The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
faither

Faith alone?

Faith alone ? This is a phrase i"ve heard often , but i'm not sure i understand what it means. I want to start a discussion about Faith , and the Salvation process. But before i do , could someone who knows about "Faith alone" , tell me what it means?

• Like 1

Hi Jon, "faith alone" means that there is nothing we can do to merit salvation. Rather, we have "faith" that God will choose to graciously save us based upon the merits of Another (just like He promised us He would .. John 3:16 :)).

Yours in Christ,

David

• Like 3

Hi Jon, "faith alone" means that there is nothing we can do to merit salvation. Rather, we have "faith" that God will choose to graciously save us based upon the merits of Another (just like He promised us He would .. John 3:16 :)).

Yours in Christ,

David

Exactly, I think that's how we should define it for discussion.

Romans 5:1-2

[1]Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

[2]By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Ephesians 2:8-9

[8]For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

[9]Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Galatians 2:16

[16]Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

• Like 2

Yours in Christ,

David

I agree with you David, theres nothing that we can do to merit Salvation. Such as works of any kind , the "o" word obedience ,lol. I look at that as Grace, the finished work Christ did on the cross. He alone paid that price for our sin and made it possible to stand before the Father in His presence. Thats Grace , His finished work. But how does one access that free gift of Grace , by Faith right?

I agree with you David, theres nothing that we can do to merit Salvation. Such as works of any kind , the "o" word obedience ,lol. I look at that as Grace, the finished work Christ did on the cross. He alone paid that price for our sin and made it possible to stand before the Father in His presence. Thats Grace , His finished work. But how does one access that free gift of Grace , by Faith right?

This is where i'm trying to get a solid understanding of "Faith alone."

Staff

This is where i'm trying to get a solid understanding of "Faith alone."

G'day Jon,

In historical context:

The “five solas” is a term used to designate five great foundational rallying cries of the Protestant reformers. They are as follows: “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone); “Sola Gratia” (Grace Alone); “Sola Fide” (Faith Alone); “Solus Christus” (Christ Alone); and “Soli Deo Gloria” (To God Alone Be Glory).

These “five solas” were developed in response to specific perversions of the truth that were taught by the corrupt Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Church taught that the foundation for faith and practice was a combination of the scriptures, sacred tradition, and the teachings of the magisterium and the pope; but the Reformers said, “No, our foundation is sola scriptura”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved through a combination of God's grace, the merits that we accumulate through penance and good works, and the superfluity of merits that the saints before us accumulated; the reformers responded, “sola gratia”. The Catholic Church taught that we are justified by faith and the works that we produce, which the righteousness that God infuses in us through faith brings about. The reformers responded, “No, we are justified by faith alone (sola fide), which lays hold of the alien righteousness of Christ that God freely credits to the account of those who believe”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved by the merits of Christ and the saints, and that we approach God through Christ, the saints, and Mary, who all pray and intercede for us. The Reformers responded, “No, we are saved by the merits of Christ Alone, and we come to God through Christ Alone”. The Catholic Church adhered to what Martin Luther called the “theology of glory” (in opposition to the “theology of the cross”), in which the glory for a sinner's salvation could be attributed partly to Christ, partly to Mary and the saints, and partly to the sinner himself. The reformers responded, “No, the only true gospel is that which gives all glory to God alone, as is taught in the scriptures.”

God bless,

William

• Like 2

G'day Jon,

In historical context:

The “five solas” is a term used to designate five great foundational rallying cries of the Protestant reformers. They are as follows: “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone); “Sola Gratia” (Grace Alone); “Sola Fide” (Faith Alone); “Solus Christus” (Christ Alone); and “Soli Deo Gloria” (To God Alone Be Glory).

