SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
E Morales

Burial over Cremation for Christians

E Morales

Christians have always preferred to have a burial over cremation for thousands of years, at deaf. Why not now, I know that cremation is cheaper, but is this right thing for us christians to do?

ray donovan death GIF by Showtime

Becky

There are some guys in our community who are deeply schooled in the Scriptures . I  am very interested in the what and whys they may have on this topic. 

William
Staff

I think culturally cremation used to be offensive and disrespectful in Biblical times. People were burned at the stake or their flesh and bones were simply taken from down a crux and thrown to the dogs. I've researched this and without going into it deeply just relay my final conclusion in response that some argue we are to keep intact our bodies for the resurrection. However, if I could give God a good reason not to resurrect this flesh [that's tattooed] then here's my act to force the issue [though I have no control over what anyone does with my body after death].

The Big Lebowski Death GIF by Working Title

In all seriousness I think burial shows more respect for the deceased by the living and sometimes that provides additional closure. I'd prefer though to be cremated and not burden my family with the additional expenses. I pray that they follow the living God and let the dead bury their dead finding closure and comfort in our beloved Lord. 

God bless,

William

• Like 1

E Morales
9 minutes ago, William said:

I think culturally cremation used to be offensive and disrespectful in Biblical times. People were burned at the stake or their flesh and bones were simply taken from down a crux and thrown to the dogs. I've researched this and without going into it deeply just relay my final conclusion which was that some argue we are to keep intact our bodies for the resurrection. However, if I could give God a good reason not to resurrect this flesh [that's tattooed] then here's my act to force the issue.

The Big Lebowski Death GIF by Working Title

In all seriousness I think burial shows more respect for the deceased by the living and sometimes that provides additional closure. I'd prefer though to be cremated and not burden my family with the additional expenses. I pray that they follow the living God and let the dead bury their dead. 

God bless,

William

How did this man go from having not much hair, to much hair in this clip.?  😉 fake news

• Haha 1

William
Staff
17 minutes ago, E Morales said:

How did this man go from having not much hair, to much hair in this clip.?  😉 fake news

I have no control over the number of hairs on my head just as we have no control over what happens to our body after death. Coming into this world was out of my control, being born from above was out of my control, and the final resurrection escapes my control Matthew 10:24–33

Becky

I would think some of the Christian objection to cremation stems from this story.

Gen 50:25  And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence. 
Gen 50:26  So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt. 

Exo 13:19  And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you. 

• Wow 1

William
Staff
15 minutes ago, Becky said:

I would think some of the Christian objection to cremation stems from this story.

Gen 50:25  And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence. 
Gen 50:26  So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt. 

Exo 13:19  And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you. 

Yes, and other Christians might object to Genesis 50:25 with Matthew 5:34 😜 And about that tongue, perhaps the living should be more concerned with James 3:6? 

Now let me do a reversed Baptist argument 🤣 Technically, should we immerse fully into the ground? Or should we place the body in a tomb above the ground? Is it a proper Christian burial if the body is placed into the ground? 

Lastly, what about the Christian martyrs burned at the stake?

Becky
6 minutes ago, William said:

Lastly, what about the Christian martyrs burned at the stake?

Those folks did not have a choice.

Another question sorta down this same line..

At 'rapture' What happens to folks who have received organ transplants?  Would an 'unsaved kidney or heart' be "left behind" Or if a Christian has donated their parts are they ripped form the recipient?  

13 minutes ago, William said:

Yes, and other Christians might object to Genesis 50:25 with Matthew 5:34 😜 And about that tongue, perhaps the living should be more concerned with James 3:6

Perfect

William
Staff
43 minutes ago, Becky said:

Those folks did not have a choice.

Think about that! My mind is definitely made up now lol. 

Yes, flesh gives birth to flesh. People will be ripped out of other people and made into natural persons [sarcasm]. And other natural persons will try donating themselves to "crawl back up into their mother's womb" to be born from above. 

Remember what day it is today?

sarcastic the office GIF

It's Sarcasm Monday!!!

• Haha 1

th1bill

My personal choice is burial six foot deep.  The basis of my preference is also based on Genesis.  It will draw shouts from the range of Atheists through the unstudied (intentionally ignorant) and including a litany of assorted New Believers but I like Gen. 9:6 and the surrounding verses for more reasons than Capitol Punishment.  We are commanded to take the life of the murderer for it is with or without thought that he/she has dealt the death blow to the Image of YHWH.

islandrazor

1, Cor, 15:35  But someone will say, “How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?” 36 Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. 37 And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain—perhaps wheat or some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.

44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

If the last Adam is Christ, then:

Phil, 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

We see above the form Christ was in was not human, it was the form of God. Christ took on the form of humanity, ...and being found in the appearance of a man…

Luke,24: 39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.”

The way I see it, Why the heck would I need a physical body? It ain’t getting into heaven. Let the dogs eat it, the worms.Someone who needs it more than I.

In Christ

islandrazor
13 hours ago, Faber said:

Christ had a physical body on earth and still has a physical body in heaven. He now has a supernatural body, but still a physical body nonetheless.

See Colossians 2:9. 

https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/7582-jesus-as-both-god-and-man-colossians-29/?tab=comments#comment-42394

Colossians, 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

What do we learn from this scripture? God in His totality is personified in the body of Christ.

2:2 ...both of the Father and of Christ… While the fullness of God is personified in Christ, here we see the separation of two distinctive personas. Strongs: both, and, even, likewise, also.

Seen here:

Mat, 1:2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and G2532 his brethren;

Mat, 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and G2532 thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Just two examples.

