The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
tony

Purgatory

I sincerely want to know more about the teaching of Purgatory. Is it Biblical, if yes, I would like some Bible references.

Thank you

Hi Tony,

Have you read through the Bible?

I am not a Bible scholar at the moment. I am just asking the question to be cleared.

I am not a Bible scholar at the moment. I am just asking the question to be cleared.

I asked because I didn't want to assume anything.

You don't have to be a scholar to read the Bible. Most of it is pretty straightforward.

There are a few verses that some (Roman Catholics) use to support the idea of purgatory, but it is a real stretch to try to make them say what they do not.

One argument is all it takes to dismiss the idea of purgatory, and that is found in the idea of God's justice. We understand the Christ's death was payment for our sin; therefore, it would be unjust for the Father to demand two payments for the same debt. The debt is paid by Christ.

The idea of purgatory reveals how much those who hold to it, are trusting in their own righteousness, rather than Christ's, so save them.

No. Purgatory is not a biblical concept.

• Like 1

I asked because I didn't want to assume anything.

You don't have to be a scholar to read the Bible. Most of it is pretty straightforward.

There are a few verses that some (Roman Catholics) use to support the idea of purgatory, but it is a real stretch to try to make them say what they do not.

One argument is all it takes to dismiss the idea of purgatory, and that is found in the idea of God's justice. We understand the Christ's death was payment for our sin; therefore, it would be unjust for the Father to demand two payments for the same debt. The debt is paid by Christ.

The idea of purgatory reveals how much those who hold to it, are trusting in their own righteousness, rather than Christ's, so save them.

No. Purgatory is not a biblical concept.

I agree with you, Jesus Christ payed the ultimate price for our sins and we don't need any further purification other than believeling in him. I won't judge those believe in Purgatory but I believe in the Bible and it doesn't give any reference on Purgatory.

I agree with you, Jesus Christ payed the ultimate price for our sins and we don't need any further purification other than believeling in him. I won't judge those believe in Purgatory but I believe in the Bible and it doesn't give any reference on Purgatory.

If really the Bible does not give any reference on Purgatory then the big question would be where the teaching come from. Just asking

Staff
If really the Bible does not give any reference on Purgatory then the big question would be where the teaching come from. Just asking
There are a number of factors.

(1) Misunderstanding certain passages

(2) Relying on non-canonical texts

(3) Developing theologies within the Church long after the close of the canon.

Edited by Origen
  • Like 1

It is also a 'logical necessity' of the Catholic belief in the function of confession.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This is something that we all believe, but the Roman Catholic Church would place a spin on this that ONLY those sins which you confessed (to a Priest) are forgiven, thus there will be unconfessed sins (including any sinful thoughts between your last confession and death) that will be unforgiven. So they need a mechanism for paying this 'unpaid fine' and came up with purgatory.

What I would like to add may God help us all. Personally before I accept a doctrine fully I always want to be very sure it has a root in the Bible.

I am aware of the saying, what we agreed on Earth will also be agreed Above. This I understand to be in accordance with the word of God. I stand to be corrected.