These “five solas” were developed in response to specific perversions of the truth that were taught by the corrupt Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Church taught that the foundation for faith and practice was a combination of the scriptures, sacred tradition, and the teachings of the magisterium and the pope; but the Reformers said, “No, our foundation is sola scriptura”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved through a combination of God's grace, the merits that we accumulate through penance and good works, and the superfluity of merits that the saints before us accumulated; the reformers responded, “sola gratia”. The Catholic Church taught that we are justified by faith and the works that we produce, which the righteousness that God infuses in us through faith brings about. The reformers responded, “No, we are justified by faith alone (sola fide), which lays hold of the alien righteousness of Christ that God freely credits to the account of those who believe”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved by the merits of Christ and the saints, and that we approach God through Christ, the saints, and Mary, who all pray and intercede for us. The Reformers responded, “No, we are saved by the merits of Christ Alone, and we come to God through Christ Alone”. The Catholic Church adhered to what Martin Luther called the “theology of glory” (in opposition to the “theology of the cross”), in which the glory for a sinner's salvation could be attributed partly to Christ, partly to Mary and the saints, and partly to the sinner himself. The reformers responded, “No, the only true gospel is that which gives all glory to God alone, as is taught in the scriptures.”

God bless,

William

Thanks for the good information William.

But what does it mean specifically to be saved by Grace through Faith ? I'understand Grace and i'm sure were all on the same page. But how would you apply the "through Faith" part of that equation?

Staff

Thanks for the good information William.

But what does it mean specifically to be saved by Grace through Faith ? I'understand Grace and i'm sure were all on the same page. But how would you apply the "through Faith" part of that equation?

Ephesians 2:8 reiterates a point made from Ephesians 2:5. We are saved by Grace through Faith.... I always pause here and ask, "What of Faith?", and it follows, this is not your own doing. Two points, a) faith is a fruit of regeneration, b) faith in ourselves is powerless, but it is the object of our faith that saves us - Jesus Christ. This is not your own doing....

I've held onto the definition given by Scott to this day, faith is an action based on belief sustained in confidence. I would only add to that definition ... sustained in confidence "by God". The object of faith loses none given to Him by the Father. While I do adhere to a doctrine called "Perseverance of the Saints" which emphasizes man's accountability and responsibility it is also important to understand that likewise God "preserves" the Elect.

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Ephesians 2:8 reiterates a point made from Ephesians 2:5. We are saved by Grace through Faith.... I always pause here and ask, "What of Faith?", and it follows, this is not your own doing. Two points, a) faith is a fruit of regeneration, b) faith in ourselves is powerless, but it is the object of our faith that saves us - Jesus Christ. This is not your own doing....

I've held onto the definition given by Scott to this day, faith is an action based on belief sustained in confidence. I would only add to that definition ... sustained in confidence "by God". The object of faith loses none given to Him by the Father. While I do adhere to a doctrine called "Perseverance of the Saints" which emphasizes man's accountability and responsibility it is also important to understand that likewise God "preserves" the Elect.

God bless,

William

Ya William i too hold onto alot of what Doc taught. But that definition of faith , "an act, based upon a belief , sustained by confidense " is not the "specific" act of faith that saves (pisteuo). That definition Dr. Scott taught all the time was accually the definition of "a verb". The specific Greek word that he related that definition too was "pisteuo" the verb form of pistis , the noun for faith in Greek. If i go into the Vines Greek dictionary , it defines "pisteuo" used 248 times as a "personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender." Pisteuo was mistranslated into English with the words believe, believer , and believing , because the English doesn't have a word for the verb form of faith like the Greek does.

With that said , i still don't understand what "faith alone" implies" . But i'm willing to learn.

Staff
With that said , i still don't understand what "faith alone" implies" . But i'm willing to learn.

What I provided in historical context pretty much clarifies what Sola Fide means. It is to be taken along with the other Solas. Sola Fide was a response to a works-righteousness being taught by the Catholic church. You could probably spend a couple of months just learning about Sola Fide and Justification from the Protestant/Reformed position. I think this site is rich in content about the subject matter.

As to your OP, this may be helpful: https://www.christforums.org/forum/christian-community/reformed-theology/5390-sola-fide-the-reformed-doctrine-of-justification

God bless,

William

• Like 2

What I provided in historical context pretty much clarifies what Sola Fide means. It is to be taken along with the other Solas. Sola Fide was a response to a works-righteousness being taught by the Catholic church. You could probably spend a couple of months just learning about Sola Fide and Justification from the Protestant/Reformed position. I think this site is rich in content about the subject matter.

As to your OP, this may be helpful: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...-justification

God bless,

William

Im familiar with what your presenting . Let me ask the question in a different way. The Greek used a verb form of the noun Faith . The noun is "pistis" and the corresponding verb is "pisteuo". The noun and the verb were used aprox 245 times each.

