The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Staff
10 minutes ago, GaoLu said:

I've seen that argument so many times but haven't yet seen any teachings of Jesus to back it up.

Things I ponder....

- Turning over tables in the temple isn't quite the same thing as terminating the life of someone threatening you. 

- "Providing for your own" is a long stretch from aiming a gun and blowing  someone's brains out.

- If a bad man stomping a child warrants violent restraint or more, then why not hold the same standard at abortion centers?

Tension between ideas on follow Jesus teachings and how far to go with violence is valid. 

In our conclusions, I hope we...

1. Authentically honor God, His Word and guidance of the Holy Spirit in real, specific difficult cases

2. Prepare for peace rather than violence.

The arguments are derived from following principles of interpretation that entails both a negative explicit and positive implicit of a command. For example, the 6th commandment is that "you shall not murder". That's the negative explicit. The positive implicit would be "you shall preserve life". The principle must not result in either contradicting one another. That is, the implicit may never contradict an explicit command. 

Staff
2 hours ago, GaoLu said:

If a bad man stomping a child warrants violent restraint or more, then why not hold the same standard at abortion centers?

Killing the unborn and the new born in the USA is lawful in many states  . Killing the butchers is not. 

9 minutes ago, Becky said:

Killing the butchers is not. 

Mixed up place we live in.

Also wondering, if a woman goes to have an abortion isn't she committing murder as well? Would she deserve to be tried for murder?

Staff
2 minutes ago, Faber said:

Also wondering, if a woman goes to have an abortion isn't she committing murder as well? Would she deserve to be tried for murder?

I do not believe there is a simple answer.. It has been legal for so long now . I also see a difference between a grown woman and a high school girl.  The lies that the child is only a glob of cells are believed.. I would not hold the women/girls guilty who have had abortions accountable to a new law,. The moral law is between their repentance and God, I am speaking of human law.  To my thinking if Roe v. Wade was over turned tomorrow from that time on, yes arrest her and the butcher for murder.. 

As for Roe v. Wade  IMO the SCOTUS , with the support of Congress over stepped it boundaries  in that decision.

• Like 1

Staff

image.png.5a54affdc7f351a2f933a0d980c6d346.png

• Like 1

Staff
7 hours ago, Faber said:

Everyone that conspires together to take the life of the innocent. 

Don't care if it is the husband, woman, or doctor. 

Enemies of God seek death but we seek to suffer life in Jesus Christ. 

• Like 2