SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Marie

Tattoos

atpollard

I agree with your view of Salvation (and I had listened to that recording). From Adam to Abraham to Moses to David to Peter to Timothy to Luther to Calvin to Billy Graham to me ... we are all saved EXACTLY the same way. Some look back to Jesus and some look forward, but He is the only way.

I am also not someone who embraces bad dispensationalist theology and claims "that was the Old Testament and has nothing to do with us in the New Testament."

However, I also embrace the view of Hebrews that the New Covenant is in every way superior to the old covenant. What I do not wish to see, is the Old Testament used to place any yolk of legalism on any believer. That is what I see with the plucking of the verse out of the middle and enforcing it as a scarlet letter against Christians.

I can not imagine God or any other Christian viewing my friend working on his M.Div. with the page from a Greek Manuscript tattooed on his arm and say, see ... he is just like those neo-nazi and bikers in the world. Can a tattoo be worldly? Yes. Is a tattoo automatically worldly? I don't think so.

I object to the misapplication of OT Scriptire as a stumbling block to grace and a yolk of legalism. I think that I agree with Luther on this point, I would rather risk licentiousness than legalism. So I will advocate for GRACE (in capitals). :)

William
Staff
I can not imagine God or any other Christian viewing my friend working on his M.Div. with the page from a Greek Manuscript tattooed on his arm and say, see ... he is just like those neo-nazi and bikers in the world. Can a tattoo be worldly? Yes. Is a tattoo automatically worldly? I don't think so.

I do not think you are grasping the Moral and Ceremonial law through a typological lens. Is a Tattoo automatically worldly? The OT Scripture provided and its surrounding context says otherwise.

I think you insinuate that choosing to follow the meaning of those verses suggests legalism, but you have pointed out the two greatest commandments. Consider the entire Chapter 19 of Deut.

19 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them, You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. 3 Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the Lord your God. 4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the Lord your God.

5 “When you offer a sacrifice of peace offerings to the Lord, you shall offer it so that you may be accepted. 6 It shall be eaten the same day you offer it or on the day after, and anything left over until the third day shall be burned up with fire. 7 If it is eaten at all on the third day, it is tainted; it will not be accepted, 8 and everyone who eats it shall bear his iniquity, because he has profaned what is holy to the Lord, and that person shall be cut off from his people.

Love Your Neighbor as Yourself

9 “When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

11 “You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another. 12 You shall not swear by my name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.

13 “You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired worker shall not remain with you all night until the morning. 14 You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

15 “You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor. 16 You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life[a] of your neighbor: I am the Lord.

17 “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

You Shall Keep My Statutes

19 “You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material.

20 “If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free; 21 but he shall bring his compensation to the Lord, to the entrance of the tent of meeting, a ram for a guilt offering. 22 And the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the guilt offering before the Lord for his sin that he has committed, and he shall be forgiven for the sin that he has committed.

23 “When you come into the land and plant any kind of tree for food, then you shall regard its fruit as forbidden. Three years it shall be forbidden to you; it must not be eaten. 24 And in the fourth year all its fruit shall be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. 25 But in the fifth year you may eat of its fruit, to increase its yield for you: I am the Lord your God.

26 “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not interpret omens or tell fortunes.

27 You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard.

28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

29 “Do not profane your daughter by making her a prostitute, lest the land fall into prostitution and the land become full of depravity.

30 You shall keep my Sabbaths and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord.

31 “Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

32 “You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

33 “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. 34 You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

35 “You shall do no wrong in judgment, in measures of length or weight or quantity. 36 You shall have just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin:[c] I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt. 37 And you shall observe all my statutes and all my rules, and do them: I am the Lord.”

I am exhausted on this topic. Though I think it is evident that these things in the Chapter were addressing the distinctions Israel was to have from the world.

God bless,

William

thatbrian
you insinuate that choosing to follow the meaning of those verses suggests legalism,

Any mention of sin is met with that accusation, it seems.

