The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

John Macarthur | How to deal with “Transgendered” people

Staff

I'm glad you said "transgender" rather than "transexual" because I think the key to understand these folks is in understanding that it's not a sexual thing. We see clear cases of young children identifying as the "other" gender. They aren't doing this to get "kicks", they just identify in their mind as something other than what the exterior anatomy tells us they are.

I'll add that I had a high school student last year who was transgender, and I had no idea for about a month. This was a student born with the "male" label, who didn't where female-only clothes, and yet still people would just assume she was a she. Spending time around someone like this just makes it all the more clear that just as sexuality is messier than binary, so is pretty much everything else about us.

So now, is she "wrong"? Not in any sense I can think of. Her just being herself doesn't hurt anyone, and it's not even any kind of force-fit to the people around her. Anyone who wants to take issue with her simply based on the unusual way she's been made needs to get their head on straight.

Staff
I'm glad you said "transgender" rather than "transexual" because I think the key to understand these folks is in understanding that it's not a sexual thing. We see clear cases of young children identifying as the "other" gender. They aren't doing this to get "kicks", they just identify in their mind as something other than what the exterior anatomy tells us they are.

I'll add that I had a high school student last year who was transgender, and I had no idea for about a month. This was a student born with the "male" label, who didn't where female-only clothes, and yet still people would just assume she was a she. Spending time around someone like this just makes it all the more clear that just as sexuality is messier than binary, so is pretty much everything else about us.

So now, is she "wrong"? Not in any sense I can think of. Her just being herself doesn't hurt anyone, and it's not even any kind of force-fit to the people around her. Anyone who wants to take issue with her simply based on the unusual way she's been made needs to get their head on straight.

Did you view the video? Any comments on its content? If not, we do not encourage commenting on titles.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Wow, that was pretty intense.

I think the best point made was that many people have something missing in their lives. What's missing is knowing their creator. We have a soul. That soul longs for God. When that void remains empty, people will try to fill it with something (or anything) else.

I'm glad he prescribes compassion too. I think too many people are too quick to harshly judge others instead of showing compassion.

• Like 1

Or maybe "deal with" them the same as you deal with anyone else you interact with over the course of your day.

If you watch the video, you'll see that a woman asked how to (biblically) deal with a transgendered family member. That's why it's phrased that way.

Many people don't know how to approach such sensitive topics while both attempting to both stay true to their beliefs and avoid upsetting others. The speaker attempted to answer that from a biblical perspective. As noted, the message also encourages compassion.

• Like 2

I have never been friends with a transgender person but have seen lot of them in my place. They would come and beg for money which saddens me because they are not aware of the opportunities that lies for them. It is not in the sexuality, they are also human beings so it is our duty I show some humanity and respect them for who they are.

I have never been friends with a transgender person but have seen lot of them in my place. They would come and beg for money which saddens me because they are not aware of the opportunities that lies for them. It is not in the sexuality, they are also human beings so it is our duty I show some humanity and respect them for who they are.

Humanity, or "human goodness" is an abomination and those that respect men hate the Father. They know that they sin but they do not know the despair that awaits them in the second death, and all one can do is admonish them. You should have been honest and said that you wish to accept them for who they aren't. The greatest enemy to Christianity is mediocrity and therefore I must reproof you.

I am shocked to be blunt. The greatest danger the Christian faith faces is becoming the enemy of everything they disagree with. Drive a wedge between those you disagree with and you have no chance of reconciling them with your beliefs.

I wonder if the gentleman has actually bothered reading the actual science behind many of these transgender cases. There is well established proof for instance that male feotuses exposed to very high levels of stress in the mother have a much higher chance of being born with female traits and and a desire to be a woman. Purely hormonal.

I have a gay son who is now 22 years old. He is possibly the best adjusted, well balanced loving young man you could hope to meet. He is incredibly tolerant because he has been raised this way.

If anyone is to blame for higher incidents of self harm and suicides amongst the gay and transgender community, then look no further than the "normal" people. There in lies the fault. Who gives anyone the right to judge a fellow human being. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Understanding and compassion is what is required. Religion does not need attacks to break it down if it intentionally tries to self destruct from within.

There is now way I can stop them from doing such harm to their bodies but I know that transgenders who decided to transition have shorter lifespan than most people. Not only they mutilate the genitals God gave them, they also take hormones that is not meant to dominate their body. I have a neighbor who is a transgendered woman and that person dies of cancer due to all the hormones and chemicals used just to look like a woman.

• Like 1

Humanity, or "human goodness" is an abomination and those that respect men hate the Father.

Mark 12:30-1 : We are commanded to love God and our neighbour. If we don't respect someone, how can we love them?

Does the Bible say being gay is a sin? Yes. But while I sit here in polycotton trousers, eating a shellfish sandwich, having lied to my husband this morning when I agreed I would be five minutes when I knew I'd be fifteen, said a rude word when I tripped over the cat, taken fifteen minutes at lunch to play a game instead of working (idleness), and all the other things that accumulate during daily life am I acutely aware that I am also a sinner and far from perfection? Yes. If God can forgive me, then who am I to say he cannot forgive others?

