The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Elijah Cummings

William
Staff

Till his last day he refused to give up his seat. If I am correct he hasn't been present for awhile. He insured people he was in good health. 

Refusing to relinquish power for the good of the people. Reminds me of a particular seat in SCOTUS.

• ouch 1
  • Confused 1

theophilus
17 hours ago, William said:

Refusing to relinquish power for the good of the people. Reminds me of a particular seat in SCOTUS.

I assume you are referring to Justice Ginsberg.  Rather than complaining about her refusal to give up her seat, we should pray for her salvation.  In fact we are commanded to pray for all lawmakers and judges.  That would do more to improve the government than voting, but too many Christians seem to prefer complaining to praying.

I checked the link in Faber's post.  It seems to me this organization would be a good place to find out how we need to pray for our leaders.

• Like 1

William
Staff
14 minutes ago, theophilus said:

I assume you are referring to Justice Ginsberg.  Rather than complaining about her refusal to give up her seat, we should pray for her salvation.  In fact we are commanded to pray for all lawmakers and judges.  That would do more to improve the government than voting, but too many Christians seem to prefer complaining to praying.

I checked the link in Faber's post.  It seems to me this organization would be a good place to find out how we need to pray for our leaders.

Sure, let us pray, 

Psalm 109:8 "May his days be few; may another take his office!"

• Haha 1

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Faber said:

As much as the media is glorifying Elijah Cummings since he has passed away just take a look at his stance concerning abortion.

https://www.ontheissues.org/House/Elijah_Cummings_Abortion.htm

Hebrews 10:31

Good bye and good riddance ! " Hate " to see you go...See ya at the Judgment Seat of Almighty God. This is where you'll get your "just reward " . :RpS_flapper:  MD

• Like 1

theophilus
15 hours ago, William said:

Sure, let us pray, 

Psalm 109:8 "May his days be few; may another take his office!"

In 1 Timothy 2:1,2, Paul said, " First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way."  Do you think this was the kind of prayer he had in mind?

William
Staff
On 10/19/2019 at 4:49 AM, theophilus said:

In 1 Timothy 2:1,2, Paul said, " First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way."  Do you think this was the kind of prayer he had in mind?

What I think is that Paul urged us to pray not only for the persons in high places but also lowly places, that is, men of all classes. For men the Psalmist lamented over in grief which took possession and life from others acting as their oppressors. What I do not think Paul meant was that we should not lament to God over the evils of the world and ask for deliverance. 

Why point to one verse as though they either contradict or that one verse is not relevant any more than the other? For example, should we not pray to God for deliverance of evil and not be led into temptation as well as for those pompous and haughty persons which ignore the rule of electing God fearing men over us? Even the Lord's Prayer can be a curse as well as a blessing when we pray "Your Kingdom come", because either way praying such limits the time of evil in the world. 

I have to admit and confess something that perhaps I should of awhile back but now is a good a time as ever so I turn to you as my brother for to help address. In a church I was a member of I felt great disdain towards some other members and elders. Our church was active in not only praying for those who happen to commit such atrocities as abortion but we were funding and supporting pro life organizations. However, within our midst, that is, within the walls of the church were not only members but elders that supported and voted into office those advocates which worked against our efforts. Every time we petitioned God on behalf of the innocent there were those men seated nearby which conspired against us. So you see not only do I pray as Paul urged us but also lament as the Psalmist while suffering the likes of Judas Iscariot which accept a bribe in one form or another. 

Which is the lesser of two evils? Worldly judges wielding evil over men or Christians in the name of Christ electing God forsaking persons into office? To me the question is answered when Jesus was handed over to stand trial before wicked men in court and after a kiss on the cheek by Judas .

• Like 3

ConfessionalLutheran

Death was introduced to the world by man's Rebellion at Satan's instigation. I will not rejoice over the death of anyone, not even Elijah Cummings. I grieve that he supported the policies that he did and that he did so little for the city he purported to represent. He stands at the bar of God's justice.. either Jesus Christ is interceding for him or he's trying to be his own attorney. I fear for his soul.

Becky
Staff
13 minutes ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Death was introduced to the world by man's Rebellion at Satan's instigation. I will not rejoice over the death of anyone, not even Elijah Cummings. I grieve that he supported the policies that he did and that he did so little for the city he purported to represent. He stands at the bar of God's justice.. either Jesus Christ is interceding for him or he's trying to be his own attorney. I fear for his soul.

Pro_24:17  Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:  🙂

• Like 1

William
Staff
23 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Want to witness me rationalize this? 😲

You're Amillennial correct C.L.?

As an Amillennialist do you believe evil is real and in the process of removing evil from the world that God is embodying and personifying evil?

Should we be joyful when evil is ultimately removed from the earth? 

