The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

16 minutes ago, Becky said:

Luk 23:44  And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. 
Luk 23:45  And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. 
Luk 23:46  And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. 

I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest the crucifixion is the event discussed in Matthew 24. How do you come to this conclusion? It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the items that must come to pass before such an event.

On 5/8/2016 at 10:51 AM, theophilus said:

Preterism is the belief that the prophecies of the future were fulfilled during the lifetimes of the apostles; futurism is the belief that the fulfillment of prophecy is still in the future. Have you ever considered the possibility that both views are true? The well known prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 that a virgin would conceive and bear a child is quoted in the Bible as referring to the birth of Christ, but have you ever looked at the context in which it was made?

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. He shall eat curds and honey when he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good. For before the boy knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land whose two kings you dread will be deserted.

It was also a sign to King Ahaz that the enemies he feared would soon be destroyed. It had two fulfillments, one near and one far in the future. Perhaps the same thing is true of other Bible prophecies. It could be that preterism and futurism are not two different ways of interpreting prophecy but two parts of the total interpretation. Here is a more detailed explanation of what I mean:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/the-whole-truth/

I believe both are true as well.

Staff

Didn't that happen soon after the conversation between the Disciples and Jesus ? I am not saying this is so i just realized it and posted. 

Staff

Gen 37:9  And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. 

1 hour ago, Becky said:

Didn't that happen soon after the conversation between the Disciples and Jesus ? I am not saying this is so i just realized it and posted. 

Yes, it did.