• Like 2

William
Staff

I think this is rather great advice given by another Christian:

The Bible mentions tattoos just once, at Leviticus 19:28, which says: “You must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves.” God gave this command to the nation of Israel, thus setting them apart from the neighboring peoples who marked their skin with the names or symbols of their gods. (Deuteronomy 14:2) While the Law given to Israel is not binding on Christians (We differ here, and I think it undermines the necessity for Christ), the principle underpinning this law is worth serious consideration. (Think about that for a moment)

Should a Christian get a tattoo or body art?

The following Bible verses can help you to reason on the matter:

• “Women should adorn themselves with . . . modesty.” (1 Timothy 2:9, New American Bible) That principle applies to both women and men. We should respect the feelings of others and not draw undue attention to ourselves.
  • Some want to establish their identity or independence, while others get a tattoo in order to assert ownership of their body. However, the Bible encourages Christians: “Present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.” (Romans 12:1) Use your “power of reason” to analyze why you want a tattoo. If it is because you want to follow a fad or to show membership in a certain group, remember that your feelings may prove to be less permanent than the tattoo. Examining your motives can help you to make a wise decision.—Proverbs 4:7.
  • “The plans of the diligent one surely make for advantage, but everyone that is hasty surely heads for want.” (Proverbs 21:5) The decision to get a tattoo is often made in haste, yet it can have a long-term impact on relationships and employment. And tattoos can be costly and painful to remove. Research—as well as the booming business of tattoo removal—shows that a large number of those who get tattoos eventually wish that they hadn’t.

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teaching...about-tattoos/

I like her point 2. The question is, does God want us to Tattoo ourselves? Does it please Him? And yes, this is forgivable, but I think promoting Tattoos undermines what is outlined in Scripture, that is, because Scripture is the revealed will of God.

God bless,

William

thatbrian

This is an area in which I can't understand why the question is even posed. A Christian should not even speak of getting a tattoo, never mind receive one, and I'm the last person on earth, anyone who knows me, would accuse of being a legalist.

If someone has inked themselves already, I would not point my finger in their face, but if they are considering it, I would raise the strongest protest which my relationship would allow.

*There is only one verse in the Bible that is wrong. It's the tail end of 1 Timothy 1:15. Paul is not the foremost sinner. I am.

• Like 1

William
Staff
*There is only one verse in the Bible that is wrong. It's the tail end of 1 Timothy 1:15. Paul is not the foremost sinner. I am.

Just curious, do you consider yourself more knowledgeable than Paul regarding the law? I'm sure you'll agree that with increased knowledge comes increased awareness? On that basis, I won't argue with Paul, because he is more aware, his accountability or responsibility is greater. But I understand your sentiment and based on that I'd challenge you to say, I am too. ;) We are saying nothing more than we are wretched sinners in need of God's saving grace.

An alternative or possible other explanation of Paul saying "foremost" is he was the first to preach to the Gentiles. Therefore, he lead the pack of sinners. Read that somewhere I can definitely see that point.

And I have a tat, glad you feel that way thatbrian. I got mine years before my Christian conversion, and must say if I had a few thousand to remove it through lazer surgery that I would.

God bless,

William

atpollard
Any mention of sin is met with that accusation, it seems.

Could you explain the difference between v.27 and v.28?

Why is getting a tattoo a sin, because I am not being different from the world, but trimming my beard is not a sin even though I am still not being different from the world?

That is where I see the legalism entering in.

thatbrian

Just curious, do you consider yourself more knowledgeable than Paul regarding the law? I'm sure you'll agree that with increased knowledge comes increased awareness? On that basis, I won't argue with Paul, because he is more aware, his accountability or responsibility is greater. But I understand your sentiment and based on that I'd challenge you to say, I am too. ;) We are saying nothing more than we are wretched sinners in need of God's saving grace.

An alternative or possible other explanation of Paul saying "foremost" is he was the first to preach to the Gentiles. Therefore, he lead the pack of sinners. Read that somewhere I can definitely see that point.

And I have a tat, glad you feel that way thatbrian. I got mine years before my Christian conversion, and must say if I had a few thousand to remove it through lazer surgery that I would.

God bless,

William

William, I was only trying to establish that I am not better than anyone. My sin is infinitely worse than getting a tattoo; however, having said that, I can't for the life of me understand why a regenerated Christian would ever even consider it. I'm not a prude, nor 80 years old. I do however understand that something that God thought enough to mention even once, is something worth paying attention to.

