The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Tithe and Offerings are one of the core teachings that I've taken with me since Sunday Schools. Money is always a sticky topic, some consider it sensitive. God has never failed me and blessing me a hundred fold when I give my tithe; and I do find whenever I slack off doing it (guilty as charged) my finances seems to disappear. The weird thing about this is it's not instantaneous. It's more like plugging and unplugging an iron, it takes a while for me to receive an unexpected bonus when I might need it the most, and suddenly my car brakes down after a few months of not paying tithe. Some might think it's just a coincidence, but it's God's way. This law is so important, and is one of the fundamental way to show our obedience.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 6:46 PM, msyukionna said:

Tithe and Offerings are one of the core teachings that I've taken with me since Sunday Schools. Money is always a sticky topic, some consider it sensitive. God has never failed me and blessing me a hundred fold when I give my tithe; and I do find whenever I slack off doing it (guilty as charged) my finances seems to disappear. The weird thing about this is it's not instantaneous. It's more like plugging and unplugging an iron, it takes a while for me to receive an unexpected bonus when I might need it the most, and suddenly my car brakes down after a few months of not paying tithe. Some might think it's just a coincidence, but it's God's way. This law is so important, and is one of the fundamental way to show our obedience.

We need to be careful about this though. God never promises to bless us a hundredfold if we tithe. We can easily run into the Prosperity Doctrine when we think like that.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:46 AM, msyukionna said:

God has never failed me and blessing me a hundred fold when I give my tithe; and I do find whenever I slack off doing it (guilty as charged) my finances seems to disappear. The weird thing about this is it's not instantaneous. It's more like plugging and unplugging an iron, it takes a while for me to receive an unexpected bonus when I might need it the most, and suddenly my car brakes down after a few months of not paying tithe. Some might think it's just a coincidence, but it's God's way. This law is so important, and is one of the fundamental way to show our obedience.

Your description sounds a little too much like luck--like what I see in Asia when people give money to an idol expecting an increase in luck.  They would describe their experience just like you describe. 

I think tithing is about something entirely different--the heart.  "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  I think the phenomenon of blessing you describe above has a seed of truth. God does bless and provide well for his children, but not as a tithing matter. Rather the matter is a heart matter of right living vs. sinful living.  Often the heathen are apparently "blessed" far more than the humble carpenter. On the other hand, while I don't think there is a Bible promise that the righteous will never suffer or go hungry, I can say from personal experience with David that I have never seen the righteous forsaken.

41 minutes ago, GaoLu said:

Your description sounds a little too much like luck--like what I see in Asia when people give money to an idol expecting an increase in luck.  They would describe their experience just like you describe. 

Yeah, it sounds too much like prosperity doctrine to me.

I can't stand the prosperity giving thing. So, do you believe you should tithe solely to your pastor? What if the Pastor of the church buys $600 suits, $100 ties and $200 shoes? What if your pastor buys up land for himself, drives massively expensive cars, takes a matching 10 percent on his 401k from the church? Brags about the expensive Christmas gifts he's giving and receiving? While there are families in the church that have no money for gifts to give. Nor do they receive any. No holiday food. No winter jackets. No program at church to help the poor, or widows, or fatherless? One single mother cried because she could barely feed her children off welfare. The church never helped her once. They just told her she had to give her tithes or she was disobeying God. You get the picture. But the church teaches to give in faith. No matter what. They say its only your job to give.

You might say you'd leave this type of church. Would you though? Why are so many people still there?The church, not all churches, says and does many things in the name of God. But it is not of God. And they hurt God's people. 

I'm not against tithes. I'm against the abuse, from a lot of churches, regarding tithe. The church needs to come back to God. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElenaCM said:

I can't stand the prosperity giving thing. So, do you believe you should tithe solely to your pastor? What if the Pastor of the church buys $600 suits, $100 ties and $200 shoes? What if your pastor buys up land for himself, drives massively expensive cars, takes a matching 10 percent on his 401k from the church? Brags about the expensive Christmas gifts he's giving and receiving? While there are families in the church that have no money for gifts to give. Nor do they receive any. No holiday food. No winter jackets. No program at church to help the poor, or widows, or fatherless? One single mother cried because she could barely feed her children off welfare. The church never helped her once. They just told her she had to give her tithes or she was disobeying God. You get the picture. But the church teaches to give in faith. No matter what. They say its only your job to give.

You might say you'd leave this type of church. Would you though? Why are so many people still there?The church, not all churches, says and does many things in the name of God. But it is not of God. And they hurt God's people. 

I'm not against tithes. I'm against the abuse, from a lot of churches, regarding tithe. The church needs to come back to God. 

Typically this happens (from what I can tell) mostly in Mega Churches. And what I would say is, if you are that against what your pastor is doing (not saying you shouldn't be) then why would you stay at that church?

• Like 1

I didn't stay but so many do. I believe this concept of money grubbing has hurt true christianity. It turns so many people away from knowing Christ as their Abba Father. It is sad. We need to be transparent, real, and true. The church is a reflection of God to the world. We are a reflection individually, I know. One on one. But what the world sees, as a whole, is the church.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ElenaCM said:

I didn't stay but so many do. I believe this concept of money grubbing has hurt true christianity. It turns so many people away from knowing Christ as their Abba Father. It is sad. We need to be transparent, real, and true. The church is a reflection of God to the world. We are a reflection individually, I know. One on one. But what the world sees, as a whole, is the church.

Thanks for the clarification and yes, it is a sad state of affairs in certain cases.

Staff

Drop'N a Reformed Lyrical Bomb Shell!

Crank your audio system Boom Boom Boom!

Shai Linne!