SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
bcbsr

Divorce and Remarriage

bcbsr

Divorce does not nullify a marriage

Mark 10:11,12 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Notice that if divorce itself nullified the marriage, then if "single" or "unmarried" status was obtained through divorce, it certainly would not have been adultery for such people to then go on to marry someone else. But Jesus teaches otherwise. Since remarriage after divorce is adulterous, therefore divorce does not nullify a marriage.

Marriage lasts a lifetime

Rom 7:2-3 "For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man."

(Under the Mosaic Law, there was no provision for a wife to divorce her husband. Husbands were allowed to divorce their wives under the Mosaic Law, but Jesus revealed that such was not God's absolute standard. But such was tolerated at the time because of the hardness of their hearts. Essentially Jesus revealed that statements like Rom 7:2-3 above really apply to husbands as well as wives)

1Cor 7:39 A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.

Remarriage after divorce not allowed, except for reconciliation

1Cor 7:10-11To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

This also implies that the husband should also remain unmarried to allow for reconciliation.

Luke 16:18b The man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

This speaks of a woman who did not take the active part in divorcing her husband, but rather was the one divorced by her husband.

God's Divorce

Jer 3:8 "I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries" ... "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband." Jer 3:14 

Note the God still reckons himself her husband even after the divorce

For more see 

Biblical Principles of Marriage, Divorce, & Adultery

• Like 1

islandrazor

I'm with you on this one brother, but you may get some flak on this one since many in the church are in that state.

As I see it, this was established by God here.

Gen, 2:23   And the man said: “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for out of man she was taken.” 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Christ, still in the old testament reiterates and confirms;

Mat, 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Paul in the new testament as you wrote again affirms;

Rom 7:2-3 "For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man."

Yet those who are in this position will vociferously champion grace on this issue.

The problem with divorce and remarriage is unlike other sin it is very difficult short of divorcing your current wife to repent, so some will vehemently defend their error and seek workarounds, search in scripture some way to justify their position.

Don't know how much I will engage in this thread, been there. You will find firm support for this position and strong opposition. They most oppose, it is a direct challenge to their relationship in good standing with God.

In Christ

• Love 1

NorrinRadd

Here is a site with a dissenting view.  The main page presents an introduction and summary.  Links on the left lead to more extensive summary articles in various online publications; a link to a page to contact the author with polite questions or objections; links to video sermons and presentations; and what appear to be links to online versions of entire books on the topic ("pastoral," "academic," and... something else).

Just Mike

I think you mis Gods Grace, Mercy and forgiveness.

islandrazor
3 hours ago, Just Mike said:

I think you miss Gods Grace, Mercy and forgiveness.

Hey Mike,

If I remember correctly, you commented the last time this subject came up.

Love you brother, and no I don't miss grace, mercy, forgiveness.

If I did I'd be toast, no matter how I tried.

I just see a culture in the church that sometimes seems to believe that, "sinning more so that grace may more abound," may be at risk and am compelled to speak. Some will hear it , some will not.

In Christ

Not sure that was addressed to me...

William
Staff
On 8/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, bcbsr said:

But Jesus teaches otherwise. Since remarriage after divorce is adulterous, therefore divorce does not nullify a marriage.

Question, In Jeremiah 3 God issues a certificate of divorce to national Israel.

My question is this, if a man issues a certificate of divorce to a wife which later remarries (adultery) is that Covenant still binding? Once the marriage bed has been defiled and the vows broken is the man required to suffer the adulterous wife? Or, is the divorce an actual divorce?

Is the Covenant broken and no more? Is the man free to marry another?

bcbsr
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, William said:

Question, In Jeremiah 3 God issues a certificate of divorce to national Israel.

My question is this, if a man issues a certificate of divorce to a wife which later remarries (adultery) is that Covenant still binding? Once the marriage bed has been defiled and the vows broken is the man required to suffer the adulterous wife? Or, is the divorce an actual divorce?

