The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Zachary

Proofs that sinning believers will not inherit or enter heaven

10 hours ago, Becky said:

Is there more then one Salvation ? 

There is the salvation we have through faith, then at the end of our faith we will receive the salvation of our soul, at His return. 

• receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

again

• those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

Hebrews 9:28

Do you understand that each that each of us will stand before Him on the Day of Judgement to be Judged according to our deeds?

JLB 

• Like 1

Staff

We will not agree @JLB.  For now any more, from me, on this subject will be replication.  

On 2/19/2017 at 1:36 PM, Zachary said:

The Kingdom of heaven is headed by Jesus Christ for the purpose of re-establishing

the Kingdom of God over this rebellious part of God’s realm. It is a dispensational term

referring to Messiah’s Kingdom on earth. The parables of the Kingdom apply to this age.

At the end of this age, Christ will come and set up a literal earthly Kingdom forever.

(from the famous “Dake’s Annotated Reference Bible”)

The parables of the hidden treasure (Matt 13:44) and the pearl of great price (Matt 13:45-46)

teach us that the Kingdom of heaven is only for those who perceive its immeasurable value

and are willing to sacrifice everything else to acquire it. The Kingdom of heaven encompasses

Christ and all that He offers – eternal life and unending blessings. The glorious freedom from

sin and the unending blessings of eternal life far outweigh anything that costs us in this life.

“I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish that I may gain Christ.”

Paul (above) was glad to give it all up for the Kingdom. That is the nature of saving faith.

True faith produces a heart that is humble, submissive, and obedient.

This is the inevitable expression of the new nature (2 Cor 5:17) of the born-again person!

(from “The Gospel According to Jesus” by John MacArthur, Zondervan, 1994)

“Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” … “if you want to receive

eternal life, keep the commandments.” … Then Jesus said to His disciples,

“I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of heaven.

I’ll say it again -- it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than

for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!” The disciples were astounded,

“Then who in the world can be saved?”, they asked.” (Matthew 19:16-25, NLT)

… Obviously, entering the 2 Kingdoms is analogous to entering eternal life.

“And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It’s better to enter the Kingdom of God

with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell …” (Mark 9:47, NLT)

… Entering the Kingdom of God is the opposite of being cast into hell.

“Come, you (the righteous) who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you

from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me, etc. (But to others …) when you

refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me. And they

will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.” (Matt 25:34-46, NLT)

… Inheriting the Kingdom is only for the righteous, who gain eternal life.

Therefore … Entering or inheriting the Kingdom of God/heaven is analogous to gaining eternal life.

Obvious disqualifications from inheriting the Kingdom of God

“All who are victorious (overcomers) will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God,

and they will be My children. But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral,

those who practice witchcraft, idol worshippers, and all liars – their fate is in the fiery lake

of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” (Revelation 21:7-8, NLT)

… The above passage proves that practicing sinners will NOT inherit heaven.

Who are the victorious overcomers? “Those who are victorious (overcomers) will sit with me on

my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.” (Revelation 3:21, NLT)

And these passages confirm that all practicing sinners will NOT inherit heaven …

• “Don’t you realize that those who do wrong (the unrighteous) will not inherit the Kingdom of God?

Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery,

or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards,

or are abusive, or cheat people – none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.” (1 Cor 6:9-10, NLT)

• “When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality,

impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger,

selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these.

Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life

will not inherit the Kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21, NLT)

• “Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place

among God’s people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes – these are not for you.

Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy

person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater,

worshiping the things of this world. Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins,

for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.” (Ephesians 5:3-6, NLT)

+++ Please take note of this last sentence!

It seems, most Christians don’t understand that each of us must come before Christ, on the Day of Judgement to be Judged according to our deeds.

The result being either eternal life, or eternal damnation. 

But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:5-8

Here is who will receive eternal life -

• eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality

JLB 

Posted (edited)

Jesus was the only sinless One to walk this earth.  We are all sinners and continue to sin.  We should strive to follow the example of Christ but we will never be able to achieve it in thought, word, and action.  Even our good works are as dirty rags.  We are sinners.  The good news is Jesus died for our sins and if we believe in Him we will be saved. 

Edited by CDF47

1 hour ago, JLB said:

It seems, most Christians don’t understand that each of us must come before Christ, on the Day of Judgement to be Judged according to our deeds.

