The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

Pray for the Supreme Court

There is a vacancy on the US Supreme Court. The fact that abortion and same sex marriage are now legal in the United States is the result of decisions by this court, so naturally anyone who has strong views on these subjects is concerned about who will be chosen to fill the vacancy.

Christians should do what we can to make sure the next member of the Supreme Court holds views on these and other issues that are compatible with what the Bible teaches but we have another tool for influencing the court that others do not. We can and should pray that God will move the court to make the right decisions in the cases that come before it.

The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.

Proverbs 21:1 ESV

If God can control the hearts of kings he can certainly control the hearts of Supreme Court justices.

We are commanded to pray for those in authority over us. I have often prayed for the President and for Congress and I sometimes added a prayer that the Supreme Court would make wise decisions. I now realize that I was neglecting the court in my prayers. We need to pray that each member of the court will hear and believe the gospel and that his decisions will reflect his faith in Christ. Here are the names of the current members of the court.

John G. Roberts, Jr.

Anthony M. Kennedy

Clarence Thomas

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Stephen G. Breyer

Samuel Anthony Alito, Jr.

Sonia Sotomayor

Elena Kagan

Biographies of Current Justices of the Supreme Court

If we pray regularly for these people, and for the new member of the court when he is selected, I think we will see favorable changes in the government regardless of who is elected President. The world tries to influence our government by voting, supporting legislation, and filing lawsuits. Christians should vote and support legislation that promotes Biblical standards. We should sometimes file lawsuits when the government infringes on our rights. But none of these will bring about lasting change unless we also pray.

Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.

Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.

Psalm 127:1 ESV

There is a vacancy on the US Supreme Court. The fact that abortion and same sex marriage are now legal in the United States is the result of decisions by this court, so naturally anyone who has strong views on these subjects is concerned about who will be chosen to fill the vacancy.

Christians should do what we can to make sure the next member of the Supreme Court holds views on these and other issues that are compatible with what the Bible teaches but we have another tool for influencing the court that others do not. We can and should pray that God will move the court to make the right decisions in the cases that come before it.

The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.

Proverbs 21:1 ESV

If God can control the hearts of kings he can certainly control the hearts of Supreme Court justices.

We are commanded to pray for those in authority over us. I have often prayed for the President and for Congress and I sometimes added a prayer that the Supreme Court would make wise decisions. I now realize that I was neglecting the court in my prayers. We need to pray that each member of the court will hear and believe the gospel and that his decisions will reflect his faith in Christ. Here are the names of the current members of the court.

John G. Roberts, Jr.

Anthony M. Kennedy

Clarence Thomas

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Stephen G. Breyer

Samuel Anthony Alito, Jr.

Sonia Sotomayor

Elena Kagan

Biographies of Current Justices of the Supreme Court

If we pray regularly for these people, and for the new member of the court when he is selected, I think we will see favorable changes in the government regardless of who is elected President. The world tries to influence our government by voting, supporting legislation, and filing lawsuits. Christians should vote and support legislation that promotes Biblical standards. We should sometimes file lawsuits when the government infringes on our rights. But none of these will bring about lasting change unless we also pray.

Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.

Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.

Psalm 127:1 ESV

Thank goodness same-sex marriage is legal.

Thank God it is, thank God that they have stopped receiving undeserved discrimination.

Anyway, praying for the court would be a good idea, yes.

Praying that they are much more strict and harsh on the very things that people have rightfully deserved, is another.

Staff
Thank goodness same-sex marriage is legal.

Thank God it is, thank God that they have stopped receiving undeserved discrimination.

Have you ever read a Bible?
  • Like 2

Indeed I have, I debated on the homosexuality thread for a while, I think I got my point across. It didn't condemn same-sex marriage, or homosexuality, it condemned homosexual sex, but even then, who are we to say that is still relevant? And who are we to say it wasn't specifically just pointed at those of sodom and Gomorrah? We don't know.

And since we don't know, we can make an educated guess, and treat our neighbors as ourself, I.e. Equal rights.

Staff
Indeed I have, I debated on the homosexuality thread for a while, I think I got my point across. It didn't condemn same-sex marriage, or homosexuality, it condemned homosexual sex, but even then, who are we to say that is still relevant? And who are we to say it wasn't specifically just pointed at those of sodom and Gomorrah? We don't know.

And since we don't know, we can make an educated guess, and treat our neighbors as ourself, I.e. Equal rights.

Because homosexuality is condemned in the N.T. more than once.

Because homosexuality is condemned in the N.T. more than once.

Show me a quote from the bible in which it states "You cannot be homosexual"

It's not a choice, therefore it cannot be sinful.

There are some if's & and's about that, but I digress.

Now, say homosexuality was completely condemned by the bible, and someone didn't have the choice to be homosexual or not, it cannot be sinful because they're not trying to be sinful, God looks at the heart.

If someone purposely wanted to do that for whatever crazy reason, just to be sinful, and they knew it was a sin and it wasn't choice, that's another matter.

But I digress.

Staff
Show me a quote from the bible in which it states "You cannot be homosexual"
I though you said you read the Bible.

"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error." (Rom. 1:26-27)

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

"Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine." (1 Timothy 1:8-10)

It's not a choice, therefore it cannot be sinful.
All sinners say the same thing. It is not my fault. Edited by Origen
  • Like 2

Staff
All sinners say the same thing. It is not my fault.

A familiar echo from out of the Garden of Eden.

Staff
A familiar echo from out of the Garden of Eden.
So true.

Forget the Bible, anyone who supports SSM isn't even a good person by any measure. Sotomayor summed it up when she asked how can the government function if it can't be tyrannical. Or, words to that effect. Yes, they cover their support of perversion and tyranny with euphemisms like "equal rights" and maybe even declarations that they don't personally approve of that which they want the government to shove down our throats , but evil by any other name is still evil and still stinks of passing wind. Anyway, don't mind me, or the antichrists on the Supreme Court, there are Muslims to be chasing, even if they have no political power here.

• Like 1