Is the Covenant broken and no more? Is the man free to marry another?

Jer  3:8 I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. 

First of all we note that God divorced Israel in light of her adulteries. So this fits the scenario you suggest. But then note a few verses later God says, "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband." Jer 3:14 

So after God divorce Israel on the basis of her adulteries, he nonetheless still reckon himself her husband. Therefore Divorce does not nullify a marriage even if adultery is involved.

Edited by bcbsr

William
Staff
7 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Jer  3:8 I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. 

First of all we not that God divorced Israel in light of her adulteries. So this fits the scenario you suggest. But then note a few verses later God says, "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband." Jer 3:14 

So after God divorce Israel on the basis of her adulteries, he nonetheless still reckon himself her husband. Therefore Divorce does not nullify a marriage even if adultery is involved.

Please entertain my questions if you will 🙂

Right, so my question expands upon this. Is God obligated to uphold the Covenant with Israel after a divorce was issued?

No doubt God was Israel's husband. My question is whether the man is obligated to respect the covenant of marriage once it has been broken?

We could liken this to apostates etc.

I'm fascinated by an overlay of meta imagery. National Israel broke the covenant. God went after Gentiles and ushered them into a new covenant. That is not suggesting that God excluded Jews. The church (Israel) actually includes both Jews and Gentiles which do not identify as either.

Is the new covenant made under false pretenses, has God committed adultery with the Gentiles?

That is, while entertaining the notion that all Israel is Israel.

• Like 1

Becky

Deu 24:1  When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. 
Deu 24:2  And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. 
Deu 24:3  And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; 
Deu 24:4  Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. 
 good ol Matt Henry 

By the strictness of this law God illustrates the riches of his grace in his willingness to be reconciled to his people that had gone a whoring from him. Jer_3:1, Thou hast played the harlot with many lovers, yet return again to me. For his thoughts and ways are above ours.

• Yay 1

bcbsr
5 minutes ago, William said:

Right, so my question expands upon this. Is God obligated to uphold the Covenant with Israel after a divorce was issued?

No doubt God was Israel's husband. My question is whether the man is obligated to respect the covenant of marriage once it has been broken?

I'm fascinated by an overlay of meta imagery. National Israel broke the covenant. God went after Gentiles and ushered them into a new covenant. That is not suggesting that God excluded Jews. The church (Israel) actually includes both Jews and Gentiles which do not identify as either.

Is the new covenant made under false pretenses, has God committed adultery with the Gentiles?

Since he calls himself her husband then it seems he stills recognizes the marriage covenant as valid.

Rom 7:2,3 by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

It's till death do you part, not till divorce do you part.

As for the allusion to apostates, they were just false Christians to begin with, not really of the faith, as John says, "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19 You might by analogy liken them to a woman who falsely claims to be married to a guy she's not really married to.

As for the New Covenant, a death has occurred and "But if her husband dies". Not only did Jesus die, but also "you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God." Rom 7:4

As for the New Covenant, its forerunner preceded the Old Covenant. "Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise." Gal 3:15-18

• Like 1

islandrazor
25 minutes ago, William said:

False pretenses? More like multiple wives. He had no problem with it it in the old testament. I don't think He does now.

Rom, 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,

3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Notice they can be grafted into their own olive tree. God’s history with the Nation of Isreal was one of keeping a promise to Abraham. They were on the outs sometimes, they were on again at times. He did not break his promise, He chastised them, begged them to return, promised to restore the relationship.

Don’t know if that helps any.

In Christ

bcbsr
1 minute ago, Becky said:

Deu 24:1  When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. 
Deu 24:2  And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. 
Deu 24:3  And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; 
Deu 24:4  Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. 

