The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

This is part of what I've found regarding federal law.

Conveniently slipped inside a major budgetary spending bill meant to prevent the government from shutting down is an earmarked section that lifts the federal ban on medical marijuana. How tricky.

Excerpt of bill H.R. 83 text reads as:

“Sec. 538. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana. Sec. 539. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used in contravention of section 7606 (“Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research”) of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-79) by the Department of Justice or the Drug Enforcement Administration.”

The Obama administration said they would be not interfere in states medical marijuana laws — which in effect prevented federal agents from going after legal medical pot shops in a de facto manner. But now it is written law. This means that states with medical marijuana laws don’t have to be fearful of federal agents raiding and shutting down legal dispensaries

http://nationalpainreport.com/congress-quietly-ends-federal-ban-on-medical-marijuana-8828775.html

Shown Here:
Introduced in House (02/27/2017)

Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017

This bill amends the Controlled Substances Act to provide that the Act's regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal penalties do not apply to with respect to marijuana.

It removes marijuana and tetrahydrocannabinols from schedule I. (A schedule I controlled substance is a drug, substance, or chemical that: has a high potential for abuse; has no currently accepted medical value; and is subject to regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal penalties under the Controlled Substances Act.)

Additionally, it eliminates criminal penalties for an individual who imports, exports, manufactures, distributes, or possesses with intent to distribute marijuana.

The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both.

WWW.CONGRESS.GOV

Summary of H.R.1227 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017

I don’t smoke,so no dog in this fight. It is legal in this and increasingly more states who see an opportunity.

I'm not sure the, "It's against the law" argument really holds water anymore.

• Like 1

Staff
WWW.NAP.EDU

Read chapter Front Matter: Significant changes have taken place in the policy landscape surrounding cannabis legalization, production, and use. During the...

That's a lot of good reading Origen, I scanned it quickly and will do a more thorough job later. It appears to show health reasons for not completely legalizing pot, though I believe that horse has left the barn.

Interestingly enough, other birth weight it didn't seem to have much impact on children born to smoking mothers. Impact on mental health is iffy.

This one I had to copy;

There is moderate evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and:

The impairment in the cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention (acute cannabis use) (11-1a)

There is limited evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and:

Impaired academic achievement and education outcomes (11-2)

Increased rates of unemployment and/or low income (11-3)

Impaired social functioning or engagement in developmentally appropriate social roles (11-4)

There is limited evidence of a statistical association between sustained abstinence from cannabis use and:

Impairments in the cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention (11-1b)

Major depressive disorder is a risk factor for the development of problem cannabis use

I'll get back to it tomorrow. Thanks for the info again. Knowledge is good. Feeling and opinions... ehh..

I suspect most people will do what they want regardless of the the information. Perhaps pick and choose which parts to ignore and which to emphasize.

Staff
15 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

That's a lot of good reading Origen, I scanned it quickly and will do a more thorough job later. It appears to show health reasons for not completely legalizing pot, though I believe that horse has left the barn.

Interestingly enough, other birth weight it didn't seem to have much impact on children born to smoking mothers. Impact on mental health is iffy.

This one I had to copy;

There is moderate evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and:

The impairment in the cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention (acute cannabis use) (11-1a)

There is limited evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and:

Impaired academic achievement and education outcomes (11-2)

Increased rates of unemployment and/or low income (11-3)

Impaired social functioning or engagement in developmentally appropriate social roles (11-4)

There is limited evidence of a statistical association between sustained abstinence from cannabis use and:

Impairments in the cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention (11-1b)

Major depressive disorder is a risk factor for the development of problem cannabis use

I'll get back to it tomorrow. Thanks for the info again. Knowledge is good. Feeling and opinions... ehh..

I suspect most people will do what they want regardless of the the information. Perhaps pick and choose which parts to ignore and which to emphasize.

I have no ax to grind one way or the other.  Since this report was produced by The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine it appears to be a reliable and reputable source of information.

10 hours ago, islandrazor said:

This is part of what I've found regarding federal law.

Conveniently slipped inside a major budgetary spending bill meant to prevent the government from shutting down is an earmarked section that lifts the federal ban on medical marijuana. How tricky.

Excerpt of bill H.R. 83 text reads as:

“Sec. 538. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana. Sec. 539. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used in contravention of section 7606 (“Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research”) of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-79) by the Department of Justice or the Drug Enforcement Administration.”

The Obama administration said they would be not interfere in states medical marijuana laws — which in effect prevented federal agents from going after legal medical pot shops in a de facto manner. But now it is written law. This means that states with medical marijuana laws don’t have to be fearful of federal agents raiding and shutting down legal dispensaries

http://nationalpainreport.com/congress-quietly-ends-federal-ban-on-medical-marijuana-8828775.html

Shown Here:
Introduced in House (02/27/2017)

Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017

This bill amends the Controlled Substances Act to provide that the Act's regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal penalties do not apply to with respect to marijuana.

It removes marijuana and tetrahydrocannabinols from schedule I. (A schedule I controlled substance is a drug, substance, or chemical that: has a high potential for abuse; has no currently accepted medical value; and is subject to regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal penalties under the Controlled Substances Act.)

Additionally, it eliminates criminal penalties for an individual who imports, exports, manufactures, distributes, or possesses with intent to distribute marijuana.

The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both.

WWW.CONGRESS.GOV

Summary of H.R.1227 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017

I don’t smoke,so no dog in this fight. It is legal in this and increasingly more states who see an opportunity.

I'm not sure the, "It's against the law" argument really holds water anymore.

That bill is just a bill. It is not the law. It has only been introduced, it was never passed. That means MJ is still illegal in all 50 states.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:35 PM, Matthew Duvall said:

What's the difference between driving drunk while consuming alcohol or driving while consuming weed ? They both put human lives in jeopardy .

If Marujana is being used for medicinal use then it comes under the same restrictions as other strong painkillers: e.g. tramadol, codeine and others in that class which all prohibit driving/operating heavy machinery, etc. Therefore the issue of driving on it should not come up. If it does, then the user is abusing their medication and should be treated exactly like a drunk driver.

• Like 1