• Like 2

William
Staff

Why is getting a tattoo a sin, because I am not being different from the world, but trimming my beard is not a sin even though I am still not being different from the world?

Just putting this hear for additional reading:

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

(27) Round the corners of your heads.—That is, they are not to shave off the hair around the temples and behind the ears, so as to leave the head bald except a dish-like tuft upon the crown, thus imparting to their heads the form of a hemisphere. This was done by the Arabs, and other worshippers of the god Orotal. Hence the Arabs are ironically called “those with the corner of their hair polled,” as it is rightly rendered in the Margin (Jeremiah 9:26; Jeremiah 25:23; Jeremiah 49:32).

Mar the corners of thy beard.—The beard was regarded by the Hebrews and other eastern nations as the greatest ornament of a man, and was as dear to them as life itself. It was the object of salutation (2Samuel 20:9), and the mutilation of it was looked upon as the greatest disgrace and most degrading punishment (2Samuel 10:4; Isaiah 7:20; Ezra 5:1-5, &c.). It was only in seasons of sorrow that the Hebrews neglected their beards; and sometimes, to show how deeply they were afflicted, they covered them up, or even cut them off, or tore them out (2Samuel 19:24; Isaiah 15:2; Jeremiah 41:5, &c.). Because it was so precious a treasure, it was customary among some of the ancients to present to their gods the firstlings of their beards. The prohibition before us alludes to this practice.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Round the corners of your heads - This may allude to such a custom as that of the Arabs described by Herodotus. They used to show honor to their deity Orotal by cutting the hair away from the temples in a circular form. Compare the margin reference.

Mar the corners of thy beard - It has been conjectured that this also relates to a custom which existed among the Arabs, but we are not informed that it had any idolatrous or magical association. As the same, or very similar customs, are mentioned in Leviticus 21:5, and in Deuteronomy 14:1, as well as here, it would appear that they may have been signs of mourning.

Gills Exposition:

This law does not respect priests only, but the people of Israel in general; wherefore rather it was occasioned by the Gentiles in common cutting their hair, in honour of their gods, as the Arabians did, as Herodotus in the above place relates, in imitation of Bacchus, and to the honour of him; and so with others, it was usual for young men to consecrate their hair to idols; but inasmuch as such practices were used on account of the dead, as Aben Ezra observes, it seems probable enough that these things are forbidden to be done on their account, since it follows,

Again and again, it was customary to do this by neighboring nations or the culture "mixing" with Israel. It makes sense in its context, because the markings were made for the dead. Israel is to be set apart from other nations and culture. Clearly, Israel is not to be influenced by culture.

God bless,

William

• Like 3

William
Staff

William, I was only trying to establish that I am not better than anyone. My sin is infinitely worse than getting a tattoo; however, having said that, I can't for the life of me understand why a regenerated Christian would ever even consider it. I'm not a prude, nor 80 years old. I do however understand that something that God thought enough to mention even once, is something worth paying attention to.

I share not only your sentiments but same observance and theological positions it seems!

God bless,

William

• Like 2

thatbrian

Legalism is the false idea that one can earn God's favor by adherence to His law. I'm no legalist, and nothing I've said here would be evidence of such.

• Like 2

thatbrian

I share not only your sentiments but same observance and theological positions it seems!

God bless,

William

I like when that happens. :)

It's difficult to make assertions and not be misunderstood. If we were friends, I would not only never bring up your tattoos, I would never even waste a brain cell or second of time thinking about it; however, if you asked me about it, I would let you know my thoughts.

What's troubling to me, and I think you as well, is that there seems to be no distinction in the minds of many (mostly younger) people between calling someone's behavior wrong and being hatful.

• Like 2

William
Staff

Legalism is the false idea that one can earn God's favor by adherence to His law. I'm no legalist, and nothing I've said here would be evidence of such.

And if I may add, if I were to condemn someone else based on my own standard, I would be holier than thou. I do not believe I presented myself in such way, but I am only sharing what Scripture states. I will not stand down and be silent despite me being perceived as a hypocrite because I have a tattoo. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I consider it a greater shame to say to someone that they shouldn't consider Scripture before they act against Scripture.

