The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
LeapOfFaith89

Some Assembly Required

Around our home, the words "some assembly required " have been the guise of great frustration (Mine) and great humor (my family). When my wife and I first married, I attempt to make simple home repairs=with disastrous results. A repaired shower handle worked perfectly-if the plan was for the water to run between the walls. My fiascoes continued after we had children, when I assured my wife, Cheryl, I "don't need instructions" to put these "simple" toys together. Wrong!

Gradually, I learned my lesson and began to pay strict attention to the instructions and things wen together as they should. Unfortunately, the longer things went well, the more confident I became, and soon I was agin ignoring instructions with predictably disastrous results.

The ancient Israelites struggled with a similar tendency: they would forget God, Ignoring His instructions to avoid following after Baal and the other gods of the region (Judges 2:12). This produced disastrous results, until God, in His mercy, raised up judges to rescue them and bring them back to Himself (2:18).

God has reasons for all the instructions He's given us to keep our affections on HIm. Only by a daily awareness of His loving presence can we resist the temptation to "construct" our lives our own way. What great gifts He has given us in His Word and His presence!

-Randy Kilgore