Compassion is an essential part of Christianity, for its own sake if nothing else.

• Like 1

I am shocked to be blunt. The greatest danger the Christian faith faces is becoming the enemy of everything they disagree with. Drive a wedge between those you disagree with and you have no chance of reconciling them with your beliefs.

I agree we shouldn't become the enemy of those we disagree with but we must love them instead. But if someone you love is living in a way that is contrary to God's command you have an obligation to warn him. I am glad you are maintaining to good relationship with your son but have you warned him how God feels about the gay lifestyle? If you haven't then I wonder if you really do love him.

I wonder if the gentleman has actually bothered reading the actual science behind many of these transgender cases. There is well established proof for instance that male feotuses exposed to very high levels of stress in the mother have a much higher chance of being born with female traits and and a desire to be a woman. Purely hormonal.

Hormonal changes may affect how a person feels about sex but they don't change God's commands and our obligation to obey those commands.

Something he did not touch upon, but is very important about understanding people who consider themselves "transgender" is that they are using this as a mechanism to deal with some sort of traumatic catalyst in their lives. Most often it is abuse of some form. Usually it is sexual in nature, but it can also be physical and/or emotional and/or mental. If you can go back to the root then you can then find a way (with God's help) to lovingly come alongside the individual and help them identify the fallacy of the path they are on, as well as show them how destructive it is.

Mark 12:30-1 : We are commanded to love God and our neighbour. If we don't respect someone, how can we love them?

Does the Bible say being gay is a sin? Yes. But while I sit here in polycotton trousers, eating a shellfish sandwich, having lied to my husband this morning when I agreed I would be five minutes when I knew I'd be fifteen, said a rude word when I tripped over the cat, taken fifteen minutes at lunch to play a game instead of working (idleness), and all the other things that accumulate during daily life am I acutely aware that I am also a sinner and far from perfection? Yes. If God can forgive me, then who am I to say he cannot forgive others?

Compassion is an essential part of Christianity, for its own sake if nothing else.

You will not make heaven if you continually lie, for all liars are cast into the lake of fire in the second resurrection. The bible tells us to love thy neighbor, and never did Jesus once make a compromise with the world, and because of this he was slain because individuals such as yourself wished him to slip up once so that they could find solidarity within him. Yet Christ loved relentlessly, all while calling people hypocrites and destroying their stalls in temples and warning sinners of their condemnation. Love is telling someone the truth, something nobody is willing to do anymore, which is why prophets are needed who must suffer tremendously their entire lives. I love the transgender by admonishing them, you hate them by coddling them with saccharine grins and coddling courtesy.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Matthew 7:3

My beam is no more. Matthew 7:5

My beam is no more. Matthew 7:5

In your opinion, others, or God's? Only Christ is without sin.

Be very wary about saying you are sinless. By the Bible's own words, those who claim to be perfect aren't:

"If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse."

In practice I think you will find that rebuking someone in a self-righteous manner is less likely to bring them to Christ than offering compassion and a open hand in friendship to bring them to the church. Acknowledging that what they do is wrong and they need to stop for salvation does not mean standing in the church door and stopping them entering until you deem them already perfect. That's God's judgement to make. Hate the sin, love the sinner and let them know redemption is always waiting if they choose it.

• Like 1

This is becoming a serious problem everywhere.

Here in New Zealand we are looking at gender-neutral changing rooms and bathrooms in schools.

This makes me sick.

Sorry, if you have a penis, you are a MALE. If you do not, you are a FEMALE.

So, what happens if you have a penis and one day you FEEL like a female and other days you FEEL like a male?

Here in New Zealand we are looking at gender-neutral changing rooms and bathrooms in schools.

That's going to work as well as mixed sex hospital wards do over here - also known as "it didn't". It gives genuine perverts (upskirt shot takers and the like) more access to their victims than they have in the current set-up.

I don't mind, in fact I fully endorse a seperate disabled or single-stall bathroom as either gender alongside standard bathrooms. It solves a lot of problems for parents and the disabled. But unless they are going to go with an "all stalls" set-up, which inconveniences and delays everyone, how are the authorities going to avoid small children brought in with a parent getting an eyeful that they shouldn't?

Sorry, if you have a penis, you are a MALE. If you do not, you are a FEMALE.
Please look up the David Reimer case. Gender is nowhere near that fluid, and raising a boy who lost his penis as a girl resulted in severe trauma and his suicide.
  • Like 1

It was and is wrong for either gender to pretend they are the opposite sex. For a parent to approve or instigate suck dastardly approval and encourage any transsexual or transgender activity is an out right travesty. The facts are nearly 70% or more transsexuals attempt suicide. Encouraging young children, and its been reported some parents start cross dressing their child as they enter kindergarten, preparing the child for eventually for sex change surgery before puberty. This is outrageous and totally wicked by those parents who do this to a child.

Justme

Ernest Hemingway's mother wanted a girl and when treated Ernest as a girl when he was small.

His mother was a domineering type who wanted a daughter, not a son, and dressed Ernest as a girl and called him Ernestine.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002133/bio

I wonder what she would have done if she lived today when sex change surgery is available.