I believe we can agree that while God and Christ are in full agreement, they yet retain individual characteristics. So I won’t spend much time there. Christ while on earth in a body of flesh and blood said, “If you’ve seen me, you have seen the Father.” He was referring to the fullness of God. The oneness they share. The vision, purpose, intent, direction, the agreement.

The phrase, "Flesh and blood," represents earthly nature.

1 Cor 15:44, “It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.” Natural. Strongs; 5591: ψυχικός, having the nature and characteristics of the ψυχή i. e. of the principle of animal life," which men have in common with the brutes.

The books of Colossians and Corinthians are saying the same thing. “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.”

Yes, Christ has a corporeal body in which dwells the fullness of God. It, however is not flesh and blood. It is physical yes, but not earthly.. It is a new corporeal, spiritual, body.

This natural body was designed for life on earth, is not reanimated from dust again, it does not have access to heaven. We receive a new heavenly body as is the body of Christ.

1 Cor, 15:49 49 “And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.”

We see in Phil, 2:5 Christ switched bodies when he came to earth. Why? Because flesh and blood are temporal. His heavenly body is eternal, it cannot die. It was necessary to lay aside His heavenly body in order to be sacrificed in our stead. It was necessary to conquer death in an earthly body so that humanity through faith in his work could also conquer death and when the time is full receive a heavenly, eternal body as He has. Thank you God…

Phil, 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond servant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

In Christ

As we see the natural body is like the body of animals, brute, flesh and blood. Will not need it? I enthusiastically anticipate the acquisition of the new human 2.0 form. Version 1 served me well. It is extremely capable, fits well, yet simultaneously fragile and subject to wear, and such a short life....

Mountainmanbob

Going to be buried next to my 1st wife who died in a car accident. The wife I have now will be buried on top of me. 

Have always thought that being buried is the best way for christians to go but,  do feel sorry for people that cannot afford a burial.  As we know they can be very expensive now days.

M-Bob 

• Like 1

Innerfire89

If you're buried your flesh rots to nothing and all that's left is your skeleton, with cremation your flesh is burnt up and all that's left is your skeleton which is put into a grinder.

So either way you're just bones in a container unless your family sprinkles your ashes somewhere.

• Like 1

William
Staff

What if others eat my flesh will I live? I was thinking that after cremation my ashes could be made into a tea. Just say'n!

just saying dallas cowboys GIF

Becky

Bitter tea? or sweet tea? 

William
Staff
12 minutes ago, Becky said:

Bitter tea? or sweet tea? 

Bitter sweet!

Bitter in that I am now not here. Sweet in that I am in Christ eternal! From the church militant to the church victorious! Genesis 3:19 "By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” Genesis 18:27 Abraham answered and said, “Behold, I have undertaken to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes. Ecclesiastes 3:20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. Job 30:19 God has cast me into the mire, and I have become like dust and ashes.

• Like 1

islandrazor
1 hour ago, William said:

What if others eat my flesh will I live? I was thinking that after cremation my ashes could be made into a tea. Just say'n!

just saying dallas cowboys GIF

That's a Willy Nelson song, "Roll me up and smoke me when I die." Keith Richards apparently smoked some of his fathers ashes in a joint. He figured his dad is now a part of him, but that is Keith.

• Haha 1

Mountainmanbob
3 hours ago, islandrazor said:

That's a Willy Nelson song, "Roll me up and smoke me when I die." Keith Richards apparently smoked some of his fathers ashes in a joint. He figured his dad is now a part of him, but that is Keith.

His music is good but, I do not think I would be taking advice from Keith.

Seems like throughout  history was it not mostly the pagans that believed in cremation?

M-Bob 

islandrazor
47 minutes ago, Mountainmanbob said:

His music is good but, I do not think I would be taking advice from Keith.

Seems like throughout  history was it not mostly the pagans that believed in cremation?

M-Bob 

Don’t know if the pagans were the first to cremate. There have always been many more of them than Israelite's, so the likelihood would certainly be greater. Maybe they were just the first to remember to pillage and plunder before they set fire to conquered cities and villages. Kidding.

Advice from Keith, nah, unless it had to do with guitar. I get all the relevant advice I need from scripture and the Spirit. That however does not preclude learning lessons from just about anyone with something to give. It simply may be at times an example of how not to do something or behave.

Always found cigarettes both foul and foolish, bud was dropped quickly after it begun. Smoking a persons ashes, at fifteen, a young, dumb version of me would try anything. That ship not only sailed, it sank.

Antus67

In my humble opinion I prefer to be cremated rather than buried.The spirit leaves the body to be with the Lord, as for the Resurrection  I believe the Lord will restore the flesh for that time

Antus67

This powerful verse is a quote from God. He reminds us of our place in the greater cosmic scheme of things. He says these words After Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The English Standard Version (ESV) is: “By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return”.

This verse has related verses in the Bible which all describe we people as coming from dust and returning to dust and ashes. To see these related verses, follow these links: Genesis 18:27 “am but dust and ashes”, Job 30:19 “I am become like dust and ashes”, and Ecclesiastes 3:20 “all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again”.

The phrase ‘ashes to ashes, dust to dust’ is inspired by these verses. It is used in funeral services and is contained in the Book of Common Prayer used in Anglican churches.

Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent in Western Christianity, is also inspired by these Bible verses. It derives its name from the practice of blessing ashes made from palm branches. Palms were placed before Jesus as he entered Jerusalem. The ashes are put on the heads of participants while reciting the words “Repent, and believe in the Gospel” or “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return”.