It is like using thatbrians analogy in another thread. He used a murderer, because I murdered someone in the past, became a new person through regeneration, should I not speak out against murder? Why are people who profess to be Christian having no issue pointing and judging another Christian but they have no problem defending worldly people? Do these people not know they are nobody's savior?

On that topic, I don't mean to blur the lines thatbrian with the other thread, but I hope you don't have wounds from the other thread for pointing out homosexuality as an equivalent towards murder. The emphasis and the impact such sin has should not be downplayed. I mean, Jesus pointed out the thought alone was as bad, and lusting was as bad as committing the act, and that act is enough that keeps someone from inheriting the kingdom of heaven. Homosexuality is the utmost form of Idolatry. Repent and believe!

Fight the good fight in faith!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

atpollard

Is hypocracy a better term?

We "cannot understand how any Christian would even consider getting a tattoo when God has so clearly said not to even once" yet we have no problem at all cutting our beards and wearing wool/linen blends "when God has so clearly said not to even once."

We seem to strain gnats over the term 'legalism' and swallow camels over selective judgement of Christians for violating pet verses from the law. It is not that I don't 'get' typology, I am just having trouble embracing selective typology.

• Like 1

thatbrian
Why are people who profess to be Christian having no issue pointing and judging another Christian but they have no problem defending worldly people?

This is what has shocked me here, and elsewhere. Christians defend every sin and sinner the wold has ever known, yet they slam Christians at every turn! There is a readiness to excuse every sin, but no willingness to extend love and compassion to some Christians who may be wounded themselves. Do they not consider that folks such as those in legalistic churches are victims themselves?

I don't mean to blur the lines thatbrian, but I hope you don't have wounds from the other thread for pointing out homosexuality as an equivalent towards murder.

I was apparently misunderstood there. I was pointing out to that poster that he/she had been very warm and fuzzy to homosexuals and people aborting children (aka murder), yet slamming Christians who objected to both things, as inconsistent. That was my point. I didn't mean to link or compare homosexuality with murder.

thatbrian

We "cannot understand how any Christian would even consider getting a tattoo when God has so clearly said not to even once" yet we have no problem at all cutting our beards and wearing wool/linen blends "when God has so clearly said not to even once."

We seem to strain gnats over the term 'legalism' and swallow camels over selective judgement of Christians for violating pet verses from the law. It is not that I don't 'get' typology, I am just having trouble embracing selective typology.

You have added to my statement. Why?

William
Staff

This is what has shocked me here, and elsewhere. Christians defend every sin and sinner the wold has ever known, yet they slam Christians at every turn! There is a readiness to excuse every sin, but no willingness to extend love and compassion to some Christians who may be wounded themselves. Do they not consider that folks such as those in legalistic churches are victims themselves?

I was apparently misunderstood there. I was pointing out to that poster that he/she had been very warm and fuzzy to homosexuals and people aborting children (aka murder), yet slamming Christians who objected to both things, as inconsistent. That was my point. I didn't mean to link or compare homosexuality with murder.

I got that part, but I received your point as emphasizing the severity of such sin if left unrepentant. I have to suggest that we are all at different stages of our Christian walk, but we should take the side of Scripture in hopes that not only ourselves are edited but others as well. Iron sharpens Iron, and I find the depth of my understanding increasing in our dialogue.

Thanks for your clarification, thatbrian, I did understand your equivocation with abortion when mentioning murder. Some here are not Christian, they do not profess to be nor claim to be. I emphasize filling out profile information in order to help others understand them.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

William
Staff

I think the great length and care taken to address the Scripture in its context is apparent.

I yield back, I have nothing more to add, nor do I believe it my duty to convict another of what Scripture clearly states.

God bless,

William

atpollard

I owe several members and the board an apology.

This is the topic I had resolved to bow out of earlier, but didn't recognize it when it appeared in my e-mail.

Right or wrong (probably wrong) I perceive the potential for condemnation of tattoos to be used to do harm to young believers and it raises very strong protective passions in me. While potentially good, they far too often fuel MY old nature.