Pisteuo being a verb , an act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense. How do you define pisteuo? And how do you apply it to the Salvation journey.

Staff

Im familiar with what your presenting . Let me ask the question in a different way. The Greek used a verb form of the noun Faith . The noun is "pistis" and the corresponding verb is "pisteuo". The noun and the verb were used aprox 245 times each.

Pisteuo being a verb , an act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense. How do you define pisteuo? And how do you apply it to the Salvation journey.

I believe @Origen is going to address your point in the other thread you both are engaged in. He is better educated being a teacher and expert in the Hebrew and Greek biblical languages.

As for me, I can't keep track of the threads that are blending together. I thought this conversation was on the subject of the Theological phrase Sola Fide which is by faith alone?

You say you don't understand it. Quite frankly, I do not understand why you do not understand it. Do you at least understand the phrase in its historical context used by early Reformers?

If so, and you want to go further into the doctrine then that'd be great?

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Hi Jon, is your interest less about sola fide (which has already been explained pretty thoroughly in this thread) and more about how exercising faith/believing works in the salvation process?

• Like 2

Staff
Hi Jon, is your interest less about sola fide (which has already been explained pretty thoroughly in this thread) and more about how exercising faith/believing works in the salvation process?

I think Jon needs to clarify.

We need to know whether we should go into the definition of faith and/or how it applies in the life of the regenerate and towards Justification etc. <--- which all has to do with Sola Fide. So we're back to square one, unless someone just doesn't want to use a theological term because they object to theological terminology? I think this may be a great exercise and thread, because often we use theological terms and forget how to explain them simply.

In other words, Sola Fide would "unpack" into pages and pages of information. I'm game.

@Daniel1212 Care to tackle the question from a metaphysical perspective?

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I think Jon needs to clarify.

We need to know whether we should go into the definition of faith and/or how it applies in the life of the regenerate and towards Justification etc. <--- which all has to do with Sola Fide. So we're back to square one, unless someone just doesn't want to use a theological term because they object to theological terminology? I think this may be a great exercise and thread, because often we use theological terms and forget how to explain them simply.

In other words, Sola Fide would "unpack" into pages and pages of information. I'm game.

@Daniel1212 Care to tackle the question from a metaphysical perspective?

God bless,

William

If that's where this thread goes, I'm game too :)

• Like 1

Perhaps we should begin again .. at the very beginning .. and make sure that we're all on the same page each step of the way from before the foundation of the world?

• Like 2

Staff
Perhaps we should begin again .. at the very beginning .. and make sure that we're all on the same page each step of the way from before the foundation of the world?

Good idea,

Aquinas says, "Non fides, de qua loquimur, assentit alicui, nisi quia est a Deo revelatum." "Faith, of which we speak, assents to nothing except because it is revealed by God."

My point is that if we're going back this far then we rely on the testimony and authority of God. That is, if faith means the belief of things not seen, on the ground of testimony Hebrews 11:1.

I'd just like to establish what we agree upon. To get the basics out of the way, I think we all agree that an element of faith is truth, trust, and confidence. And we'd probably all agree that "faith" and "seeing" are equated. That is, we walk by faith and not by sight 2 Corinthians 5:7. So in a literal sense we do not believe what we see with our eyes, but we believe what we know to be true.

If we go into the object of our faith, then we can touch upon the nature of the object. And whether faith is voluntary or involuntary and independent or dependent of our reasoning and feelings?

But before I get too far ahead, lets determine where or when we should begin. :)

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Yes , i'm interested to know how you and others here apply Faith or pisteuo to be "in Christ."

Staff

Yes , i'm interested to know how you and others here apply Faith or pisteuo to be "in Christ."

Jon,

Please read our last few posts. We'd like to know not only your thoughts but where you'd like to begin.

God bless,

William

Ok, so you do understand what faith alone is and are now asking us how faith in Christ works. Correct?

• Like 1

Ok, so you do understand what faith alone is and are now asking us how faith in Christ works. Correct?

No , i don't have a clue what one means by faith alone , or how it is defined or applied by someone who has been called.

