The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Berserk

Most Unforgettable Sermon You Ever Heard

The words of most sermons we loved are quickly forgotten.  Below is a quote from a sermon I heard, a quote that I recall word for word after one hearing.

I don't necessarily approve of the attitude reflected in this quote, but I give the preacher credit for his unforgettable speaking style and I wonder how my own sermons could have been reworded to make them more memorable.

f

"I like my religion the way I like my tea--hot,

"Cause I'd rather be a fool on fire than a scholar on ice,

and it's easier to cool a hot coel than warm up a corpse!

Honestly, when I drive by dem liberal churches,

I take my hat off out of respect for the dead."

I will share other unforgettable words in sermons I heard.  

I invite you to do the same in this thread.

I see this is your first post, in Christian satire. Does that and your handle (username) suggest what we can expect from you? Anyway, welcome to ChristForums. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

spacer.png

Staff

image.png.b0d3cb8868fed8c782f671e01384ecf8.png

The pastor of my first 21 years was a great preacher, but his sermons lacked a sense of humor.  So for me his most memorable sermons were 2 that contained unintended bloopers.  I was about `10-11 years old at the time.

His first blooper occurred in a sermon on John the Baptist.  I don't recall the details of that sermon, but at one point he declared, "Then Jordan baptized Jesus in the john.'  I couldn't believe my young ears.  My pastor just moved on as if he had never misspoken.  What made this blooper even funnier to me was the stone-faced  reaction of the congregation (about 1,500 present).  No one even smiled.  I wondered whether anyone else was listening carefully.  

About a year later, my pastor was preaching on David's troubled  relationship with King Saul.  What I recall from that sermon is the point where my pastor declared, "And there David stood in the gates of the sanctuary, breathless and pantless."  Again, he pressed on, oblivious to what he had just said.  Again, I noticed the stone-faced reaction of the large congregation.   Now I knew that most congregations hear from a pastor what they expect him to say, not what he actually says.  I was appalled, yet amused enough to giggle quietly.  Then I noticed a man about 30 rows ahead of me turn around with s wicked grin on his face.  I thought to myself, "Phew, at least one man was closely listening."  .

Years later, a homiletics professor in seminary told us, "To be a good preacher, you must take responsibility, not for what you said, but for what you were heard to say."  His advice brought back memories of my pastor's 2 bloopers. 

NOTE: Truthfully, I started this thread only as a test pilot to see whether I was actually registered for this site.  In the  future I will stick to wannabe profound threads that expose me for the solemn and witless pedant I really am!

• Like 1
  • Toast 1

I can never forget the sermon in august 1989 that was preched on the day of my conversion. The speaker was preaching from hebrews 9, the title for the sermon was 'Why did he die?' The word of God had a significant impact on my life that day in a way which hadn't happened before. I was convicted of my sins and repented. I later got baptised

• Like 1