The result being either eternal life, or eternal damnation. 

• eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality

I think those who are Christians will continue in seeking good for we are commanded to continually purify ourselves just as He is pure (1 John 3:3). However, our eternal salvation will not be based on our deeds. Our goodness is in God alone for He alone is holy (Revelation 15:4). Judgement for eternal salvation based on deeds applies only to those who are not Christians (Revelation 20:12). None of their deeds will suffice for perfection has not been obtained. Therefore none of them will be saved.

• Like 1

Staff
5 hours ago, JLB said:

Why would you say I wish to justify myself, because I understand the principle of faith and how faith operates?

Did you even read what I wrote, or understand what I wrote?

JLB

Why can't you answer direct questions?

For example, I asked you what Justification means to you:

Justification is not something God does in us. It is God's declaration that we are righteous for Jesus sake. It is in an alien righteousness counted toward us. Justification, therefore, is imputation. Justification is not something that changes us on the inside, it only declares what we are before God because of what we are in Christ.

On the other hand, regeneration is impartation, which grants us a new nature. God placing a new heart within precedes following, obeying and the consummation of the covenant promise. No one believes while they have a heart of stone. That would be absurd. The heart must be softened to flesh prior to a desire for Christ.

So regeneration causally precedes faith/justification. Both are benefits granted to us in Christ. Without the Holy Spirit there would be no new birth, no illumination, no understanding or affection for the gospel, and thus no faith -- in other words, no Christians. So there is no synergism here because the man is granted the new birth so that he might believe and be justified. These all occur simultaneously ... one simply causes the other from the outside. The Spirit works faith in us. No one says 'Jesus is Lord' apart from the Holy Spirit 1 Corinthians 12:3. - John Hendryx

Staff

@JLB come on brother, don't shy away and abandon us so quickly. We are all here for mutual benefit in striving for the faith. Let's worship in spirit and truth.

Was expecting a response from you today and was disappointed and then felt a loss that you may not post anymore.

God bless,

William

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Zachary said:

The Kingdom of heaven is headed by Jesus Christ for the purpose of re-establishing

the Kingdom of God over this rebellious part of God’s realm. It is a dispensational term

referring to Messiah’s Kingdom on earth. The parables of the Kingdom apply to this age.

At the end of this age, Christ will come and set up a literal earthly Kingdom forever.

(from the famous “Dake’s Annotated Reference Bible”)

The parables of the hidden treasure (Matt 13:44) and the pearl of great price (Matt 13:45-46)

teach us that the Kingdom of heaven is only for those who perceive its immeasurable value

and are willing to sacrifice everything else to acquire it. The Kingdom of heaven encompasses

Christ and all that He offers – eternal life and unending blessings. The glorious freedom from

sin and the unending blessings of eternal life far outweigh anything that costs us in this life.

“I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish that I may gain Christ.”

Paul (above) was glad to give it all up for the Kingdom. That is the nature of saving faith.

True faith produces a heart that is humble, submissive, and obedient.

This is the inevitable expression of the new nature (2 Cor 5:17) of the born-again person!

(from “The Gospel According to Jesus” by John MacArthur, Zondervan, 1994)

“Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” … “if you want to receive

eternal life, keep the commandments.” … Then Jesus said to His disciples,

“I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of heaven.

I’ll say it again -- it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than

for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!” The disciples were astounded,

“Then who in the world can be saved?”, they asked.” (Matthew 19:16-25, NLT)

… Obviously, entering the 2 Kingdoms is analogous to entering eternal life.

“And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It’s better to enter the Kingdom of God

with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell …” (Mark 9:47, NLT)

… Entering the Kingdom of God is the opposite of being cast into hell.

“Come, you (the righteous) who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you

from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me, etc. (But to others …) when you

refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me. And they

will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.” (Matt 25:34-46, NLT)

… Inheriting the Kingdom is only for the righteous, who gain eternal life.

Therefore … Entering or inheriting the Kingdom of God/heaven is analogous to gaining eternal life.

Obvious disqualifications from inheriting the Kingdom of God

“All who are victorious (overcomers) will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God,

and they will be My children. But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral,

those who practice witchcraft, idol worshippers, and all liars – their fate is in the fiery lake

of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” (Revelation 21:7-8, NLT)

… The above passage proves that practicing sinners will NOT inherit heaven.