That is, whether evil is personified and/or fleshed out in lesser persons in contrast to the ultimate embodiment and then removed? 

In other words should we feel sorrowful or joyful when evil and wickedness is taken from the earth? 

On one hand I'm reminded of popular Christian cliches which suggest we should hate the sin and love the sinner as though there is some form of disconnect between the sin and the sinner. As we know sin is not in hell but sinful people are in hell. 

Ought we not glorify God even when we see the atrocities committed by such men in question ultimately removed?

• Like 1

ConfessionalLutheran
51 minutes ago, William said:

Want to witness me rationalize this? 😲

You're Amillennial correct C.L.?

As an Amillennialist do you believe evil is real and in the process of removing evil from the world that God is embodying and personifying evil?

Should we be joyful when evil is ultimately removed from the earth? 

That is, whether evil is personified and/or fleshed out in lesser persons in contrast to the ultimate embodiment and then removed? 

In other words should we feel sorrowful or joyful when evil and wickedness is taken from the earth? 

On one hand I'm reminded of popular Christian cliches which suggest we should hate the sin and love the sinner as though there is some form of disconnect between the sin and the sinner. As we know sin is not in hell but sinful people are in hell. 

Ought we not glorify God even when we see the atrocities committed by such men in question ultimately removed?

I am an amillenialist, yes, @William.

I do believe that evil is real and when such evil is removed, yes, we should rejoice.

Do I grieve that Satan could so easily dupe people ( who are, like us, created in God's Image and descend from Adam and Eve) even to the point of their death? Yes, I do grieve.

God shall be glorified regardless of our moods ( as once you pointed out to me) and when evil is taken from the earth, the righteous shall rejoice.

Jesus died for EC just as much as He died for you and I, man. If EC is lost ( and I'm grimly of that opinion), it's his own fault. God gave him time in his generation to come to repentance, but he never did, preferring the vain things of this world to those things that are still more excellent.

Our brother is dead and shall I rejoice? No, I shall not. I should have rejoiced to see him go home to salvation and would have celebrated the works God did through him ( had he been favored by God), but if another lost soul is now dead, then another member of the human family has chosen Hell and yes, I will grieve for that.

• Like 2

William
Staff
1 minute ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

I am an amillenialist, yes, @William.

I do believe that evil is real and when such evil is removed, yes, we should rejoice.

Do I grieve that Satan could so easily dupe people ( who are, like us, created in God's Image and descend from Adam and Eve) even to the point of their death? Yes, I do grieve.

God shall be glorified regardless of our moods ( as once you pointed out to me) and when evil is taken from the earth, the righteous shall rejoice.

Jesus died for EC just as much as He died for you and I, man. If EC is lost ( and I'm grimly of that opinion), it's his own fault. God gave him time in his generation to come to repentance, but he never did, preferring the vain things of this world to those things that are still more excellent.

Our brother is dead and shall I rejoice? No, I shall not. I should have rejoiced to see him go home to salvation and would have celebrated the works God did through him ( had he been favored by God), but if another lost soul is now dead, then another member of the human family has chosen Hell and yes, I will grieve for that.

In my mind death at times is bitter sweet. 

• Like 1

ConfessionalLutheran

" The LORD giveth and the LORD taketh away. Blessed be the Name of the LORD," ( Job 1:21). Elijah Cummings lived and died and left us an object lesson on how not to be.

Respects to his family and now it's time to move on.

• Like 2

deade

I will say just this: Take heed how you declare someone evil. We know how Satan gets people into self-justification and on the road to evil and thinking they are working for the good of mankind. Most  people become corrupt because of power. It takes a lot of faith to weld power and do right by everybody. Corruption is the nature of the beast.    

FalconMan

Very difficult topic for Christians to consider.  Some observations I have:

I don't think EC was "our brother".

While Christians should always been praying for and seeking the redemption of all, we also recognize not everyone is saved.  In fact, the path is very narrow.  That being said, where does one draw the line in where to treat others?  I refer to 1 John 3:4-10

4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

I consider someone in a major position of power to be most evident here.  If your politician continuously practices behavior that is works of the devil, you know where they come from, especially to their death.  If the Son of God is to destroy these evil works of the devil, should we lament that?  I don't think so.  Consider someone like Paul.  Had he been destroyed prior to his conversion, that would be something to rejoice in, as his persecution of Christians would have stopped.  However, God used him to further his kingdom, and when he did perish, it was to glorify God.  Saul was destroyed and Paul was born.  I think he even rejoiced in that.

Can totally see William's comments about church leadership and membership practice as well.  If they promote pro-life organizations while voting in politicians that work against God, they are not practicing righteousness.  They are in fact "trying" to please God (and ultimately themselves) on paper, and destroy him in practice.  Insert the Sanhedrin and Sadducees here.  Many modern day churches do exactly this, and it is important to have nothing more to do with these people (Insert Matthew 18 and Titus 3).

