The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
LeapOfFaith89

Defeat or Victory?

Each year on June 18 the great Battle of Waterloo is recalled in what is now Belgium. On that day in 1815, Napoleon's French army was defeated by a multinational force command by the Duke of Wellington. Since then, the phrase "to meet your Waterloo" has come to mean "to be defeated by someone who is too strong for you or by a problem that is too difficult for you."

When it comes to our spiritual lives, some people feel that ultimate failure is inevitable and it's only a matter of time until each of us will "meet our Waterloo." But John refuted that pessimistic view when he wrote to followers of Jesus: "Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world , even our faith" (1 John 5:4).

Jahn weaves this theme of spiritual victory throughout his first letter as he urges us not to love the things this world offers, which will soon fade away (1 John 2: 15-17). Instead , we are to love and please God, "And this is what he promised us-eternal life" (1 John 2:25).

While we may have ups and downs in life, and even some battles that feel like defeats, the ultimate victory is ours in Christ as we trust in HIs power.

-David McCasland

Well I have to say that that was sorely needed for me, and it was the perfect pick me up for what has been an otherwise pretty difficult day, so thank you for that @LeapOfFaith89 - I needed that one. I definitely think that it is easy to get wrapped up in a feeling of defeat like you mentioned above, but that line from John is a perfect remedy for that. I am going to write that down and place it somewhere where I can see that every day. Thanks again.