The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
E Morales

Killers can be Saved, why?

E Morales

For by the Grace of God, we shall be Saved. Those that believe in the only begotten son.
  Matthew 10:22   And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. 

Matthew 24:13   But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 

Mark 13:13   And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 

Mark 16:16   He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 

John 10:9   I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 

Acts 2:21   And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. 

Acts 11:14   Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. 

Acts 15:11   But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. 

Romans 5:9   Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be savedfrom wrath through him. 

Romans 5:10   For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 

Romans 9:27   Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 

Romans 10:13   For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 

Romans 11:26   And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 

1 Corinthians 3:15   If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 

1 Timothy 2:15   Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Knotical

There are people in history that were unsaveable (Eli's sons are just two examples).  It really comes down to whether or not someone has committed The unpardonable (unforgivable) sin, that being blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So, with that said, there are going to be people in this world that God never intended to save, and those that He does.  Yes this smacks of predestination, but that is what the bible teaches.

• Like 1

Solas
On 11/5/2019 at 6:27 AM, Knotical said:

There are people in history that were unsaveable (Eli's sons are just two examples).  It really comes down to whether or not someone has committed The unpardonable (unforgivable) sin, that being blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So, with that said, there are going to be people in this world that God never intended to save, and those that He does.  Yes this smacks of predestination, but that is what the bible teaches.

Were Eli's sons always unsavable or did they reach a point of unsavability? 

Are the non elect always unsavable or do they reach a point of unsavability? 

• Like 1

Faber
34 minutes ago, Solas said:

I think since the non-elect will never be saved then by definition they are unsavable.

I don't think there is a point they reach in which they are unsaveable since they were non-elect from the get-go.

• Like 1

Solas
18 minutes ago, Faber said:

I think since the non-elect will never be saved then by definition they are unsavable.

I don't think there is a point they reach in which they are unsaveable since they were non-elect from the get-go.

Unless their election is dependent on their inclusion into Christ which is based on...?

Ephesians 1:3-6 NKJV
[3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, [4] just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, [5] having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, [6] to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

Knotical
9 hours ago, Solas said:

Were Eli's sons always unsavable or did they reach a point of unsavability? 

Do you believe in election?  It is arguable that they were never going to be saved.  God puts people in this world for a myriad of different reasons.  Some are clearly meant as a cautionary tale.

Of course there is the school of thought that suggests that because Eli did not properly discipline his children it led them to become so reprobate they were beyond saving.  At the crux of this debate is the idea of free will.  Do we truly have the ability to choose to follow God, or is that predetermined before we are even born?

I am not going to give you the answer, as that is something you must come to through Holy Spirit guided study.

E Morales

@Knotical 

You said,

I am not going to give you the answer, as that is something you must come to through Holy Spirit guided study.   Can you sell me this power, for I’ll pay you well?   😇

Knotical
1 minute ago, E Morales said:

@Knotical 

You said,

I am not going to give you the answer, as that is something you must come to through Holy Spirit guided study.   Can you sell me this power, for I’ll pay you well?   😇

How can I sell you something you already have? 🤔

• Like 1

E Morales

1 hour ago, Knotical said:

How can I sell you something you already have? 🤔

I was just remembering those in the Bible that wanted to buy the Holy Spirit.

Solas
7 hours ago, Knotical said:

Do you believe in election?  It is arguable that they were never going to be saved.  God puts people in this world for a myriad of different reasons.  Some are clearly meant as a cautionary tale.

Of course there is the school of thought that suggests that because Eli did not properly discipline his children it led them to become so reprobate they were beyond saving.  At the crux of this debate is the idea of free will.  Do we truly have the ability to choose to follow God, or is that predetermined before we are even born?

I am not going to give you the answer, as that is something you must come to through Holy Spirit guided study.

Yes I believe in election but I hold it in tandem with human responsibility.

I'd hate to end up on the receiving end of His 'cautionary tale'.

I don't hold to free will but agree with Luther on this..."I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. " (Sm catechism 3rd Article).

I just love a condescending attitude on Forums. It quickly clues me in on what I am dealing with.

Knotical
On 11/7/2019 at 1:50 PM, Solas said:

I just love a condescending attitude on Forums. It quickly clues me in on what I am dealing with.

Didn't mean to sound condescending.  But, then how would you want to find out this information, someone tell you (which you can then question the validity), or have the Holy Spirit reveal it to you?

Solas
41 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Didn't mean to sound condescending.  But, then how would you want to find out this information, someone tell you (which you can then question the validity), or have the Holy Spirit reveal it to you?

His Spirit uses His Word to reveal...but thank you anyways for the offer.