The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Your Favorite Quotes

My favorite quote is from Hindu scriptures. It says:

If the world wasn't beautiful, why would Gods come to live among us."

I find this quote very inspiring. It emphasize on the enjoying the beauty of the world and celebrating life not matter how much you suffer.

Staff

I find this quote very inspiring. It emphasize on the enjoying the beauty of the world and celebrating life not matter how much you suffer.

You have my curiosity Chameli, "If the world wasn't beautiful, why would Gods come to live among us".

What is beautiful? What is the world and what is it about it that is beautiful?

The verses you shared from the Hindu texts seem to indicate that the world is beautiful, so I'm curious about the nature of that beauty from the perspective of a Hindu god? Perhaps you can elaborate?

God bless,

William

Author James W. Sire says, "Step on my toe. Must I curse? I may. Must I forgive you? I may. Must I yell? I may. Must I smile? I may. What I do will reflect my character, but it is "I" who will act and not just react like a bell ringing when a button is pushed

• Like 1

Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything it takes to make us like His Son. --Elisabeth Elliot

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 1

At the heart of Christianity is a God who came to, not a beautiful world, but an ugly one, filled with hate, suffering and death, yet He left paradise to enter into our suffering, in order to free us from it.

He traded perfect beauty and peace for a whip to His back, nails through His hands, and the full and unmitigated wrath of the Father. That is how He demonstrates His love for us. That's how He turns an ugly world beautiful again.

This is what makes Christianity unique.

• Like 3

My favorite quote is 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (KJV)

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 2

“Trust him. And when you have done that, you are living the life of grace. No matter what happens to you in the course of that trusting - no matter how many waverings you may have, no matter how many suspicions that you have bought a poke with no pig in it, no matter how much heaviness and sadness your lapses, vices, indispositions, and bratty whining may cause you - you believe simply that Somebody Else, by his death and resurrection, has made it all right, and you just say thank you and shut up. The whole slop-closet full of mildewed performances (which is all you have to offer) is simply your death; it is Jesus who is your life. If he refused to condemn you because your works were rotten, he certainly isn't going to flunk you because your faith isn't so hot. You can fail utterly, therefore, and still live the life of grace. You can fold up spiritually, morally, or intellectually and still be safe. Because at the very worst, all you can be is dead - and for him who is the Resurrection and the Life, that just makes you his cup of tea.” - Robert F. Capon

Possibly a slightly controversial one because the author is New Age, not Christian, but:

"Everything in this book may be wrong" Richard Bach.

It's a phrase that, for me, sums up the struggle with doubt in the worst times of our life, and the need to remain true to our faith despite it. I find it sums up the struggles of faith so perfectly, because it may be wrong but we trust and have faith in God that it is not. And if it may be wrong, it may be right.

• Like 1

I think the author is referring to his own book or his own "thoughts" in his book (right Chatterbox?). If Bach is a New Age thinker, he's into all things "spiritual", so he would not agree in the exclusivity of the Bible concerning soteriological issues, but neither would he say that everything it may be wrong, misunderstood perhaps ;), but not "wrong".

• Like 1

I remember the Dalai Lama was all aflutter about worldwide religious ecumenism, along with most others at a conference a few years back, that is until he was pressed about the core beliefs of Christianity. Once confronted he had to reluctantly admit that the basic teachings/beliefs of Christianity and Buddhism "are not harmonizable".

If something is universally true in this world, something else that contradicts it cannot be be equally true as well, but that is what many today would have us believe about our various religions :(

• Like 1

I remember the Dalai Lama was all aflutter about worldwide religious ecumenism, along with most others at a conference a few years back, that is until he was pressed about the core beliefs of Christianity. Once confronted he had to reluctantly admit that the basic teachings/beliefs of Christianity and Buddhism "are not harmonizable".

If something is universally true in this world, something else that contradicts it cannot be be equally true as well, but that is what many today would have us believe about our various religions :(

You make an excellent point of logic, but thought and logic have been forbidden by our culture, where we all "feel" rather than think.

• Like 2