The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

I am close to your view.

Staff
justme said:
You know, I see somethings on both sides, but I do not see very much agressive talk on this side, why?

justme

Because some of the staff here are Reformed/Calvinist. Generally, people usually result to personal attack when they can't make their case from Scripture, and that's something the staff here does not tolerate. In another forum, for example, that is a strong hold for Arminians I was accused of being a false teacher, and promoting doctrine of the devil.

If you see something on "the Arminian" side, I urge you to use the search feature in this forum to see the Reformed/Calvinist approach to those Scriptures. Or if you wish to list them here, I'm sure someone will address them.

To be honest with you, I do not see any Scriptures on the Arminian side when the context is taken into consideration. I do acknowledge though that that side usually isolates a verse, and generally forces their presupposition into the Scriptures. If you read the most common Arminian arguments then you'll have a basic picture of some of the counter arguments: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...nian-arguments

This is all besides the point though, Arminians are definitely welcome into Christforums. Though given the contention for Orthodoxy it does make for an aggressive discussion - that is, if you consider putting Scriptures onto the anvil to be smashed by the sub-atomic hammer aggressive!

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Thanks William. I can't remember anyone on the other side ever giving much to consider or give Biblical evidence for their position. I know several Assembly of God people but they mainly expect evidence of Salvation by speaking in tongues, and the loss of salvation. All of which bring the hair on my neck to stand up. And that does does not look good.

justme

On 2/9/2017 at 12:01 PM, William said:

In another forum, for example, that is a strong hold for Arminians I was accused of being a false teacher, and promoting doctrine of the devil.

Got a link to that forum that's a "stronghold for Arminians", William?