The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Staff

Psa 1:1  Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 
Psa 1:2  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 

• Love 1

The question isn't even loaded. No ifs, ands or buts about it: It is sinful to get high. Anybody will know their limit on any substance. A little liquor okay; getting drunk no. If weed becomes legal, one would have to ask why they would do it. Overdoing it will be sinful. Chronic pain relief: it could be just another tool. Now one could be dying of cancer and take it for extreme pain, that would be different. Of course, they don't take pain meds and go out to drive a car. Legalization will at least provide tax relief and kill some of the black market evil surrounding it.

in-deep-thought-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7a508a1012f2792e6117a0f5325b21b.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deade said:

The question isn't even loaded. No ifs, ands or buts about it: It is sinful to get high. Anybody will know their limit on any substance. A little liquor okay; getting drunk no. If weed becomes legal, one would have to ask why they would do it. Overdoing it will be sinful. Chronic pain relief: it could be just another tool. Now one could be dying of cancer and take it for extreme pain, that would be different. Of course, they don't take pain meds and go out to drive a car. Legalization will at least provide tax relief and kill some of the black market evil surrounding it.

in-deep-thought-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7a508a1012f2792e6117a0f5325b21b.gif

It's about to be legalized in my state.  I think as long as it's legal I don't have a problem with it like I did when it was illegal. 

• Like 1

OTC drugs are killing people. Plus the side effects can be monstrous. They have a CBD oil that has a small amount of thc. The thc activates the CBD and makes it effective. There is not enough thc to make you high. This treatment is helping so many people with chronic pain. Unfortunately, there are so many people that just want to get high. So yes. It is abused. So are opiates. I only approve of the medical use. Not the other. I hate dope and what it does to lives and families. It's so easy for people who don't live with chronic pain to be naysayers and condemn. But if you walked in someone's shoes who lives in terrible pain. You might change your mind. All opiates are drugs. I'd rather take something that doesn't have horrible side effects and makes me spacy. This is just my opinion.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I think it is fine for true medical use and for people that cannot drink alcohol for whatever reason.  I think alcohol is probably worse for a person overall than marijuana.  If it is legalized for recreational use then I don't have a problem with it either (as long as it's legal).  I usually agree with Todd Friel but not on this issue, the age of the universe, or the age of retirement.

The key words are "probably worse, nor worse than" Anything "worse" because worse is worse. Smoking is bad no matter what it is. Perhaps medical might be ok. But after a state approved in medically the next step is recreational.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Just Mike said:

The key words are "probably worse, nor worse than" Anything "worse" because worse is worse. Smoking is bad no matter what it is. Perhaps medical might be ok. But after a state approved in medically the next step is recreational.

Yeah, I think medical is OK as well but recreational is getting passed everywhere.  Next step is it will be federally legal.  That's the way the votes are turning out.

2 hours ago, Faber said:

I wonder if any other "illegal drug" now will in the future be given the green light?

I hope not.  Weed is not that bad but every other drug is real bad.

• Praying 1

14 hours ago, ElenaCM said:

OTC drugs are killing people. Plus the side effects can be monstrous. They have a CBD oil that has a small amount of thc. The thc activates the CBD and makes it effective. There is not enough thc to make you high. This treatment is helping so many people with chronic pain. Unfortunately, there are so many people that just want to get high. So yes. It is abused. So are opiates. I only approve of the medical use. Not the other. I hate dope and what it does to lives and families. It's so easy for people who don't live with chronic pain to be naysayers and condemn. But if you walked in someone's shoes who lives in terrible pain. You might change your mind. All opiates are drugs. I'd rather take something that doesn't have horrible side effects and makes me spacy. This is just my opinion.

I'm sorry but you are wrong!  You are guilty of logic by observation, period!  You appear to have read this string, consumed and weighed the presentations and appear, to this observer to have a Dine Woven Filter woven from the finest Silken Logic available to a man... the Word of YHWH.  You will need to tread carefully along this path, however, it is laid in the midst of Ankle Consuming, Ali-gator Mouthed Flesh Eating Japanese Beetles from the midst of Hell disguised as Love Filled Christians.