Who are the victorious overcomers? “Those who are victorious (overcomers) will sit with me on

my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.” (Revelation 3:21, NLT)

And these passages confirm that all practicing sinners will NOT inherit heaven …

• “Don’t you realize that those who do wrong (the unrighteous) will not inherit the Kingdom of God?

Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery,

or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards,

or are abusive, or cheat people – none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.” (1 Cor 6:9-10, NLT)

• “When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality,

impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger,

selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these.

Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life

will not inherit the Kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21, NLT)

• “Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place

among God’s people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes – these are not for you.

Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy

person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater,

worshiping the things of this world. Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins,

for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.” (Ephesians 5:3-6, NLT)

+++ Please take note of this last sentence!

Are you saying that a person can live his entire life and never sin ? " For there is not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin ." Ecc.7:20 .  M

Staff

Any one able to find another  Biblical definition of His Kingdom. 

Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 

6 minutes ago, Becky said:

Any one able to find another  Biblical definition of His Kingdom. 

Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 

That's right. And remember too that people like him can never enjoy the fruits of the Spirit . Which are love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness , gentleness, self control. I especially have to struggle with the last one. Since I'm very sensitive about my truck....when some inconsiderate idiot cuts me off...... :-(      M

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, William said:

@JLB come on brother, don't shy away and abandon us so quickly. We are all here for mutual benefit in striving for the faith. Let's worship in spirit and truth.

Was expecting a response from you today and was disappointed and then felt a loss that you may not post anymore.

God bless,

William

Just got back in town last night. 

On 3/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, William said:

For example, I asked you what Justification means to you:

Justification is not something God does in us. It is God's declaration that we are righteous

Yes I agree. 

Justified is where we are declared righteous. 

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? James 2:21

We are justified by faith, which means the obedience of faith. 

Faith must have the corresponding action of obedience in order in order for faith to be activated. 

The “work” that James is teaching is obedience. 

Not the works of the law

Not works that earn a wage 

Not good works

Obedience to God in response to what He says to us.

Justification by faith simply means God spoke to a person and the person did what God said.

Paul teaches the same principle of justification by faith. 

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

• the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith. 

The the only way to be justified by faith is to obey what God says to us.

If anyone has a scripture, that teaches us we are justified by disobeying God then please share it with us. 

JLB 

Edited by JLB

Staff

Rom 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 
Rom 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 
Rom 3:25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 

18 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Are you saying that a person can live his entire life and never sin ? 

Hello JLB,

Can you please answer the above question.

Thank you

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Faber said:

Hello JLB,

Can you please answer the above question.

Thank you

Of course not.

I’m saying that a born again Christian who has the Holy Spirit can live in dominion over sin through the life of Christ maturing in them and by “sowing” or investing their time and effort towards the things of the Spirit, rather than the things of the flesh.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

• but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Peter says it this way -

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

• Peter is speaking to Christians.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

• Next comes our part of things we are to do to become fruitful, and live in cooperation with the Spirit who dwells within us. 

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

2 Peter 1:1-8

The born again Christian can confess their sins and be forgiven and cleansed of all unrighteousness.

Pursuing the life of holiness and godliness is the call of all born again Christians.

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: Hebrews 12:14

JLB

Edited by JLB

Staff
19 hours ago, JLB said:

I’m saying that a born again Christian who has the Holy Spirit can live in dominion over sin through the life of Christ maturing in them and by “sowing” or investing their time and effort towards the things of the Spirit, rather than the things of the flesh.

I agree in that there will be a life long struggle or striving against the flesh in the regenerate. To clarify, I don't believe sinless perfectionism is possible before glorification. But I do emphasize that a regenerate believer will never be happy or satisfied living in sin. If they momentarily succumb or slide backwards in sin I expect it might only be temporarily and they'll be brought to confession and repentance moving on to the last day (when they'll be glorified). The flesh is receptive to "thorns" and unfortunately exhibits scaring or sinful memory.

I expect that one day only one person Jesus Christ will bear the scars for all our sins as a reminder for all eternity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William said:

To clarify, I don't believe sinless perfectionism is possible before glorification.

