The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
theophilus

Do animals go to Heaven when they die?

theophilus

When a human dies his death does not mean that he ceases to exist.  The physical body dies but the immaterial part will exist forever, either in Heaven or in Hell.  But what happens when an animal dies?  Is that the end of its existence or does some part of it live on?

The most common belief is that humans continue to exist after death because they have souls and animals don’t.  There are two things wrong with this belief.

The first error is the belief that only humans have souls.  Here is what Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary says:

Nepes  in the Old Testament is never the “immortal soul” but simply the life principle or living being. Such is observable in Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, where the qualified (living) nepes  refers to animals and is rendered “living creatures.” The same Hebrew term is then applied to the creation of humankind in Genesis 2:7, where dust is vitalized by the breath of God and becomes a “living being.” Thus, human being shares soul with the animals. It is the breath of God that makes the lifeless dust a “living being” — person.

The second mistake is believing that it is because we have souls that we continue to exist after death.  This teaching is not found in the Bible.

Genesis 1 tells how animals and humans were created and shows how they are different.  On the fifth day he created flying creatures and all life forms that live in water.  On the sixth day he created land animals.  After he had finished creating animal life he made the first man.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 

Genesis 1:26 ESV

The difference between humans and animals is that we are made in God’s image and they are not.

There was no death in God’s original creation.  All animals were vegetarians.

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 

Genesis 1:29,30 ESV

Genesis 3 tells how Adam sinned and brought death into the world, not only for humans but for all animal life.  Because of this animals suffer and die through no fault of their own.  Many believe that fairness requires that the experience an afterlife to make up for the suffering in this life.  That is certainly true of Christians.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 

2 Corinthians 4:17,18 ESV

I agree with this belief that there must be an afterlife for animals but that is only my opinion and it is not specifically taught in the Bible.  There is one thing we can know for sure.  Animals cannot sin because God has not given them a knowledge of right and wrong so they will not be punished after they die.  We don’t know whether they will be in Heaven but we can be certain that none of them will go to Hell.

William
Staff
45 minutes ago, theophilus said:

When a human dies his death does not mean that he ceases to exist.  The physical body dies but the immaterial part will exist forever, either in Heaven or in Hell.  But what happens when an animal dies?  Is that the end of its existence or does some part of it live on?

The most common belief is that humans continue to exist after death because they have souls and animals don’t.  There are two things wrong with this belief.

The first error is the belief that only humans have souls.  Here is what Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary says:

Nepes  in the Old Testament is never the “immortal soul” but simply the life principle or living being. Such is observable in Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, where the qualified (living) nepes  refers to animals and is rendered “living creatures.” The same Hebrew term is then applied to the creation of humankind in Genesis 2:7, where dust is vitalized by the breath of God and becomes a “living being.” Thus, human being shares soul with the animals. It is the breath of God that makes the lifeless dust a “living being” — person.

The second mistake is believing that it is because we have souls that we continue to exist after death.  This teaching is not found in the Bible.

Genesis 1 tells how animals and humans were created and shows how they are different.  On the fifth day he created flying creatures and all life forms that live in water.  On the sixth day he created land animals.  After he had finished creating animal life he made the first man.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 

Genesis 1:26 ESV

The difference between humans and animals is that we are made in God’s image and they are not.

There was no death in God’s original creation.  All animals were vegetarians.

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 

Genesis 1:29,30 ESV

Genesis 3 tells how Adam sinned and brought death into the world, not only for humans but for all animal life.  Because of this animals suffer and die through no fault of their own.  Many believe that fairness requires that the experience an afterlife to make up for the suffering in this life.  That is certainly true of Christians.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 

2 Corinthians 4:17,18 ESV

I agree with this belief that there must be an afterlife for animals but that is only my opinion and it is not specifically taught in the Bible.  There is one thing we can know for sure.  Animals cannot sin because God has not given them a knowledge of right and wrong so they will not be punished after they die.  We don’t know whether they will be in Heaven but we can be certain that none of them will go to Hell.

Given your literalistic principles and methods of interpretation in Revelation, Theo, brother. I can't understand how you can deny there are animals in heaven. 

E Morales

Do Our Pets and Animals go to Heaven?

This is a question which is asked more frequently as people today seem to be treating their beasts more like humans, and humans more like beasts. Everyone can understand that when a beloved animal dies it is a natural reaction to feel some sorrow and anguish because of the loss. But we must not confuse emotion and human feelings, with biblical principles.

On this earth, we know only in part, and so we often neglect to address the question in light of the Bible, and fail to comprehend that all living things in this world (besides man), are temporal. That includes organisms, insects, plants, reptiles, and animals. These things are a part of God’s magnificent creation, but they do not have an immortal soul. It is only the spirits of men which are immortal spirits.

Emotionalism notwithstanding, the spirits of men are the only spirits which partake in the resurrection to life after death. Many professing Christians judge truth by what ‘seems’ right for God to do (in their own eyes), even forging such bonds between themselves and their beasts that they cannot even fathom a heaven which would not include their beloved animals.

To hear them speak, it is almost as if they will look upon God as unrighteous if He won’t save their pet animals. It’s just part and parcel of the same arrogant ‘me mentality’ which is sweeping over most of our Churches today, and degrading the historical Church. The rebellious attitude that life is all about how I feel, or about what I want, or about how I see things. Man’s spiritual eyes should never be focused on his pets (indeed, upon himself) where he loves the creation more than the creator. His eyes should be squarely on the great Shepherd, and the commission we have been given to feed His Sheep. That should be our hope, and that is what is lacking in our Churches today.

The thought of spending eternity along with our beloved pets may be a temporal comfort as we are in the flesh, but we are losing sight of where our real joy and comfort should come from. It doesn’t come from me and my relationship to my pet in heaven, or even my loved ones in heaven, but my relationship with Christ.

I love pets” But I am sorry all dogs do not go to Heaven.

Enjoy them while you can…. When they die, it is alright to cry, for you lost a good friend.  🐕

If all animals or pet went to heaven? I should of been a sea turtle instead.

sea turtle smiling GIF by Wheel of Fortune

theophilus
18 hours ago, William said:

Given your literalistic principles and methods of interpretation in Revelation, Theo, brother. I can't understand how you can deny there are animals in heaven. 

I don't deny that there will be animals in Heaven.  The question is whether any of these animals will have once lived on earth.

18 hours ago, E Morales said:

On this earth, we know only in part,

And one of the things we don't know, because God hasn't revealed it to us, is what happens to animals when their bodies dies.

E Morales

I believe animals will just turn into dust, like I said, it would be better to be born an animal instead of a human, if they all go to heaven. Not all humans goes to heaven. 

theophilus
4 hours ago, E Morales said:

I believe animals will just turn into dust, like I said, it would be better to be born an animal instead of a human, if they all go to heaven. Not all humans goes to heaven. 

Our bodies will turn to dust too.  It would be better to be born an animal than a human who is destined for Hell.