The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
GraceOne

2 Thessalonians 2:3

1526 Tyndale Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the lorde commeth not excepte ther come a departynge fyrst and that that synfnll man be opened ye sonne of perdicion

1537 Matthews Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the Lord cometh not/except ther come a departure/that the sinfull man opened/the son of perdition

1540 The Great Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the lord comes not except a departure first, and the sinfull man be showed, son of perdition,

1599 Geneva Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:

1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our assembling unto him,

(NOTE: Assembling/gathering together "UNTO" him. The catching-up in 1 Thess 4:16-17 is the biggest single gathering at/to this point in time/history)

2 That ye be not suddenly moved from your mind, nor troubled neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter, as it were from us, as though the day of Christ were at hand.

(NOTE: John 14:1-3 Jesus while explaing His coming for the Church says be not troubled. Secondly the day of Christ or the Day of the Lord that lasts 1000 yrs See 2 Pet 3:8 & Ps 90:4. Begings with 7 years of tribulation. 1 Thess 4:16 & these 1st 7 verses in 2 Thes 2 teach a physcial departure. I.E. the catching-up/rapture must come before the man of sin is revealed & the tribulation begins)

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that man of sin be disclosed, even the son of perdition.

(NOTE: I've posted here 5 Bibles written before 1611 KJV. They all reference a physcial departure (i.e. catching-up/rapture) comes first. Then the man of sin will be revealed)

4 Which is an adversary, and exalteth himself against all that is called God, or that is worshipped: so that he doth sit as God in the Temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

(NOTE: Again read John 14:1-3)

6 And now ye know what withholdeth, that he might be revealed in his time.

(NOTE: The indwelling Holy Spirit of God is the only Person with the supernatural authority & power to do this restraining)

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he which now withholdeth, shall let till he be taken out of the way.

(NOTE: It is the Holy Spirit Who lives/dwells within each believer that is withholding/restraining the son of perdition/man of sins arrivel. When Christ removes (catches-up/rapture) His Spirit filled body (Church). No restrants for sin remain)

Genesis 6:3 (A) The LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh:

Soon very Soon! Keep looking up, your redemption is near!

I posted 5 Bibles written pre 1611 that say: "That this day of the Lord cannot come until the departure comes first."

II Thessalonians 2:3a

"Let no man deceive you by any means; for that day (of the Lord, the Day of Judgment the Day of Wrath) shall not come, except (or until) there come the departure first"

Final thought:

Find supporting scripture on Gods people (Church) excaping wrath:

We see here the church escaping the wrath of the great trib soon to be poured out

1 Thes 1:10, And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even """Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come""""

Rom 5:9 being now justified by his blood, """"we shall be saved from wrath""""' through him

1 thes 5:9 """God hath not appointed us to wrath""", but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ

More Examples:

The angels couldn’t destroy Sodom and Gomorrah until Lot and his family were clear

Noah and his family were delivered from wrath before the flood came

BELIEVERS ARE DELIVERED FROM THE TIME OF JACOBS (ISRAELS) TROUBLE (Jer 30:7) AND GODS WRATH TO COME UPON UNBELIEVERS.

Isa 26:20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers (the Church is the Bride of Christ), and shut thy doors about thee & hide thyself as it were for a little moment, """until the wrath be past""".

(We go to The New Jerusalem Revelation 21. The place Jesus goes to prepare in (John 14:3)

The Church Is Raptured, Caught-Up To Be Delivered From Wrath coming to a God rebellious world.

Final thought:

The great tribulation period is called: The time of Jacobs (Israels) trouble (Jeremiah 30:7)

Staff

1526 Tyndale Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the lorde commeth not excepte ther come a departynge fyrst and that that synfnll man be opened ye sonne of perdicion

1537 Matthews Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the Lord cometh not/except ther come a departure/that the sinfull man opened/the son of perdition

1540 The Great Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:3 (B) the lord comes not except a departure first, and the sinfull man be showed, son of perdition,

1599 Geneva Bible

2 Thessalonians 2:

1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our assembling unto him,

(NOTE: Assembling/gathering together "UNTO" him. The catching-up in 1 Thess 4:16-17 is the biggest single gathering at/to this point in time/history)

2 That ye be not suddenly moved from your mind, nor troubled neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter, as it were from us, as though the day of Christ were at hand.

(NOTE: John 14:1-3 Jesus while explaing His coming for the Church says be not troubled. Secondly the day of Christ or the Day of the Lord that lasts 1000 yrs See 2 Pet 3:8 & Ps 90:4. Begings with 7 years of tribulation. 1 Thess 4:16 & these 1st 7 verses in 2 Thes 2 teach a physcial departure. I.E. the catching-up/rapture must come before the man of sin is revealed & the tribulation begins)

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that man of sin be disclosed, even the son of perdition.

(NOTE: I've posted here 5 Bibles written before 1611 KJV. They all reference a physcial departure (i.e. catching-up/rapture) comes first. Then the man of sin will be revealed)

That is not correct.

ὅτι ἐὰν μὴ ἔλθῃ ἡ ἀποστασία πρῶτον καὶ ἀποκαλυφθῇ

There is no reference to a physical departure. The Greek word there is ἀποστασία (i.e. apostasia) and it the word from which we get our English word apostasy. The "departure" those English translations speak of have nothing to do with a physical departure but with rebellion (i.e. an apostasy) against the faith or a rebellion of humanity as a whole against God. Thus there is no reference to the rapture in 2 Thess. 2:3. You have failed to do a proper study of the verse and misunderstood the meaning of the English translations you have cited.

