The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

All 613 Laws of the Old Testament

17 hours ago, William said:

God loved us when we were unrepentant and unbelieving enemies:

The Old Testament does not have the law/commandment that says, "You shall love your enemy".

In the 4 Gospels of the NT, most of the Jews and Pharisees rejected Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah/Christ and eventually "murdered" Him, but they still had "false" confidence that they would be saved from hell or inherit heaven by just keeping the Law or Moses Law, ie they thought they did not need Jesus Christ to be saved from hell.

At MATTHEW.5:17-48, Jesus Christ was telling the unbelieving Jews and Pharisees that they would have to pluck out their eyes and chop off their limbs, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, lend to all who ask and love their enemies if they hoped to be saved from hell by their own works of the Law, ie it was not sufficient for salvation that they did not commit murder, adultery, blasphemy, stealing, etc.

....... Why.? = because all humans are born with Adam's Original Sin(ROMANS.5:12 & 3:23) = are born inherently evil/sinful/satanic in their hearts and minds = all are bound for hell when they die = fallen Man needs a Saviour/Christ/Messiah.

....... For those men without Christ, just the lusting at a beautiful woman/girl in their hearts will be sending them to hell when they die, ie not just by them actually committing adultery or other sexual sins. Vice versa for those women without Christ when they just lust at a handsome man/boy in their hearts or when a woman/girl becomes jealous of other women's relationship with their husbands/bf's.

51 minutes ago, William said:

You should convert to Judasim instead of masquerading around as a Chtistian. There, this post took a whole ten seconds, an equal amount of time with respect to the time you took to address my response. 

Please don't jump to conclusions or be impatient wrt my replies.

I do wish that I had been born into Judaism as a Jew and then became a Jewish Christian, like Jesus Christ and the 12 apostles. Alas, I am just a lacking Gentile Christian.

Edited by discipler77

Hi everyone,

This discussion is interesting, but I have to admit, a lot of this discussion is over my head, but this comment did stand out to me.

On 5/11/2015 at 6:02 AM, Bede said:

Jesus taught from the moral law.

So my question is, are the things that Jesus taught in the 4 gospels important for Christians to follow today?

Also, I do remember Jesus saying, "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached..." Luke 16:16

In Christian love,

Trevor

Edited by Trevor

Staff

Yes the Words of Jesus are important for us to follow.  Were most of us get mixed up is i how we understand His Words. 

Hi Becky,

I thought it was ironic you mentioned how

22 hours ago, Becky said:

most of us get mixed up is i how we understand His Words.

and the same thing was mentioned in a Bible study I was in this morning.

Someone asked the group to pray for them to get discernment about a particular situation they are going through. While we were praying the guy said he thought of an image of a plate of full of food. He said he wanted to eat everything on that plate except for one thing, but it was that very thing he felt God wanted him to eat. After he shared the image, someone else commented, that it made them think about what Jesus said in John 14:26 (i.e. "the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and remind you of everything I said"). I thought that was ironic because it made me also think of a verse in Luke 11, where Jesus said, "...how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" which is in verse 13. So, it seems that Jesus is saying that it is the Holy Spirit's job to help us with understanding His words, if we are sincerely asking : ).

I just thought I would share because the guys I was with in the Bible study this morning were discussing discernment too.

In peace and Christian love,

Trevor

• Like 1