes on their back and the contents of their shopping cart.

What's the deeper meaning? If there is one...

Thank you.

From my observations, I'd say a lot of people always want more of everything, even people who seem to have a lot. Problem is, the things they seem to desire, they can't take with them when they die. People who believe there is no afterlife tend to accumulate a lot of worldly things, I think the same might also apply for Christians and non-Christians alike. Still other people who live in societies' gutter frequently seem to want more too, but they often have nothing but the clothes on their back and the contents of their shopping cart.

What's the deeper meaning? If there is one...

You're looking for a still Deeper meaning.

They were remembering their past captivity in Eqypt in somewhat 'rose colored glasses'. They had been slave for Many years - 400 or so years - slave labor - very little food. They were being led Out of the slavery to freedom -- the unknown. Sometimes a person gets used to the 'bad' - it's their comfort zone -- it's all they've known. To be guided out of that to the 'new' / unknown/ can be scarey (frightening). It's easy to rationalize the bad and remember it as being better than it was. They wanted more than what God knew was best for them. Like -- is God Really sufficient for All our needs? I struggle with that. What I just shared is not original with me. I've been reading a book about attitudes / the present chapter is about covetousness. Sometimes we find it easy to want that which is not really available - in the world of relationships.

• Like 1

You're looking for a still Deeper meaning.

They were remembering their past captivity in Eqypt in somewhat 'rose colored glasses'. They had been slave for Many years - 400 or so years - slave labor - very little food. They were being led Out of the slavery to freedom -- the unknown. Sometimes a person gets used to the 'bad' - it's their comfort zone -- it's all they've known. To be guided out of that to the 'new' / unknown/ can be scarey (frightening). It's easy to rationalize the bad and remember it as being better than it was. They wanted more than what God knew was best for them. Like -- is God Really sufficient for All our needs? I struggle with that. What I just shared is not original with me. I've been reading a book about attitudes / the present chapter is about covetousness. Sometimes we find it easy to want that which is not really available - in the world of relationships.

Thank you.

That's incredible, enslaved by Egypt for 400 years.. that's longer than we've been a country. It's a difficult reality to grasp.

I've noticed a lot of people have selective memories about the past; and often remember only the good things. Maybe that's why we call it nostalgia.

Could it also be that our minds suppress certain bad things as a coping mechanism? What does God say about that?

If you don't mind saying, what is the name of the book you're reading about attitudes?

Staff
I don't know where this topic fits.

What exactly is mana in the Bible—was it a food and why did there seem to be so much of it?

Was it (is it) symbolic of something, what is the secret of mana?

God presented food without having to labor for it. The Manna is a miraculous bread likened to an Angel food:

• Exodus 16:31 Now the house of Israel called its name manna. It was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.
  • Psalm 78:25 Man ate of the bread of the angels; he sent them food in abundance.

Was it (is it) symbolic of something, what is the secret of mana?

Yes, Manna is symbolic. Manna is a type or foreshadowing of Jesus. Manna is the redemptive "anti-type" and Jesus is the redemptive "type".

• Exodus 16:15 When the people of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, “It is the bread that the LORD has given you to eat.

The Hebrew word that corresponds to our English transliteration manna (מָ‏ן) literally means, “What is it?” God's people were confounded by the heavenly bread.

John chapter 6:

• 14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

In John 6 we find the lengthiest discourse associated with one of our Lord’s two miraculous feedings. After giving thousands of Israelites bread from a few loaves, Jesus departed from the multitude because He knew they wanted Him to be the King of physical bread (John 6:15).

• 22 The next day the crowd that had stayed on the opposite shore of the lake realized that only one boat had been there, and that Jesus had not entered it with his disciples, but that they had gone away alone. 23 Then some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. 24 Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus.

No sooner did they realize that Christ was gone that they began to seek for Him (John 6:24). Jesus knew that the people wanted the type without the anti-type. The people longed for the physical bread that typified Jesus, but they didn’t want the life-giving bread from heaven.

• 25 When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?
  • 26 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jesus took this opportunity to teach the people, “Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life ” (John 6:27).

• 43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’[d] Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

The Lord reminded the crowd that Moses gave the people physical bread in the wilderness, but that all that generation inevitably died (John 6:49). The life-sustaining bread that is Christ causes those who feed on Him by faith to live forever (John 6:50-51). In case there was any question about what (or, who) the bread from heaven was, Jesus finally declared, “I am the bread of life…which came down from heaven” (John 6:35, 48, 50).

• John 8:25 So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning.

Just as those in the wilderness called the bread in the wilderness, “What is it?” so they said of Christ “Who are you” (John 8:25)?

The lesson: Unless the Lord opens the eyes of the hearts of men and women all they can see is the type and not the anti-type. Men may seek Christ for the bread that perishes, but they will not seek Him for the life-giving provision of His flesh and blood until He, by the Spirit, makes them see that He is the “bread that came down from heaven.”

God bless,

William

• Like 1

What exactly is mana in the Bible—was it a food and why did there seem to be so much of it?

The correct spelling is manna. Here is the meaning of mana according to the thefreedictionary.com:

1. A supernatural force believed to dwell in a person or sacred object.

2. Power; authority.

What most impresses me about God and manna is the fact that manna was only good for one day. So it's not as if everyone could run around and pick up a surplus of manna.... it would rot.

They needed to depend on God, each and every day, to give them their sustenance.

• Like 2