You have observed the World around you, listened to the thoughtless, clueless Experts and are straining into the Two Ounce Beaker of all Truth.  May YHWH continue to pour out His Mercy, Grace and Blessing without end on you and your family!

• Like 1

I'm sorry you feel the need, Bill, to use so many descriptives of who I am and where my soul is. I do not nor will I ever condone drug abuse. The subject line was about opinions on marijuana relating to the Christian life (I would gather since this IS a Christian forum). I stated my belief. I would use a cbd with a small thc mix. It doesn't get you high. It doesn't boggle your brain or give you the munchies. It has no side affects compared to opiates to relieve chronic pain or any pain for that matter. You believe it's of the devil. So I guess you believe doctor prescribed opiates  (which is what millions of people for years have been and are still being prescribed) are not of the devil. Have you ever read up on the case history of opiates? So I guess you feel opium is not of the devil. Yet it is still being sold and used black market. But it is an OTC. How can one say it is evil and good? It is the user who defines the right and wrong. The thc in marijuana (like opium) has medicinal purposes which helps alleviate tremendous pain.  I'm not saying go get high and party ya'all by no means. Only that it has helped so many people with chronic pain, e.g. cancer patients, fibromyalgia sufferers. To say that these people, myself included, who suffer tremendous pain day in and day out, deserve all your brow beating and fist pummeling and God save our dooming souls, in my opinion, is .... 

For all my brothers and sisters who suffer ... my heart is with you. I know what you face day in and day out. I know the courage you have just to get out of bed and make it through the day. God be with you, comfort you, and strengthen you. Hugs.

• Sad 1

On 10/29/2016 at 6:33 PM, JoelNL231 said:

Hey, i'm wondering what is the bibical, and what is your personal opinion about Weed? I know that the bible discusses mind altering drugs, but not weed specificaly and it has been scientifically proven that Weed isn't that bad for you at all, it actually helps recreating brain cells and stops and in some cases even heals cancer.

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to use it, i'm just curious about it.

It is against the law, therefore, would violate Romans 13.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, ElenaCM said:

I'm sorry you feel the need, Bill, to use so many descriptives of who I am and where my soul is. I do not nor will I ever condone drug abuse. The subject line was about opinions on marijuana relating to the Christian life (I would gather since this IS a Christian forum). I stated my belief. I would use a cbd with a small thc mix. It doesn't get you high. It doesn't boggle your brain or give you the munchies. It has no side affects compared to opiates to relieve chronic pain or any pain for that matter. You believe it's of the devil. So I guess you believe doctor prescribed opiates  (which is what millions of people for years have been and are still being prescribed) are not of the devil. Have you ever read up on the case history of opiates? So I guess you feel opium is not of the devil. Yet it is still being sold and used black market. But it is an OTC. How can one say it is evil and good? It is the user who defines the right and wrong. The thc in marijuana (like opium) has medicinal purposes which helps alleviate tremendous pain.  I'm not saying go get high and party ya'all by no means. Only that it has helped so many people with chronic pain, e.g. cancer patients, fibromyalgia sufferers. To say that these people, myself included, who suffer tremendous pain day in and day out, deserve all your brow beating and fist pummeling and God save our dooming souls, in my opinion, is .... 

For all my brothers and sisters who suffer ... my heart is with you. I know what you face day in and day out. I know the courage you have just to get out of bed and make it through the day. God be with you, comfort you, and strengthen you. Hugs.

One more I regret that someone has not researched the thread for content, content that would have given you a clear field of operations and would have kept you out of the mud with the sight obstructing heavy brush I wish to cut through here for your benefit.  I used chemicals for better than twenty-five years, suffer from Agent Orange induced, long term Pain Issues.  I have a prescription for six Tramadol a day with the promise that when I can no longer take the pain for the hard stuff that will enable me to off myself  by slow increase until a painless death.

I like Tramadol because there is no narcotic effect, it just blocks the nerves from transmitting it, as I have been given to understand.  Instead of six a day, I have it limited it to two a day, just enough to tolerate the discomfort.

