The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Systematic Theology - Charles Hodge

Staff

The magnum opus of one of America's most prominent theologians offers an in-depth exploration of theology, anthropology, soteriology, and eschatology. This monumental work, now a standard for theological students, was written while Hodge served as a professor at Princeton, where he permanently influenced American Christianity as a teacher, preacher, and exegete. Includes a comprehensive index.

• Like 1

Staff
15 minutes ago, JLB said:

Is there a link or attachment. 

Staff
29 minutes ago, JLB said:

Is there a link or attachment. 

Sorry about that, the OP was migrated from old software back in the day and the attachment wasn't brought over.

Thanks.

i looked it up and found his extensive work on a pdf. 

Have you read it?

JLB

Staff
4 hours ago, JLB said:

Thanks.

i looked it up and found his extensive work on a pdf. 

Have you read it?

JLB

Yea, I provided the link to our download section where the PDF is available. Have you read all three volumes yet?

5 hours ago, William said:

Yea, I provided the link to our download section where the PDF is available. Have you read all three volumes yet?

Wow you read all of that. 

Amazing. 

No I haven’t read it. 

I read the Bible because it’s inspired. 

JLB 

Staff
2 hours ago, JLB said:

Wow you read all of that. 

Amazing. 

No I haven’t read it. 

I read the Bible because it’s inspired. 

JLB 

You also read forums . Why? 

• Like 1

Staff
10 minutes ago, Becky said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It also makes me wonder why he would ask for a link to Hodge when he knows he is not going to read it.  What is the point in that?

Staff

JLB has never understood his words are only commentaries. There seems to be a strong feeling of only he and those who blindly agree with him are taught of the Holy Spirit.  The approach seems to be literal until it does not suit him. Not rude or ugly just very double standardly  dogmatic. 

Staff
5 minutes ago, Origen said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It also makes me wonder why he would ask for a link to Hodge when he knows he is not going to read it.  What is the point in that?

To demonstrate how he rejects the teaching of Scripture concerning certain offices and men gifted (quipped) for those offices?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Becky said:

I post on Forums to share the truth with others. 

How  about you ?

Staff
23 minutes ago, JLB said:

I post on Forums to share the truth with others. 

How  about you ?

You were not asked why you post but why you read.. Still twisting the words.  Over the years you post as if your words are not commentary yet they are exactly that .. Once again why do read forums , then again maybe you dont really read others posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becky said:

You were not asked why you post but why you read..

I have to read each post to know how to respond. 

Staff

Why would you read the commentaries of forum members and ignore commentaries written before this style of forums was available?   Those older commentaries can also be replied too.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 1:50 AM, William said:

The magnum opus of one of America's most prominent theologians offers an in-depth exploration of theology, anthropology, soteriology, and eschatology. This monumental work, now a standard for theological students, was written while Hodge served as a professor at Princeton, where he permanently influenced American Christianity as a teacher, preacher, and exegete. Includes a comprehensive index.

This is one of the books[ or rather, group of books]I need to add to my collection. I love to have a hardback copy, simply because that is how I have always studied, and I like to highlight different colors. When I'm done with a book, it looks like a rainbow lol. 

I have read some of these volumes, and absolutely love them!  

• Like 1