The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ChatterBox

Government pressures CofE to change doctrine.

I am sorry, but for MPs who are not practicing Christians to start pressuring the Church to change dogma and theology to fit their views that just seems very wrong to me. We've seen this happen in Communist countries and dictatorships but to have this happen in a Western democracy is appalling.

(It is worse because if you are familiar with the UK government, the Church, the Judiciary, and the Democratic arms are three different things, and not supposed to interefere with each other. They come together in the House of Lords. The MPs trying to make the statement are in the Commons, so its rather the same as them trying to pressure a judge to give a verdict against the law because it would be convenient for them.)

When a church accepts the position of being the established church of a country it also subjects itself to being influenced by those who aren't members of the church. It seems to me that the only solution for this problem is for the Church of England to renounce it position and become totally independent of government support and influence.

When a church accepts the position of being the established church of a country it also subjects itself to being influenced by those who aren't members of the church. It seems to me that the only solution for this problem is for the Church of England to renounce it position and become totally independent of government support and influence.
In Europe this works the other way. In countries where the church is not part of the government, the government has passed edicts concerning worship, gay marriage, etc and what the church is allowed to do (See the Protestant Church in the Netherlands). In this case, the House of Commons can pressure the church, but their edicts have to pass through the upper house (House of Lords) where the Church can block it, so while MPs can pressure, they cannot command.

In most European countries the Church has been a part of politics since before the 900's and often before a unified country existed, so extracting them would be near impossible. Look at the Catholic influence in Western Europe, and the Orthodox church in the east.

And I still think that if MPs are going to pressure the church to fall in line with liberal morality, they need to pressure all faiths or none.