The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Why did the Lord forbid Paul to speak in Asia?

Staff

Act 16:6  And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia.

First question, what area was considered Asia? And till this day are we forbidden? Dare I ask why God withheld His grace from Asia (please don't merit grace)?

Staff
On 8/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, William said:

Act 16:6  And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia.

First question, what area was considered Asia? And till this day are we forbidden? Dare I ask why God withheld His grace from Asia (please don't merit grace)?

I would think it most likely a reference the Roman province of Asia which is exactly where they were at.   We know more or less as Asia Minor.

Map-Asia-in-Roman-Times.gif.8bfd3898988bc2345bdeff360c2e99d2.gif

And till this day are we forbidden?

The text gives no indication of that.  Moreover the book of Revelation is addressed to seven church which are in Asia Minor.

the-seven-churches-of-revelation.jpg.e4db54cb5cab08d2724f59208ed2400b.jpg

Dare I ask why God withheld His grace from Asia (please don't merit grace)?

Nothing in the text indicates God withheld his grace.  Beside three letters are written to groups of Christians in Asia, namely the Ephesians, Galatians, and Colossians.

• Informative 1

Staff
7 minutes ago, Origen said:

Nothing in the text indicates that withheld his grace.  Beside three letters were written to Christians in Asia, namely Ephesians Galatians, and Colossians.

A point of clarification:

If the Gospel is a means of grace. Withholding the gospel might be construed as withholding grace.

God bless,

William

12 hours ago, William said:

If the Gospel is a means of grace. Withholding the gospel might be construed as withholding grace.

God bless,

William

Isa, 44:18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.

Mark, 4:

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.

11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

I'm thinking God does what He wants, when He wants. Even withholding grace for a time if He chooses.

In Christ

• Best Answer 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, William said:

God bless,

William

He withholds it form whomsoever He wills and gives it to those whom He foreknew in eternity past . Some want to say that God had foreknowledge of who would accept the free gift of grace by (their) faith and who would refuse it . But that is not what foreknowledge means . "To those to whom He did foreknow " No biblical writer makes election and predestination more plain than the apostle Paul .   M

1. Turkey, more or less.

2. A simple matter of timing of evangelism.  Not a matter of withholding grace.   

• Like 1

Staff

Could be as simple as God is in control not Paul. Obedience helps cure pride.

• Like 1

God divided his Apostolic army in half ... ELEVEN to spread the word East to Asia Minor and PAUL to spread the word West to Europe (God sent a eunuch with a little help from Phillip to reach Africa). 🙂

• Best Answer 1