Who teaches sinless perfection?

I would like to see what they are saying.

I agree with you.

Thank goodness we can confess our sin and be forgiven and cleansed. 

JLB 

2 hours ago, William said:

. If they momentarily succumb or slide backwards in sin I expect it might only be temporarily and they'll be brought to confession and repentance

My my life would be a good example of God’s gracious mercy towards a backslider. 

JLB 

Staff
8 hours ago, JLB said:

Who teaches sinless perfection?

I'm glad you stuck around to clarify much of what you state. I've realized in these last few days that I hadn't understood you correctly at first. Just remember, people didn't understand Jesus. If people didn't understand God then it is apparent that we will misunderstood from time to time.

As for who teaches sinless perfection check out some of these threads in the "Perfectionism" sub-forum: https://www.christforums.com/forums/forum/84-perfectionism/

God bless,

William

5 hours ago, William said:

I'm glad you stuck around to clarify much of what you state. I've realized in these last few days that I hadn't understood you correctly at first. Just remember, people didn't understand Jesus. If people didn't understand God then it is apparent that we will misunderstood from time to time.

As for who teaches sinless perfection check out some of these threads in the "Perfectionism" sub-forum: https://www.christforums.com/forums/forum/84-perfectionism/

God bless,

William

Our physical bodies contain sin.

Born again Christians are called to walk according to the Spirit, within us rather than walking according to the desires of our sinful flesh. 

JLB 

6 hours ago, William said:

God bless,

William

I didn’t read all of them but glanced through one with the title

”There will be no sinners in heaven”.

I agree with this title, however I may not agree with everything this posted believes. 

How about you?

Do you believe sinners will be in heaven?

JLB

Staff
2 hours ago, JLB said:

Born again Christians are called to walk according to the Spirit, within us rather than walking according to the desires of our sinful flesh. 

I didn’t read all of them but glanced through one with the title

”There will be no sinners in heaven”.

I agree with this title, however I may not agree with everything this posted believes. 

How about you?

JLB

Technically, heaven is not a permanent abode and Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

If Christians are animated by the Holy Spirit and are no longer in the flesh especially while in the intermediary state after they die then I cannot see why sinners would be in heaven.

The only way I can understand sinners in heaven or those living in the flesh is if a literalistical approach to apocalyptic literature is taken. The irony is that the legalistic tend to take a very legalisitcal approach to the Scriptures. In essence, they've caused the very problems they'll need deal with in this life as well as in the next.

5 hours ago, JLB said:

I think are sins are so numerous that it is impossible to name all of them as to what specifically took place and when they occurred. We are to ask God to cleanse us of all of our secret faults (Psalm 19:12).

14 hours ago, JLB said:

JLB 

Born again believers remain born again believers . And no, there is no such thing as a sinless life. That would indicate that one can lose their salvation . Walking in the Spirit is a moment by moment relationship with God . It's called The Fellowship of Believers . Eternal security is what the true people of God possess . John. 10:25-30 .    M

11 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Born again believers remain born again believers . And no, there is no such thing as a sinless life. That would indicate that one can lose their salvation . Walking in the Spirit is a moment by moment relationship with God . It's called The Fellowship of Believers . Eternal security is what the true people of God possess . John. 10:25-30 .    M

Your theory seems to neglect the fact that we all will stand before our Lord on the Day of Judgement to be Judged according to our deeds. 

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:6-8

Here is which born again Christians will inherit eternal life -

• eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

Here are those who won’t.  -

• but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,

JLB

23 hours ago, William said:

Technically, heaven is not a permanent abode and Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

If Christians are animated by the Holy Spirit and are no longer in the flesh especially while in the intermediary state after they die then I cannot see why sinners would be in heaven.

The only way I can understand sinners in heaven or those living in the flesh is if a literalistical approach to apocalyptic literature is taken. The irony is that the legalistic tend to take a very legalisitcal approach to the Scriptures. In essence, they've caused the very problems they'll need deal with in this life as well as in the next.

A sinner is a person separated from Christ; unreconciled with God. 

Lost.

For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;

Hebrews 7:26

Do you understand that if a brother in Christ wanders away from Him and becomes lost, he is a sinner in need of repentance?

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:4-7

• Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’

• I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

JLB 

Staff

The found sheep is not lost.