The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
motirattan

Was Jesus Son of Man or Son of God or both? How can it be?

Staff
Please tell me was Jesus son of man or son of god or both?How?

Hello motirattan,

Please read Daniel 7, the entire chapter, but more to your question Daniel 7:13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a] coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence."

Also notice that in Daniel 7 each of the Empires could only be described or represented by beasts, be it a lion, bear, leopard, etc. But there will come one like a "Son of Man". That is, in all humanity, a man will originate from out of Heaven. Only God has been depicted in previous OT verses as coming on the clouds, this Son of Man will originate in heaven by a divine initiative.

To answer "how", I'll direct you to the theological term called the Hypostatic Union:

Hypostatic means personal. The hypostatic union is the personal union of Jesus’ two natures.

Jesus has two complete natures—one fully human and one fully divine. What the doctrine of the hypostatic union teaches is that these two natures are united in one person in the God-man. Jesus is not two persons. He is one person. The hypostatic union is the joining of the divine and the human in the one person of Jesus.

“In him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.”- Colossians 2:9

Son of God = Jesus Divinity

Son of Man = Jesus Humanity

Ultimately Jesus' two natures are united in such way that what is said of the divine nature or of the human nature may be affirmed of the person Jesus Christ.

God bless,

William

Staff
One more question, was Jesus God, Son of God or both? I couldn't understand John 1:1. Please reply me?
Yes.

One more question, was Jesus God, Son of God or both? I couldn't understand John 1:1. Please reply me?

He was both. He was Son of God even before his incarnation but he was also God, with the same level of authority and power as the Father.

Staff

What amazes me is the simultaneous nature of our Triune God. I mean, I can't focus on more than one thing at a time. Through the incarnation, God was able to sustain the entire universe and Himself simultaneously. Another words, the universe didn't cease to exists when the Word incarnated. He was unrestricted and restricted simultaneously. For example, God is omnipresent - unrestricted by time and space and simultaneously restricted by time and space. This is just boggling to my finite mind.

I'm a little rusty with my Bible knowledge, but I think I can throw my answer out there. If I recall correctly from my theology classes growing up, Son of God refers to Jesus doing miracles and curing the ill, as well as his title after the resurrection, while Son of Man is the term they used for Jesus when he was being one with the people, and doing humane things like eating with the poor and spreading good will to men. So technically, he is both and separate at the same time, as it depended on the nature of the situation, whether or not he was acting as a mouthpiece of God or just walking the Earth as a regular person and just spreading the good news through Gospel and mingling with people all over. Again, I'm a bit rusty, but I think that was the gist of the lessons I learned growing up.

Is Jesus the Son of Man or the Son of God? Before the beginning of time and through eternity Jesus always will be the Son of God. How can He then also be the Son of man? Simple. Jesus is God's Gift to humans, "unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder." Mary was His mother. So through Mary, who is a daughter of Adam, Jesus is the Son of man.

• Like 1

GINOLJC to all, the Lord Jesus is God, "shared" in flesh as the diversity, or offspring of himself. the Lord Jesus have one Nature, and he "took part", or put on another nature, (flesh and blood), so that he may manifest himself in this world, hence John 1:1-14. this is proved out in Philippians 2:6 as to his nature, and Philippians 2:7 the nature he took on. son of man is from above, heaven, (spirit), and the son of God, the flesh, that he took on is out of Mary. one can find theses scriptures respectively, Son of man, John 3:13, and son of God, Luke 1:35. son of man is not born, but given, (Isaiah 9:6), but the son of God is.

May God bless.