If your church is advocating that voting for Hillary Clinton, a known Lawless politician, is not a sin, as an OPC church I know, you need to run far away from them.  The lawlessness will not stop.  You also need to steer far away from Elijah Cummings, a practiced Lawless politician, and rejoice in the fact that they will no longer be brainwashing God's people to the lawlessness they support.  At the same time, pray that they change their ways.

If you don't support praise of destroying Lawlessness, then you don't support capital punishment, nor life in prison, nor death in self-defense.  If you support destroying people for your own gain, that is also Lawlessness.  Hard concept for a sinner to determine the Righteous path... We need Christ.

• Like 3

E Morales

When it rains, the grass turns green in the sinners yard. and the saints. Great is this mystery.

deade
On 10/27/2019 at 7:16 AM, E Morales said:

When it rains, the grass turns green in the sinners yard. and the saints. Great is this mystery.

What are you implying, that anyone here is looking up on the works of those like Cummins? I don't think anything like that is going on. We all here despise anyone that promotes abortion but that they are out of our purview, so we just leave them alone. They were our enemy, now they are gone. Let the Lord judge them.   :RpS_thumbup:

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Faber said:

As much as the media is glorifying Elijah Cummings since he has passed away just take a look at his stance concerning abortion.

https://www.ontheissues.org/House/Elijah_Cummings_Abortion.htm

Hebrews 10:31

I say "Good bye and good riddance ! " There's no chance of him being replaced by a conservative contender since Cummings has made certain that his constituents believed the democrat lies and deceptions about Pres.Trump . There are conservative Republicans in the minority community. But they are so few and have such a difficult time trying to win  over the people that have traditionally voted democrat in spite of the horrible treatment they received under the southern slave owning democrats .   

Faber
1 hour ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

There's no chance of him being replaced by a conservative contender since Cummings has made certain that his constituents believed the democrat lies and deceptions about Pres.Trump.

His wife may take over where he left off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/maya-rockeymoore-cummings-is-thinking-carefully-about-running-for-her-late-husbands-congressional-seat/2019/10/31/8c4425e2-fc26-11e9-8906-ab6b60de9124_story.html

She is no stranger to controversy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cummings-wife-ethics-charity

Matthew A.Duvall
29 minutes ago, Faber said:

Seriously though...these people were herded by the Islamic pirates that gathered up men, women and children from east central Africa to sell them to slave markets around the world .They were forced to march a hundred miles without proper  clothing or shoes on rock studded roads headed back to the slave ships . And if any were exhausted or sick they were left for dead or eaten by wild animals . The Muslims found  anxious  slave buyers in the southern plantation owning democrats who had more respect for the underside of their shoes than for the welfare of their slaves . Many were starved to death and many died of untreated illnesses or worked to death . So what is the dominant religion among the minorities ? Islam ! What is the favored political party of the minorities ? Democrat !   M

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, theophilus said:

,,,Pray for her salvation ? Hummm ,,,, You go first....  :RpS_flapper:    While you're at it you can include Jonathan Cahn in your prayer.     M

Matthew A.Duvall
5 hours ago, Faber said:

If she does the media will make certain that she has a following . They don't have to wait for one, they will simply build one that suits the purposes of the democrats.

theophilus
7 hours ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

,,,Pray for her salvation ? Hummm ,,,, You go first....  :RpS_flapper:    While you're at it you can include Jonathan Cahn in your prayer.     M

Do you have doubts about whether she can be saved?  If she were saved it wouldn't be any stranger than the salvation of Saul of Tarsus.  I have been praying regularly for her salvation. 

Matthew A.Duvall
8 hours ago, theophilus said:

Do you have doubts about whether she can be saved?  If she were saved it wouldn't be any stranger than the salvation of Saul of Tarsus.  I have been praying regularly for her salvation. 

God certainly has the divine right and sovereign privilege of saving whom He wills to be saved. I leave her eternal destiny in His hands and not interposing with prayers for her that He did not ordain . If she is left in her sins she will pay the ultimate price for her unredeemed soul. Beginning with her denial and rejection of our Lord Jesus Christ followed by the life she led that  fought against everything that He stood for .

Paul was woven into the fabric of God's providence. Remember he had a mission to convey the gospel message to the Gentiles . And  that mission began  with a personal encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ . Words of spiritual conviction overcame him when he could only say ; "Lord what will thou have me to do ?"   

theophilus
20 hours ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

God certainly has the divine right and sovereign privilege of saving whom He wills to be saved. I leave her eternal destiny in His hands and not interposing with prayers for her that He did not ordain

Jesus told us to pray for our enemies.  I believe Ruth Ginsberg meets that qualification, so any prayers for her are ordained by God.

• Like 1