Edited by Origen
  • Like 1

That is not correct.

ὅτι ἐὰν μὴ ἔλθῃ ἡ ἀποστασία πρῶτον καὶ ἀποκαλυφθῇ

There is no reference to a physical departure. The Greek word there is ἀποστασία (i.e. apostasia) and it the word from which we get our English word apostasy. The "departure" those English translations speak of have nothing to do with a physical departure but with rebellion (i.e. an apostasy) against the faith or a rebellion of humanity as a whole against God. Thus there is no reference to the rapture in 2 Thess. 2:3. You have failed to do a proper study of the verse and misunderstood the meaning of the English translations you have cited.

2 Thess 2: 1 mentions the two comings of Jesus, His physical return to reign, "By the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". Then first the pre tribulation rapture, "And our gathering unto Him".

V3 says the Rapture happens before the man of sin can be revealed, Which Vs 6--7 backs up, The Church is holding the man of sin up, and will do until we are taken to heaven. Although "Falling away", is recorded as Apostasy, The Greek says, it doesn't mean apostasy, it means a "Departing", which people think it means a departing from the faith, But Please note, It doesn't say a departing from the faith can also. It's the same meaning as, Receive, [To take] Jn 14: 3, Taken up, Acts 1: 11. Caught away, Acts 8: 39. Caught up, 1 Thess 4: 17. Jesus is coming for a glorious Church, Eph 5: 26, A Church doing outstanding miracles. And 1 Jn 3: 2 say we will be just like Jesus when He comes, SO, If the devil couldn't handle ONE Jesus. How is he going to deal with millions who are just like Jesus??. He can't, that's why we have to go before he can come.

Staff
2 Thess 2: 1 mentions the two comings of Jesus, His physical return to reign, "By the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". Then first the pre tribulation rapture, "And our gathering unto Him".
Not true. It is one event. There is no grammatical reason to separate the two other than your own personal theological reasons. The text simply does not support your claim.

V3 says the Rapture happens before the man of sin can be revealed,
Again not true. It is not a reference to the rapture but to apostasy. You are simply reading into the text what you want to see.

Which Vs 6--7 backs up, The Church is holding the man of sin up, and will do until we are taken to heaven. Although "Falling away", is recorded as Apostasy, The Greek says, it doesn't mean apostasy, it means a "Departing", which people think it means a departing from the faith, But Please note, It doesn't say a departing from the faith can also. It's the same meaning as, Receive, [To take] Jn 14: 3, Taken up, Acts 1: 11. Caught away, Acts 8: 39. Caught up, 1 Thess 4: 17. Jesus is coming for a glorious Church, Eph 5: 26, A Church doing outstanding miracles. And 1 Jn 3: 2 say we will be just like Jesus when He comes, SO, If the devil couldn't handle ONE Jesus. How is he going to deal with millions who are just like Jesus??. He can't, that's why we have to go before he can come.
As for your examples, they don't fit. None of your examples used the same word found in 2 Thess. 2:1. The Greek word ἀποστασία is used twice in the N.T., here and in Acts 21:21. Thus are your examples are completely irrelevant.

Moreover all the evidence from both translations and scholarly lexicons (by qualified Greek scholars) flat out prove you are wrong.

"Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction." (NIV)

"Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction," (ESV)

"Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction," (NASB)

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;" (KJV)

"Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of perdition," (RSV)

"let no man beguile you in any wise: for it will not be, except the falling away come first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition," (ASV)

"Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not arrive until the rebellion comes and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction." (NET Bible)

ἀποστασία G686 (apostasia), rebellion, abandonment, (state of) apostasy (New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis, p. 449)

ἀποστασία, ας, ἡ (s. ἀφίστημι; a form quotable since Diod. S. outside the Bible [Nägeli 31] for the older ἀπόστασις [Phryn. 528 Lob.]) defiance of established system or authority, rebellion, abandonment, breach of faith (Josh 22:22; 2 Ch 29:19; 1 Macc 2:15; Just., D. 110, 2; Tat. 8:1) ἀπό τινος (Plu., Galb. 1053 [1, 9] Z. v.l. ἀπὸ Νέρωνος ἀ.; Jos., Vi. 43) ἀποστασίαν διδάσκεις ἀπὸ Μωϋσέως you teach (Judeans) to abandon Moses Ac 21:21. Of the rebellion caused by the Lawless One in the last days 2 Th 2:3 (cp. Just., D. 110, 2).—DELG s.v. ἵστημι. M-M. TW. Sv. 0 (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, p. 120)

ἀποστασία, ας, apostasia apostasy (Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament Vol. 1, p. 141)

39.34 ἀνίσταμαιe; ἐπανίσταμαι; στάσιςa, εως f; ἐπίστασιςb, εως f; ἀποστασία, ας f; ἀκαταστασίαa, ας f: to rise up in open defiance of authority, with the presumed intention to overthrow it or to act in complete opposition to its demands — ‘to rebel against, to revolt, to engage in insurrection, rebellion. (Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains, p. 497)

ἀπο-στᾰσία, ἡ, late form for ἀπόστασις, defection, revolt, v.l. in D.H. 7.1, J. Vit. 10, Plu. Galb. 1; esp. in religious sense, rebellion against God, apostasy, LXX Jo. 22.22, 2 Ep.Th. 2.3. (A Greek–English Lexicon, Liddell and Scott, Jones, McKenzie, p. 218)
  • Like 1