The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Diego

Luther's Small Catechism

Let's talk about Luther's Small Catechism! I had to study it to be confirmed. Everybody ready for Catechism class? Let's go!

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1

Staff

Probably be easiest if you provide a direct link to the Lutheran Shorter Catechism of your choice. That is, if you don't mind a suggestion. 

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Staff

Luther's Small Catechism is wonderful! It's compact and it makes that necessary distinction between Law and Gospel in its subject matter. First, it goes over the Ten Commandments, the Law, which nobody ( apart from God's grace) can keep and it's chief function is to remind us of our sinful condition. The Third Use of the Law, of course, is the role it plays as guide to Christian living for the redeemed. It then goes over the Apostles Creed, which is recited every Sunday there's no Communion and which briefly outlines the main articles of our faith. It goes over the seven petitions of the Lord's Prayer after that and finally, we're given Table of Duties and rules of a Householder. The Large Catechism goes over the Ten Commandments, the Apostles Creed and the Lord's Prayer in greater detail and concludes with a dissertation on the sacraments of Holy Baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Staff

Sure I'll join but I know as much about the small catechism as I know about the medium, the large, or the super size catechism.

Staff

Not much has changed. From the Preface, Luther:

Grace, Mercy, and Peace in Jesus Christ, our Lord.

The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form. Mercy! Good God! what manifold misery I beheld! The common people, especially in the villages, have no knowledge whatever of Christian doctrine, and, alas! many pastors are altogether incapable and incompetent to teach [so much so, that one is ashamed to speak of it]. Nevertheless, all maintain that they are Christians, have been baptized and receive the [common] holy Sacraments. Yet they [do not understand and] cannot [even] recite either the Lord's Prayer, or the Creed, or the Ten Commandments; they live like dumb brutes and irrational hogs; and yet, now that the Gospel has come, they have nicely learned to abuse all liberty like experts.

I loved the way Luther and Calvin etc talked back then. 

• Like 1

Well, Luther talked very plainly. He was not at all above using what we today would call profanity to make his point, and did so often. Remember that he came of good Saxon peasant stock. After all, he was the one who literally said, "when I drink beer I get drunk. When I get drunk I go to sleep. When I sleep I commit no sin. So pass me another beer". He could be very humourous.

• Like 1