The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Your Favorite Quotes

I think the author is referring to his own book or his own "thoughts" in his book (right Chatterbox?). If Bach is a New Age thinker, he's into all things "spiritual", so he would not agree in the exclusivity of the Bible concerning soteriological issues, but neither would he say that everything it may be wrong, misunderstood perhaps ;), but not "wrong".
Correct. The line is written right after the author sees his friend killed in front of him and turns to his book of rules for guidance. Instead of comfort or support he just reads that one line, and has to face the idea that everything he has learned may be wrong.

If you've ever had your faith truly shaken, that line hits very close to home. It voices the doubt you need to overcome.

• Like 1

“He knew, long before, the doubts, fears, and suspicions, which would arise in my mind when I should come to know what I am, what I have done, and what I have deserved; and, therefore, He declared, before He left the earth, ‘Him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out.’ I have no money or price in my hand, no worthiness to recommend me and I need none, for He saveth freely for His own name’s sake.” – John Newton

• Like 2

“Jesus says: Console yourself, you would not seek me, if you had not found me.”

-Blaise Pascal

“The God of Christians is a God of love and comfort, a God who fills the soul and heart of those whom he possesses, a God who makes them conscious of their inward wretchedness, and his infinite mercy; who unites himself to their inmost soul, who fills it with humility and joy, with confidence and love, who renders them incapable of any other end than himself.”

-Blaise Pascal

“Without Jesus Christ man must be in vice and misery; with Jesus Christ man is free from vice and misery; in him is all our virtue and all our happiness. Apart from him there is but vice, misery, darkness, death, despair.”

-Blaise Pascal

• Like 3

Zephania 3:17

The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

• Like 3

The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity. by Benjamin Franklin

Here are three of my favorite quotes:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ~ by Oscar Wilde

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance". ~ by Oscar Wilde

"If you're happy, tell your face." ~ unknown

• Like 1

Here are three of my favorite quotes:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ~ by Oscar Wilde

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance". ~ by Oscar Wilde

"If you're happy, tell your face." ~ unknown

:)

• Like 1

Staff

"All who count on being saved by their own performances, or rely upon their own obedience for acceptance by God, are under the curse of His Law, exposed to His wrath.

Justification by Law-keeping is an utter impossibility for any fallen creature. Why so? Because God’s Law requires flawless and perpetual conformity, sinless perfection in thought and word and deed (James 2:10), and because it makes no provision for failure to comply with its holy and righteous terms. It is not sufficient to hear about or know the requirements of God’s Law—they must be met. Thus it is obvious that a law which already condemns cannot justify, and that any who hope to merit God’s favour, by their fickle and faulty attempts to obey it, are woefully deceived. "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them” (Galatians 3:10)."

This statement was made by the apostle to show that every man is under divine condemnation until he flees to Christ for refuge."

~Arthur Pink 1886-1952, "Divine Cursings"

• Like 3

We look at life from the back side of the tapestry. And most of the time, what we see is loose threads, tangled knots and the like. But occasionally, God's light shines through the tapestry, and we get a glimpse of the larger design with God weaving together the darks and lights of existence.

-John Piper

• Like 2

Staff

17522945_1247338775382730_2825350815815035011_n.jpg.c1be64b4855b374ed0a1047801b7a6bc.jpg

• Like 2