The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
GraceOne

Repentance

A question on repentance.

I can't find ANY scripture. Where Paul, chosen by the RISEN Christ himself & sent to the gentiles - Acts 26:16-17.

And intrusted by direct revelation (Eph 3:3) from the RISEN Christ himself with the hidden mystery/secret (Rom 16:25)

KJV Dictionary Definition:

MYS'TERY, n. L. mysterium; Gr. a secret. This word in Greek is rendered also murium latibulum; but probably both senses are from that of hiding or shutting; Gr. to shut, to conceal.

1. A profound secret; something wholly unknown or something kept cautiously concealed

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the """revelation""" of the """mystery""", which was """kept secret""" since the world began,

Eph 3:3 How that by """revelation""" he made known unto me the """mystery"""

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the """mystery""" which from the beginning of the world hath been """hid in God""" who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Eph 5:32 This is a """great mystery""": but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

My question: Please provide the scripture where Paul teaches repenting from sin is a requirement for salvation.

Please don't send verses where John the Baptist (sent to Jews under the law) & preached the Baptism of Repentance. I HAVE ALL THESE SCRIPTURES

I'm not looking for any of Peters (An Apostle to the Jews) teachings on repentance. I HAVE ALL THESE SCRIPTURES

I'm not asking for scripture where Jesus, while alive, sent to Jews under the law also, speaks about repentance. I HAVE THESE TOO.

I'm asking for scripture where Paul. Sent to Gentiles by direct revelation from the RISEN Christ.

Paul the wise masterbuilder (1 Cor 3:10-17) of the Body of Christ = Church. Built with Christ as the only foundation.

Please provide the scripture where Paul teaches repenting from your sins is a requirement for salvation?

Please provide the scripture where Paul teaches repenting from sin is a requirement for salvation.

In his gospel proclamation Paul declared the necessity of repentance.

Acts 17:30

Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent. (NASB)

Acts 20:21

solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. (NASB)

1. William Mounce: An accurate understanding of the use of metanoeō and metanoia in the NT is essential to grasp the gospel message, because it does not allow someone to obtain salvation simply by intellectually believing that Jesus is the Son of God without repenting of sins and turning to live for him (Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, Repent, Repentance, page 581).

2. J. Behm: The fact that metanoia is a work of the Spirit (cf. Ac. 11:18 with 11:15ff. and 10:45) is to be explained only on the assumption that Jesus fulfilled John's promise of a baptism of the Spirit. As in the evangelical message of Jesus, metanoia and pistis are not only associated (Ac. 20:21, Hb. 6:1, cf. also Ac. 26:18) but belong together (TDNT 4:1004, metanoia).

• Like 2

Thanks for trying to help, I see nothing where Paul ties repentance to personal sin or salvation in either verse. Acts 17 makes no mention of repentance as a requirement for ones salvation. Acts 20 has the article """towards""" God. No mention of sin/sins as a requirement for salvation.

2ndly, If repentance of SIN/SINS is a requirement for salvation. Why didn't God required these gentiles to first repent of their sins before Baptizing them in the Holy Spirit, which is an eternal seal of salvation: see below

Acts 10:

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

(NOTE: NO REPENTANCE, NO WATER BAPTISM. NO LAW KEEPING. BY FAITH & FAITH ALONE THESE GENTILES RECEIVED THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT)

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

SEALED

2Co_1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph_1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph_4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Thanks for trying to help, I see nothing where Paul ties repentance to personal sin or salvation in either verse. Acts 17 makes no mention of repentance as a requirement for ones salvation. Acts 20 has the article """towards""" God. No mention of sin/sins as a requirement for salvation.

2ndly, If repentance of SIN/SINS is a requirement for salvation. Why didn't God required these gentiles to first repent of their sins before Baptizing them in the Holy Spirit, which is an eternal seal of salvation: see below

Acts 10:

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

(NOTE: NO REPENTANCE, NO WATER BAPTISM. NO LAW KEEPING. BY FAITH & FAITH ALONE THESE GENTILES RECEIVED THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT)

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

SEALED

2Co_1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph_1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph_4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

The gentiles Peter spoke to repented before receiving the Holy Spirit:

​​

"There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, a devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway." Ac.10:1-2

As far as Paul, Faber has already made that clear.

• Like 1

Thanks for trying to help, I see nothing where Paul ties repentance to personal sin or salvation in either verse. Acts 17 makes no mention of repentance as a requirement for ones salvation. Acts 20 has the article """towards""" God. No mention of sin/sins as a requirement for salvation..

Hello GraceOne,

Of course it is "towards" God. That is who repentance ought to be rendered to.

Furthermore, in Acts 17 Paul was proclaiming the gospel to unsaved people. If it wasn't required then there would be no reason for Paul to even bring it up. Moreover, he made it point to specifically point out that repentance was required of both Jews and Gentiles (cf. Acts 20:21).

Again, neither Acts 17 or Acts 20 state repentance as a requirement for salvation

If repentance of SIN/SINS is a requirement for salvation.

Why didn't God required these gentiles to first repent of their sins. BEFORE baptizing them in the Holy Spirit? Which is an eternal seal of salvation: see SEALED below

SEALED

Acts 10:

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

(NOTE: THEY BELIEVED (vs43) AS PETER SPOKE (vs44) NO REPENTANCE OF ANYKIND! NO WATER BAPTISM, NO LAW KEEPING.

BY FAITH & FAITH ALONE THESE GENTILES RECEIVED THE (seal) BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (vs45)

SEALED

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

The Nation of Israel is a called out assembly. Program 1

The Body of Christ is a called out assembly. Program 2.

The two are completely separate programs.

Program 1 required works via Mosaic Law & repentance for breaking covenant with God Jer 31:32

Gentiles never had a law covenant with God.

Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Program 2 requires Faith in the sacrificial, redemptive, PAID IN FULL. Sin atoning sacrifice, found in the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus the Christ. Rom 3:21

Mixing the two programs invariably leads to doctrinal misinterpretations

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Works based doctrine are opposite of the facts. It makes salvation about you/us & robs Christ of the glory to be found in his selfless, sacrificial sin atoning payment

Finally

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift ofGod: NO REPENTANCE MENTIONED

I Cor 15:1-4 NO REPENTANCE MENTIONED

Rom 10:8-15 NO REPENTANCE MENTIONED

Ehp 1:13 NO REPENTANCE MENTIONED

Again, neither Acts 17 or Acts 20 state repentance as a requirement for salvation

Again you are in error.

"Furthermore, in Acts 17 Paul was proclaiming the gospel to unsaved people. If it wasn't required then there would be no reason for Paul to even bring it up."

You refused to comment on my previous sentence.

The Gentiles did repent before receiving the Holy Spirit.

Acts 11:18

When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” (ESV)

• Like 1

Staff

Repentance is not a "prerequisite" for salvation.

The actual order of salvation (ordo salutis) begins before our repentance. The ordo salutis is 1) election/predestination (in Christ), 2) Atonement 3) gospel call 4) inward call 5) regeneration, 6) conversion (faith & repentance), 7) justification, 8) sanctification, and 9) glorification.

God bless,

William

"Furthermore, in Acts 17 Paul was proclaiming the gospel to unsaved people. If it wasn't required then there would be no reason for Paul to even bring it up."

The above, which concerns itself with repentance, keeps getting ignored.

Peter would also teach the same thing in 2 Peter 3:9 -

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. (NASB)

Notice the line of demarcation. Those refusing to repent will perish. However, those who repent will not perish. That is, they become "saved."