The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ptahm22

Is this true......?

This is a question about Mark 7:24-30 where Jesus has a conversation with a woman. I tried to search the meaning or what was being discussed but am still not very sure. My Pastor told me that the Woman was teaching Jesus a lesson on being too judgmental. The fact that Jesus was being taught a lesson shocked me and since I don't like arguing about the scripture I didn't ask any more questions. What do you think about this scripture?

The woman wasn't teaching Jesus anything. Her daughter had an unclean spirit and she was asking Jesus for help. Jesus's apparent refusal to help her at first was evidently meant to test her faith.

Have you ever wondered why a gentile woman would have such strong faith in the first place? We can't know for sure but perhaps this is the explanation:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/a-canaanite-womans-faith/

Jesus was never wrong in the rest of the Gospels, why would your pastor suggest that he was lacking knowledge in that passage? I believe that the way Jesus decided to question and answer her further shows how Jesus came to save Jews as well as the gentiles. This story was another example of great faith amongst the gentile people e.g. Luke 7:2-10.

Quite honestly your pastor is completely in the wrong. Jesus is God made man, which means He has all the wisdom and knowledge of the Father. This is evidenced whenever he would talk to the Pharasees, and other elders among the Jews. He knew their hearts and what they were going to try and test Him on and He always turned the table on them.

I agree with @theophilus on the point that Jesus was testing the woman's faith. Not to see what she would do, because He already knew, but did it for her benefit.

Mark 7:24-30. My Pastor told me that the Woman was teaching Jesus a lesson on being too judgmental. The fact that Jesus was being taught a lesson shocked me and since I don't like arguing about the scripture I didn't ask any more questions. What do you think about this scripture?

I don't think your pastor knows who Jesus Christ really is or he would have never said what he did. As for being shocked, I would've been too.

*(cf John 3:17; John 12:47)