For that I apologize.

• Like 1

William
Staff
I owe several members and the board an apology.

This is the topic I had resolved to bow out of earlier, but didn't recognize it when it appeared in my e-mail.

Right or wrong (probably wrong) I perceive the potential for condemnation of tattoos to be used to do harm to young believers and it raises very strong protective passions in me. While potentially good, they far too often fuel MY old nature.

For that I apologize.

You realize that for your same reason (perceive the potential for condemnation) early Church fathers did not commentate on John chapter 8 with the adulteress woman. Matter of fact, in many manuscripts that is missing altogether. I agree with the Church fathers in that it is narration that leads to horrible ideology. But unlike them, I believe that these things will be known through increased revelation to the Elect. Early Church fathers were concerned about that narration being taken out of context and stopping people from making righteous judgment.

I'm not pursuing lengthening the conversation, but I am suggesting that as a parent I would have an issue with a pastor not emphasizing what Scripture says, and placing an example on pleasing God according to His revealed will. Especially if my daughter looked to Church pastoral roles for guidance.

For this reason, I find some pastors not above reproach. I shared scriptures with you before Arthur, and they actually prevent me from setting my goals and sights for attending seminary, because I was divorced. Remember these verses in a previous post? I am personally convicted by these verses:

Qualifications for Elders

5 This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6 if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife,[c] and his children are believers[d] and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer,[e] as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound[f] doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

10 For there are many who are insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party.[g] 11 They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach. 12 One of the Cretans,[h] a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.”[i] 13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, 14 not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth. 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled. 16 They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

While I realize some will take the side of a divorced pastor, or even hire a single pastor for their church, I have an issue with such decisions. Just sharing with you Arthur, I share, and I believe they may convict me because of said Scripture. I am not convicting another, or suggesting that pastors are not sinners, but there are clearly qualifications and stipulations outlined in Scripture.

One thing I don't want anybody to confuse is that this isn't a church. I have my reasons above found in those Scriptures for emphasizing such.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

thatbrian
and they actually prevent me from setting my goals and sights of attending seminary, because I was divorced.

I admire that. I have disqualified myself from eldership, even though I would likely be a better elder than most. Pragmatism is not the measure I use.

• Like 1

Believer

Interesting discussion. The church I have been attending the Pastor is calling his new sermons Tattoos. It rather bothered me when it was mentioned and the flavor of the sermons. I have one I got some time ago, I don't think it is wrong, do I think they should be head to foot no. I am really intere a Ted in this from a faith perspective.

Bobby Cole

Though I have no tattoos I have other grave sins that are far more grievous than that of a marking on my skin. If all my sins combined were to be represented by a single tattoo and my mind be clean and remembered none, I might indeed consider the choice. But, that choice has not been given.

For now, I can only rejoice for the sins I have committed are forgiven and remembered no more by the Father because He allowed his one and only Son to be sacrificed that I might be saved. Now forgiven, how much more a sin and a personal memory would it be to take that sacrifice and intentionally sin anew, taking God's forgiving grace in vain?

In other words, if ya already got one don't worry about it. If you are saved and want to get one, ..........worry.

Believer

I did research via the net and the views are wide and many. So let's take it a fur t her step, according to old testament Lav. It's wrong, no question, so here is the issue what about a church Pastor who has them, and promotes them. I really would like input.

• Like 1

Bobby Cole
I did research via the net and the views are wide and many. So let's take it a fur t her step, according to old testament Lav. It's wrong, no question, so here is the issue what about a church Pastor who has them, and promotes them. I really would like input.

I have always been a teacher/preacher who loves to teach others in the simplest but most meaningful ways. To do so, I break things down to their lowest common denominator in order to make scripture a little less intimidating. For that reason there are times when a simple, personal interjection is appropriate and I believe that this is one of those times.

I believe that particular pastor to be "stuck on stupid" and possesses "some stinkin' thinkin' " in that he is attempting to give credibility to his own fleshly short comings.

I might ask you, "In Biblical terms, what happens when we deny the flesh"? Perhaps that is the question that needs to answered in this study of Christ like living.