The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Finding-Faith

Hello from Wisconsin

Hello everyone, my name is Danielle. I saw this forum listed somewhere else and knew I had to join it. I've been a Baptist my whole life, with different chapters being stronger than others. I've fallen from grace several times in my life and picked it back up once or twice. I'm currently in the same state of mind that I have been for about two years now, where I believe I was wronged by God and we're no longer close because of it. However, I still have strong moral and Baptist beliefs that I follow. Hopefully this place will give me a sense of strength, guidance, and understanding. :)

Staff

Hello Finding-Faith,

Welcome to the forum!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Staff

Hello Finding-Faith

Hi Finding Faith. I am glad you found this forum. I think it might be an interesting place for you to connect with other Christians. and interested participants. It is always nice to have new members, and I hopefully you

can get some great ideas and fellowship here.

That is a rather interesting comment, considering when it comes to us humans God doesn't owe us anything. That is the assumption we have to start with when we think God somehow sinned against us. We don't impose rules on God, God is the one that makes the rules, and we must follow them. Of course that is the great thing about the covenant of grace is that we are saved regardless of whether or not we are able to follow all of His rules.

@Knotical He says he'll be there for us in our times of need and if we believe in him then he won't abandon us, so when he's not there for us and he does abandon us then what does that make him?

You are assuming that He did abandon you, but it is the trying times that should draw us even closer to Him. Have you heard of the footprints poem? God will put us through trials from time to time to test us. Not because He doesn't know how you will handle it, but to teach us that we should always be focused on Him. He will not always reveal His plans to us, and just because we keep praying for a specific outcome does not mean that is what He has in store. That is really where are assumptions get us into trouble. We are so focused on the outcome that we want when He has something even better in mind. And will then use the tools He developed in us during those trials to help others later on.

• Like 2

@Knotical He says he'll be there for us in our times of need and if we believe in him then he won't abandon us, so when he's not there for us and he does abandon us then what does that make him?

Job thought God wasn't there for him and had abandoned him but all the time God was working on Job to help him know God better.

Joseph probably thought God had abandoned him when he was sold into slavery by his brothers and when when he was imprisoned because of the false accusations of Potiphar's wife, but all the time God was placing him in a position where he would have the opportunity to interpret Pharaoh's dream and save the people of Egypt and his own family from starvation.

@Knotical I know very well about the tests he puts us through, but when you cry and beg him every night for months for help and he does nothing then it's understandable to feel abandoned. I would feel the same way if I asked a friend or family member for help and they did nothing, and most other people would too. Maybe helping me didn't fall into his plans, but it hurt me nonetheless. If you love someone, you're supposed to help them and respect them, not ignore them when they come to you for help.

I will not presume to know exactly what it is you are going through, but remember don't be so focused on a specific outcome to the point you miss a greater blessing He has in store for you. Also, He does not answer our prayers in our time, but His.

• Like 1

@Knotical I understand that, and I've also already realized that by him not helping me he was helping someone else. I know it's confusing because you don't know the situation, but I know he had good intentions. However, my feelings have faltered over it nonetheless and I've been trying to find my way back to him. I still have faith and believe in him, I just don't feel as close to him as I used to.