The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

Male and Female Pastors to Co-Lead Willow Creek Megachurch

Support

Willow Creek Community Church has named two people to take on the role of lead pastors at the church after founder Bill Hybels steps down.

More...

Sue D.

They are asking for problems. It would be one thing to have a husband/wife co-pastoring a church -- but the lead pastor being a woman -- No -- and the other part being a man and not being married. No. It's the recognition of being the 1st -- and the bigger problem is that it will appear to be working. She's attractive, smart -- and '"who cares about Biblical qualifications for pastors, deacons"' Or is the man involved married? They simply aren't husband and wife?!

theophilus

The article linked to contains this statement: “Bill Hybels and Willow Creek have made a move that no church of its size has done before, and I hope that moves like this will have a ripple effect across all of evangelicalism.” I hope people realize that by taking this step Willow Creek church is ceasing to be evangelical.

Sue D.
The article linked to contains this statement: “Bill Hybels and Willow Creek have made a move that no church of its size has done before, and I hope that moves like this will have a ripple effect across all of evangelicalism.” I hope people realize that by taking this step Willow Creek church is ceasing to be evangelical.

Why would making this change cause them to cease being evangelical?

Maybe -- define 'evangelical'.

theophilus

Why would making this change cause them to cease being evangelical?

Maybe -- define 'evangelical'.

Evangelicals base their beliefs on the Bible and the Bible forbids women to hold positions of leadership in the church.

• Like 1

Sue D.

Evangelicals base their beliefs on the Bible and the Bible forbids women to hold positions of leadership in the church.

Okay -- that is very true. Playing a bit of 'devils' advocate' here -- does that mean a woman can't teach salvation and other important Bible doctrine just as good as a man can?

BTW -- I'm also totally again women leading / teaching a mixed group of adults or even high schoolers because it is unBiblical. And I've also heard the 'argument' that there are many gifted women speakers / teachers. And my comment has been ' then they Should be leading women's Bible studies to be Biblical.

I've known two women who are married who are ordained ministers. One I got to know at an evening Bible study -- didn't realize it was being led by a woman. It was a very small group of mostly women, but one older couple. She did a wonderful job of having each of us read Bible passages -- would have us looking up Scriptures ourselves. Took time to help everyone find passages. Q / A time -- she was better than the male preacher at a small Baptist church I'd been going to. Several of the ladies invited me to the Methodist church she preached at. I shared with her privately Why I didn't go to her church. She was my age -- her husband was Not especially active in her church. She was definitely the 'leader'. But I complimented her on the Bible study she led. But I couldn't in good conscience listen to a woman preacher, no matter how good she was. She'd shared with the study group that there was a really good book she'd found and read and wanted to share from That the next Sunday or two. That's sort of what confirmed to myself that my decision was the right one. And as it turned out -- she has a son who's married and won't visit her church when he's local. He's a Baptist pastor and doesn't agree with her being a woman pastor. He had married a Baptist woman and felt led to the pastorate. So she and the daughter-in-law don't fellowship much.

The other woman is an ESL teacher who's also my age. She and her husband are both ordained in the Assemblies church. They co-pastor. It's a really small church. I've been interested in helping with ESL for a year or so , this recently opened up. I'd shared recently that my husband has an MA in theology and I've also had Bible college. But she's the lead teacher.

So often being Progressive in Society means ignoring unpopular passages.

theophilus
Okay -- that is very true. Playing a bit of 'devils' advocate' here -- does that mean a woman can't teach salvation and other important Bible doctrine just as good as a man can?

A woman can teach these things and there are some circumstances where she should. Here is an example of this:

Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately. (Acts 18:24-26 ESV)

Priscilla helped correct Apollos's errors. Since her name is placed ahead of her husband's it is likely she was the main teacher and Aquila helped her. But she taught Apollos privately, not publicly in the church.

It is possible for a church to be generally true to the Bible if it has a woman pastor. The church I attend has an associate pastor who is a woman and who sometimes teaches publicly. But the situation at Willow Creek church represents a change and the article expressed the desire that this could be the beginning of other changes. I am concerned that these changes could lead to a rejection of other evangelical beliefs.

• Like 1

Sue D.

A woman can teach these things and there are some circumstances where she should. Here is an example of this:

Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately. (Acts 18:24-26 ESV)

Priscilla helped correct Apollos's errors. Since her name is placed ahead of her husband's it is likely she was the main teacher and Aquila helped her. But she taught Apollos privately, not publicly in the church.

It is possible for a church to be generally true to the Bible if it has a woman pastor. The church I attend has an associate pastor who is a woman and who sometimes teaches publicly. But the situation at Willow Creek church represents a change and the article expressed the desire that this could be the beginning of other changes. I am concerned that these changes could lead to a rejection of other evangelical beliefs.

I'm familiar with that passage -- weren't Priscilla and Aquila husband and wife?! Hmmm -- hadn't thought about the placement of her name being first. And, yes, Privately would be much better. Publically would have been Out. Because doing that Publically could be embarrassing to the man. He would have been a man under the authority of a woman in public.

I would depend on the attitude of the woman.

And women as choir directors for a mixed adult choir. She's probably a great school choir / music teacher. And there Have been good women choir directors. And there have been some flops. In the church I grew up in -- they'd had men doing it. There was a woman in the church who taught music in high school. She was the authority figure for the students. But in the church setting -- her brother was in the choir and she had No problem reprimanding him at times. He was an adult and it was embarrassing for him. Of course, the 'lesson' learned by him Could have been 'don't mess around during choir practice ' . She was in that position until they could find a man. And Then the church learned that just the fact of having a man in that leadership position didn't especially mean he had musical ability. Sure, he sang in the choir, but that doesn't especially mean he was a good Leader. So - again - he was replaced.

But my last paragraph is off topic -- back to 'behind the pulpit'.

When a church is willing to bend in Some areas -- for the sake of -- what Will be the next area of 'adjustment'. Some churches are allowing homosexual people behind the pulpit.