The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
idkutellme l

My Security Software Suggestions (PC/Browser/pfSense Router)

idkutellme l

Quick note: I was going to post this in Antus67's security software topic, but I thought I'd just start my own since I'd also like to include browser and router software for security, in addition to PC. I also don't use windows, so this is a little bit off topic to his original post.

Feel free to post any questions or comments, thanks.

PC:

For my PC I use Linux Mint + discretion. Most malware is target at windows PCs, so not using windows is a good start (; . Below I'll list a couple Linux distros, an article link to the best Linux distros of 2019, and an article link to why Linux is more secure than windows.

1. Qubes OS: Use Qubes OS if you want an OS focused on security (for advanced users only).

- "Qubes OS is a security-focused desktop operating system that aims to provide security through isolation. Virtualization is performed by Xen, and user environments can be based on Fedora, Debian, Whonix, and Microsoft Windows, among other operating systems."

2. Ubuntu: Use Ubuntu if you’d like a novice-friendly Linux distro.

- “Ubuntu comes with everything you need to run your organization, school, home or enterprise. All the essential applications, like an office suite, browsers, email and media apps come pre-installed and thousands more games and applications are available in the Ubuntu Software Centre.”

spacer.png

Best Linux distros of 2019: for beginners and advanced users:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-linux-distros

Why Linux Is More Secure Than Windows:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/202452/why_linux_is_more_secure_than_windows.html

Browser:

As for my browser (Firefox) I use the extensions listed below. At that very least, I’d suggest using HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin. I believe all of these extensions are also available for Chrome.

1. HTTPS Everywhere: "HTTPS Everywhere is a Firefox extension to protect your communications by enabling HTTPS encryption automatically on sites that are known to support it, even when you type URLs or follow links that omit the https: prefix."

2. uMatrix: "Point & click to forbid/allow any class of requests made by your browser. Use it to block scripts, iframes, ads, facebook, etc."

3. User-Agent Switcher and Manager: "Spoofs User-Agent strings of your browser with a new one globally, randomly or per hostname"

4. uBlock Origin: "An efficient blocker: easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands more filters than other popular blockers out there."

Router/Firewall:

I'm guessing most users here don't have pfSense, but in case you're interested, here it is. On top of my pfsense (home built router) I use the additional software Snort + pfBlockerNG.

- What is pfSense?: "pfSense is an open source firewall/router computer software distribution based on FreeBSD."

- Snort: "Snort is a free and open source network intrusion prevention system and network intrusion detection system..."

- pfBlockerNG: "pfBlockerNG provides pfSense with the ability for the firewall to make allow/deny decisions based items such as the geolocation of an IP address, the domain name of a resource, or the Alexa ratings of particular websites.

The ability to restrict on items such as domain names is very advantageous as it allows administrators to thwart attempts of internal machines attempting to connect out to known bad domains ( in other words, domains that may be known to have malware, illegal content, or other insidious pieces of data)."

Edited by idkutellme l
  • Informative 1