The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

The Biblical Basis for Infant Baptism

Staff
2 hours ago, Faber said:

The conversion of Cornelius and his household, along with all the other passages I cited went unchallenged. Calvin's hope so later conversion theory is taking wishful thinking to the extreme.

I just don't have it in me to take the time anymore and try to present a tailored made argument to each individual. If one does not want to understand the long held before doctrines that is their loss. 

Your opinion is noted.

Okay.

If anyone else is willing to address my comments and the passages I cited I would be interested in seeing it.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:43 AM, William said:

Pelagian,

What in Matthew 18:2-3 makes you think innocence is an attribute of a child in which Jesus prescribes to adults?

As far as what His disciples may of been lacking look no further than here towards the lack of humility and teachableness.

Please don’t assign false names to me.

Im not Pelagian.

Do little children know good from evil?

JLB 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:13 AM, davidtaylorjr said:

Notice this is a comparison.

Yes, I noticed. 

Jesus is making a comparison between little children and the attitude of His disciples, that were competing to be the greatest in the kingdom. 

F

On 10/15/2019 at 6:13 AM, davidtaylorjr said:

Scripture is clear that ALL are lost.

Ok. Please show us the scripture you are referring to. 

F

Staff
12 hours ago, Faber said:

The household baptism of Cornelius

Acts 11:14

and he shall speak words to you by which you will be saved, you and all your household. (NASB, the underlined is mine)

All those of the household who had believed in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 15:7; cf. 11:17) were water baptized (Acts 10:48). It requires belief to be water baptized. Infants cannot believe in the Lord Jesus Christ so therefore they should not be water baptized.

If one still insists that infants were included here then that would also mean that these infants "received the Holy Spirit" (Acts 10:47) before their water baptism without demonstrating any belief (cf. Ephesians 1:13).

Act 11:14  Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. 
Act 11:15  And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 
Act 11:16  Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 
Act 11:17  Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? 

Act 15:7  And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 
Act 10:47  Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 

Eph 1:13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 

Pro 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. 

The way i read what you posted i do not come to the same conclusion as you do.  The passage is speaking of 2 baptisms.  I read your  post as lumping them together.  A Scripture search  of children's children show us God does not place a wedge between fathers and children. i do not read the children are excluded, The kids fled Egypt they cross the Red Sea they lived under the cloud by day, and the fire by night. The kids were nourished by Manna,  they were not excluded.  By their fathers they were covered by the Blood of the lamb at Passover .

Exo 12:3  Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: 
Lev 23:42  Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths: 
Lev 23:43  That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God. 

Act 16:15  And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us. 

1Co 1:16  And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 

1Co 10:1  Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 
1Co 10:2  And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 
1Co 10:3  And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 
1Co 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. 

I am sure @Faber your scripture expertise far surpasses mine. 🙂  There are different understandings of Scripture i dont believe a difference on this is separating goats and sheep . Some day we will have full knowledge. I do not read an exclusion of children in Scripture but i see and inclusion.  Where in Acts the Scriptures speak of baptism of the Holy Spirit is  different then the river side .. Thanks for giving me an interesting topic to study .

• Like 1

Staff
2 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

Please don’t assign false names to me.

Im not Pelagian.

Do little children know good from evil?

JLB 

Is sin relative to a person's individual awareness? 

Are you or are you not making the case that children not knowing good from evil are free from sin? Do children have a sin nature?

7 hours ago, William said:

Is sin relative to a person's individual awareness? 

Are you or are you not making the case that children not knowing good from evil are free from sin? Do children have a sin nature?

Please quote the scripture where Jesus says little children are sinners. 

F

Staff

Psa_58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Becky said:

Psa_58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. 

And what does it say of the righteous from the womb?

Maybe you could read the parable of the wheat and tares to gain some understanding about the devils seed, and the Lord’s.

“Consecrate to Me all the firstborn, whatever opens the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and beast; it is Mine.” Exodus  13:2

By You I have been upheld from birth;
You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb.
My praise shall be continually of You. Psalm 71:6

Thus says the Lord who made you
And formed you from the womb, who will help you:
‘Fear not, O Jacob My servant;
And you, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen. 

Isaiah 44:2

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”

Jeremiah 1:5

Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 18:2-3

“Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven. Matthew 18:10

F

Staff
4 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

Maybe you could read the parable of the wheat and tares to gain some understanding about the devils seed, and the Lord’s.

Your complaint should not be at me but at the author of the Scripture . All i did was give you what you asked for. 

• Like 1

Staff
6 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

no no no GIF by Chaz French

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

Please quote the scripture where Jesus says little children are sinners. 

F

Not necessarily Jesus, but Romans 3:23 makes this quite clear.  It does not say, "...for all except infants...", it says, "...for all have sinned..."

That includes everyone.  You, me, the newborn, the old person, everyone.

• Like 3

Staff
13 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Not necessarily Jesus, but Romans 3:23 makes this quite clear.  It does not say, "...for all except infants...", it says, "...for all have sinned..."

That includes everyone.  You, me, the newborn, the old person, everyone.

That makes it more difficult for those that search the scriptures through Google to see whether these things are so.