Jump to content

The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
E Morales

How many times have you been baptized?

How many times have you been baptized?  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. By your choice to be baptized or not, how many times?

    • 1 time for me
      5
    • 2 times for me
      4
    • 3 times for me
      1
    • Never, I don't need to be baptized
      0


Recommended Posts

Staff
1 hour ago, Knotical said:

Point of fact, you only need to be baptized once.

I agree. I was baptized when young back in 197? and then 8 years ago when I "doubted" my baptism. I wish I wasn't baptized a second time but nevertheless I was baptized again before I began my theological studies. My second baptism "communicated doubt" and unfortunately other members in the Credo-Baptist church I was attending followed my example. 

 

Nicene Creed We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins.

Ephesians 4:1-7 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Knotical said:

Point of fact, you only need to be baptized once.

I was sprinkled as a Catholic baby and baptized as an adult by immersion, when I got saved. I posted 2 times in the poll. Was this wrong?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, E Morales said:

I was sprinkled as a Catholic baby and baptized as an adult by immersion, when I got saved. I posted 2 times in the poll. Was this wrong?

If you understand what baptism is then you know it is only necessary once.  Baptism replaced circumcision, which was only done once, so baptism is to follow suit.

 

Those who are converted to the faith (quickened by the Holy Spirit and led to believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior) are baptized.  Those who are born into a Christian family are baptized as an infant (as infant Hebrew males were circumcised within 8 days of birth), there is no need for another baptism once the individual comes of age (personally receives Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior).  

 

Just look through the New Testament for examples of new believers.  They were no longer required to be circumcised, but them and their entire family were baptized.

  • Best Answer 1

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Baptism replaced circumcision, which was only done once, so baptism is to follow suit.

Sorry, but everyone has their role to fulfill in the BODY and mine is to give people a hard time about paedobaptism.

 

1. Scripture doesn’t actually say that baptism replaced circumcision, that is something that must be inferred based on a theological predisposition. (Just like Credobaptism)

 

2. Circumcision was not necessary for everyone, only males, so as a replacement only males should need baptism.

 

3. Circumcision only marked you as part of the covenant people, it never indicated any personal holiness ... does baptism represent nothing more than Church membership irrespective of salvation or the grace of God?  Is that the Biblical description of baptism?

 

Thank you for your patience.

The semi-Official Christforums Heterodox (Calvinist Credobaptist Continuationist)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Knotical said:

If you understand what baptism is then you know it is only necessary once.  Baptism replaced circumcision, which was only done once, so baptism is to follow suit.

 

Those who are converted to the faith (quickened by the Holy Spirit and led to believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior) are baptized.  Those who are born into a Christian family are baptized as an infant (as infant Hebrew males were circumcised within 8 days of birth), there is no need for another baptism once the individual comes of age (personally receives Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior).  

 

Just look through the New Testament for examples of new believers.  They were no longer required to be circumcised, but them and their entire family were baptized.

I had no choice my parents baptized me a baby. This baptism did not count, but was done. So if I say I was baptized once, I would not be telling you the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

I was sprinkled as a Catholic baby and baptized as an adult by immersion, when I got saved. I posted 2 times in the poll. Was this wrong?

I think you are wrong ... not to get re-baptized (that is a personal matter of the heart between you and God) but I think that your count is off.

 

I was baptized as an infant in a Lutheran Church as a compromise between Catholic grandparents that demanded that the baby be baptized and Methodist grandparents that insisted that the child be raised Protestant rather than Catholic.  So following that compromise to keep the peace, I was immediately raised to be an atheist.  That was my FIRST baptism.  

 

Fast forward almost two decades and God held a personal intervention in the life of a violent nihilist that shook my world to its very foundations.  Jesus Christ chose, for reasons that are still incomprehensible to me, to radically transform me from the inside out by the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.  That was my SECOND baptism.

 

Fast forward another decade and a half and I am attending a small “Church of God of Anderson Indiana” and watching a baptism of a new believer.  I made the passing comment that I was never really baptized (the First seemed like a sham or a con and I knew too little scripture to understand about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit being the ONE BAPTISM that really counts).  They were horrified.  I just took it all in stride.  Since obeying the command to “repent and be baptized” seemed like a generally good idea (nothing there to really object to), I agreed to be baptized to fulfill the ordnance’s of Christ as I then understood them.  That was my THIRD baptism.