If someone asked me my understanding of what NT Faith is. I would say Faith is a continual daily surrendering of our lives to God. And that every decision we make on a daily basis should be made with the understanding that its not my life anymore , it's Gods life and thats who i serve. This understanding of NT saving Faith can start the relationship , maintain the relationship , and complete the relationship here on earth. Including being sealed with the Holy Spirit and having the mind of Christ.

That is my understanding of saving Faith and how it is applied. It could work today 2017 with every resource at my disposal , or it could also work in the year 372 with no resources at my disposal other than an inner desire or drawing of the Father to know the true and almighty God.

It's not a complicated question to answer. So i'll ask again, what is "faith alone" and how is it applied to be in Christ?

Ok, I believe David has sufficiently established the context of the statement "faith alone" below

Yours in Christ,

David

Faith by definition of Theopedia:.

Faith

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). This passage is considered one of the most concise definitions of faith given in the Bible. Faith is synonymous with belief, and both are translated from the same Greek word ^_[strong's\ #4102]_^ in the New Testament.

Many theologians, especially from Reformed backgrounds, argue that true saving faith as described in the Bible must include not only mental knowledge and assent but the vital aspect of trust. This idea is found in the Westminster Confession of Faith in the phrase "But the principal acts of saving faith are accepting, receiving, and resting upon Christ alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace," (WCF 14.2).

Alone as defined by Webster:

without anyone or anything else : not involving or including anyone or anything else : separate from other people or things.

Do these definitions work for you or help you understand what is meant by faith alone faither?

Ok, I believe David has sufficiently established the context of the statement "faith alone" below

Yours in Christ,

David

Faith by definition of Theopedia:.

Faith

"Now*faith*is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). This passage is considered one of the most concise definitions of faith given in the*Bible. Faith is synonymous with belief, and both are translated from the same*Greek*word ^_[strong's\*#4102]_^ in the*New Testament.

Many theologians, especially from Reformed backgrounds, argue that true saving faith as described in the Bible must include not only mental*knowledge*and*assent*but the vital aspect of*trust. This idea is found in the*Westminster Confession of Faith*in the phrase "But the principal acts of saving faith are*accepting,*receiving, and*resting*upon Christ alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace," (WCF 14.2).

Alone as defined by Webster:

without anyone or anything else : not involving or including anyone or anything else : separate from other people or things.

Do these definitions work for you or help you understand what is meant by faith alone faither?

Thank you , that makes sense. Give me a few to reply.

Staff
It's not a complicated question to answer. So i'll ask again, what is "faith alone" and how is it applied to be in Christ?

This has been answered. And Sola Fide's connection towards Justification could be a fruitful discussion. Faith alone is tied to the doctrine of justification, which answers the question: How can a sinful human being be set right before the holy God?

According to Roman Catholicism: Roman Catholic theologians deny that faith is sufficient for justification. Instead, good works of obedience must be added to faith in order for God to declare us righteous. Justification comes first through the sacraments — justifying grace is poured into the soul at baptism, lost through mortal sin, and restored through confession and works of penance. Rome argues works cooperate with grace to make us righteous, and we are justified only if we have actually become righteous through our faith and works.

According to Protestants: The Protestant (and biblical) doctrine of justification also affirms the necessity of faith, grace, and Christ, but it adds the important term alone. No one keeps God’s law perfectly and our good works are “filthy rags” (Isaiah. 64:6); therefore, our works can in no way be the ground of our acceptance before God. Only the merit of Christ can set us right with God, and we access this merit by trusting in Christ alone. God does not wait for us to become righteous before He justifies us, otherwise we would never be justified. While still sinners He counts us as righteous in His sight through faith apart from any good we do.

This is what faith alone means, and how it is applied "to be in Christ" which touches on the doctrine of Justification. The proximate effect of this union, and, consequently, the second effect of faith, is justification. We are "justified by the faith of Christ." (Gal. 2:16.) "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus." (Rom. 8:1.) "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God." (John 3:18.) Faith is the condition on which God promises in the covenant of redemption, to impute to men the righteousness of Christ. As soon, therefore, as they believe, they cannot be condemned. They are clothed with a righteousness which answers all the demands of justice. "Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us." (Rom. 8:33, 34.)

Now you asked, and it has been answered. In its historical context.

God bless,

William

• Like 2