Reason?  Our Elohim, YHWH, has not given me the Itinerary for the rest of my growing/testing period and to complete my mission (the last three verses of Matthew) I must maintain a clear head and and remain focused on my mission.  I often awake in so much pain my wife must bring me two pills, make my coffee and in about an hour I am able to get out of bed and into my motorized chair with the help of my wife and some times my daughter.  I have been in pain since before my third tour of combat in Vietnam.  I live in pain, choosing not to off mysef... you?

• Like 2

Everyone let's cool down a bit on this thread. I am locking it down for a day or so to give everyone a chance to calm down. The bottom line is that Marijuana is illegal in the United States under Federal Law. As such, it would be sin for a Christian to use it even if it is "legal" on the state level in your location.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Staff

Thread unlocked.

And since I think we should consider opposing arguments (from those that get high):

I have serious pain issues. I have never used any illegal drugs, or smoked anything but a pipe while in the Navy and a few years after getting out. I personally have many unanswered questions about medical marijuana. I do not believe enough long term study has been done to conclusively prove that using medical marijuana and its side effects are not just as dangerous and and addictive like most serious pain drugs in use today.

IMO when medical marijuana is voted in on States, soon thereafter the supporters of marijuana for recreational use are not far behind asking for a Stares vote  making it legal for private use. Under the guise of increasing the tax revenue for helping schools and other programs like better highways and the like, recreational marijuana has not become legal in nine states so far. If medical marijuana was where the use of marijuana use ended that might be acceptable (note I said MIGHT) but so far this has not been to case. So far (I think) in ever case once voters agreed to medical marijuana, recreational use was voted in sometime later.

I can't recall ever a time when any serious pain reliever had to be brought before the voting public to be approved to be sold. Under no circumstance can I think of where beer or any alcoholic drink  required   voter approval to be sold.

Until it is no longer illegal to use recreational marijuana by the Federal Government I am totally against it. Even under Federal approval I still believe smoking anything is not only unacceptable for Christians, but a sin.

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

18 hours ago, Just Mike said:

Under no circumstance can I think of where beer or any alcoholic drink  required   voter approval to be sold.

Actually, this is something that is regularly voted on. It was on the ballot in my county just a few years ago. (We are still a dry county)

• Like 2

Staff
29 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Actually, this is something that is regularly voted on. It was on the ballot in my county just a few years ago. (We are still a dry county)

In my home state of Tennessee there are 8 dry counties (Campbell, Blount, Crockett, Hancock, Sevier, Stewart, Weakley, and Moore).  There are some exceptions within some municipalities.

The most interesting of these is Moore county home of the Jack Daniel's distillery.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

Staff

Staff
1 hour ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Again, just briefly going down that list, I don't see where (in closed studies) that it is MORE beneficial than other available medications/treatments.

I never said it was.  I just put it out there for others to consult.  However no doubt some will disagree with your assessment.

Many in this thread keep referring to "studies" but not one person provided any information concerning those studies.

2 minutes ago, Origen said:

I never said it was.  I just put it out there for others to see.

I learned something from that article.  It is used to treat many different ailments.  I knew it was used for a lot but not that many. 

3 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I learned something from that article.  It is used to treat many different ailments.  I knew it was used for a lot but not that many. 

Note that most of that article is ongoing and not conclusive research....

1 hour ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Note that most of that article is ongoing and not conclusive research....

Are you sure some of it is not conclusive?  I read from some other sources which showed ailments marijuana treats and it included all kinds of ailments, including PTSD, and other serious mental health conditions, in addition to, physical health conditions.  There are problems with it though.  I heard it could cause paranoia for some people.  I read it could even cause permanent psychosis for a very small few.  It has it's risks like any other drug we put in our bodies.  I guess I am OK with people using it as long as it is for real medical conditions which it does help with or if recreational legal in the state as long as you do not drive on the stuff and obey the laws.  Biblically speaking, I put equal with alcohol since it is regualted like alcohol in my state and it has similarities.  I think it is better for you than alcohol and I think it does serve medical purposes.  In the Bible alcohol in moderation is acceptable.  Our Lord Jesus Christ use to drink alcohol, as did many other Bibilcal figures including Daniel I believe.  They use to make drink offerings to the Lord.  Drinking is common still today with Jews on the Sabbath specifically.  So I put weed along with that.  Moderation is the key if legal in the State.

Edited by CDF47