 

Having read a LOT more scripture since then, I am convinced that it is the BAPTISM performed by the hand of God that really matters.  I have no idea if my infant baptism was of any value or not ... not because paedobaptism is wrong, but because baptism for atheists seems wrong.  On the matter of adult baptisms, it seems a matter of the heart ... like eating of meat.  One man gets rebaptized to the Glory of God and another trusts in their infant baptism to the Glory of God ... Let each man follow their heart and let God get the glory from both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

1Sa 16:7  But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

I was sprinkled as a Catholic baby and baptized as an adult by immersion, when I got saved. I posted 2 times in the poll. Was this wrong?

 

If I count my infant baptism, in a Catholic church, mine would be four baptisms. God giving me the Holy Spirit is the one that saved me. I didn't even count that in the four. That is the real baptism.

Share this post


Link to post

I grew up in a church that taught that water baptism was necessary for salvation and so I got baptized.  Later I heard the gospel and got saved, and after that I got baptized in water to declare that I was now a believer.  Only the second was a real baptism.  In the first I just got dunked in some water.  I went into the water a dry sinner and came up a wet one.  There was no inward change in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, E Morales said:

russia baptism GIF

From the look on it's face, I think that baby came out BELIEVING IN GOD and shouting like a PENTECOSTAL!

I don't think I'd let him baptize MY daughter ... but I'd like to meet the Priest that baptizes their adult converts!  That baptism is a test of manhood.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

giphy.gif.a97516aaeb2de8e967a83d939c206a68.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:14-17

 

 

 

 

F

Edited by Follow The Truth

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
7 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:14-17

 

 

 

 

F

Were they rebaptized? Was the re-administration of water used? Were they rebaptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

 

Anabaptist, if it possible for yous to answer the questions above honestly yous haven't any ground to stand on for rebaptizing covenant children. 

Share this post


Link to post

I am not generally in favor of re-baptism but also don't get the strength of objection.  It would almost seem that some think baptism really is of itself regenerational and object to re-baptism on that feeling.  Even more than that it seems to some to be a rite so deeply embedded with tradition that it has lost its biblical purpose. If a person wants to make a public confession of faith along with an act of immersion as an expression of conscience, please, let's not  forbid that. If a local body wants to ensure the Christians are serious about their walk with Christ through an authentic expression of baptism and the Christian agrees, I suspect mischief in the heart and motive of those who would dissuade them from doing so.

Edited by GaoLu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, William said:

Were they rebaptized? Was the re-administration of water used? Were they rebaptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

 

 

No they were not “re-baptized 

No they were baptized with the Holy Spirt

And No, they were not re-baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

 

 

 

 

 

F

11 hours ago, FalconMan said:

If anybody believes the act of baptism has anything to do with salvation, they are missing the point.  

 

Which baptism are you referring to?

 

 

 

 

F

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
13 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

 

 

No they were not “re-baptized 

No they were baptized with the Holy Spirt

And No, they were not re-baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

 

 

 

 

 

F

 

Which baptism are you referring to?

 

 

 

 

F

There's only one Trinitarian baptism. One baptism with multiple aspects of which the timing of each salvific role performed by three Persons does not necessarily take place simultaneously at the moment water is administered. 

 

Ephesians  4:1-7

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

 

There is no need to baptize more than once for the physical aspect (outward) and then for the spiritual aspect (inward). There's no need to baptize for the covenant sign and seal or initiation into the body of Christ, another for regeneration, and yet again for the remission of sins, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Follow The Truth said:

 

 

No they were not “re-baptized 

No they were baptized with the Holy Spirt

And No, they were not re-baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

 

 

 

 

 

F

 

Which baptism are you referring to?

 

 

 

 

F

I am referring to the physical application of water to a person.  The mode is not important.  For instance, the dunking of the baby multiple times in multiple ways is just completely unnecessary.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, FalconMan said:

I am referring to the physical application of water to a person.  The mode is not important.  For instance, the dunking of the baby multiple times in multiple ways is just completely unnecessary.

 

 

The “dunking” of a baby is not necessary since they must first believe the Gospel. 

 

 

 

 

F

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, William said:

There's only one Trinitarian baptism. One baptism with multiple aspects of which the timing of each salvific role performed by three Persons does not necessarily take place simultaneously at the moment water is administered. 

 

Ephesians  4:1-7

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

 

There is no need to baptize more than once for the physical aspect (outward) and then for the spiritual aspect (inward). There's no need to baptize for the covenant sign and seal or initiation into the body of Christ, another for regeneration, and yet again for the remission of sins, etc. 

 

I agree there is “one baptism”, with three aspects just as there is “One God” with three.

 

 

The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ at regeneration.

A man baptizes us in water.

The Lord Jesus Christ baptizes us with the Holy Spirit.

 

 

These are three separate and distinct baptizms.

 

 

 

 

F

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...