As Jesus said concerning the Law of Moses see Mark 10:4-12

4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."
5  "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied.
6  "But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’
7  ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8  and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one.
9  Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
10  When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this.
11  He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.
12  And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Therefore what the Law of Moses says on the matter is not the standard by which Christians should live. Being a nation of priests it says concerning priests, "They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God." Le 21:7  Christians live by a higher standard. Not even God denied he was still Israel's husband after divorcing her on the basis of adultery. It's till death to you part, not till divorce to you part. 1Cor 7:38 "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives." That's the Christian's standard according to the New Testament. 

• Like 2

William
Staff
15 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Since he calls himself her husband then it seems he stills recognizes the marriage covenant as valid.

Rom 7:2,3 by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

It's till death do you part, not till divorce do you part.

As for the allusion to apostates, they were just false Christians to begin with, not really of the faith, as John says, "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19 You might by analogy liken them to a woman who falsely claims to be married to a guy she's not really married to.

As for the New Covenant, a death has occurred and "But if her husband dies". Not only did Jesus die, but also "you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God." Rom 7:4

As for the New Covenant, its forerunner preceded the Old Covenant. "Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise." Gal 3:15-18

Does he recognize the covenant itself as valid? Or does he recognize Himself as her true husband or one as a jealous God?

Romans 7:2,3 is very specific if we are going to be literalistic. The scripture applies to wives and widows and not males. There are those pesky verses we need deal with, like when the prophet Nathan approached David and stated God would multiply his wives.

Interesting, and while I acknowledge your point on false Christians are you suggesting that I make an allusion that false wives are to be honored in a real covenant after they proved themselves false through the issuing of divorce?

Does God placate people? Does God issue a divorce meaning something else? Is his yes not yes and his no not no?

As for the New Covenant I think we can establish that the bride of Christ is the church. We obviously run into a divorce decreed in the past with Israel in Jeremiah.

Just touching upon this as a mere point of interest.

Let me interrupt my train of thought that I do not believe in multiple wives. However, I do believe that a man may have multiple wives, in that, some may be divorced etc but they are nontheless living wives. Timothy 3 would exclude such men from Pastoral roles.

Your thoughts?

11 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

Notice they can be grafted into their own olive tree. God’s history with the Nation of Isreal was one of keeping a promise to Abraham. They were on the outs sometimes, they were on again at times. He did not break his promise, He chastised them, begged them to return, promised to restore the relationship.

What about all those Jews considered National Israel which have died up until now while rejecting Jesus Christ?

To note, I do not reject there only being one Olive Tree which expands the covenant divide. I'm asking whether branches broken off are to be honored as covenant members?

God bless,

William

islandrazor
1 minute ago, William said:

Does he recognize the covenant itself as valid? Or does he recognize Himself as her true husband as a jealous God?

Romans 7:2,3 is very specific if we are going to be literalistic. The scripture applies to wives and widows and not males. There are those pesky verses we need deal with, like when the prophet Nathan approached David and stated God would multiply his wives.

Interesting, and while I acknowledge your point on false Christians are you suggesting that I make an allusion that false wives are to be honored in a real covenant after they proved themselves false through the issuing of divorce?

Does God placate people? Does God issue a divorce meaning something else? Is his yes not yes and his no not no?

As for the New Covenant I think we can establish that the bride of Christ is the church. We obviously run into a divorce decreed in the past with Israel in Jeremiah.

Just touching upon this as a mere point of interest.

Let me interrupt my train of thought that I do not believe in multiple wives. However, I do believe that a man may have multiple wives, in that, some may be divorced etc but they are nontheless living wives. Timothy 3 would exclude such men from Pastoral roles.

Your thoughts?

Yes they may be living. and as far as I see exclusions are for those in leadership.

Yeah I'm still working on the original question

• Toast 1

William
Staff
12 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Therefore what the Law of Moses says on the matter is not the standard by which Christians should live. Being a nation of priests it says concerning priests, "They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God." Le 21:7  Christians live by a higher standard. Not even God denied he was still Israel's husband after divorcing her on the basis of adultery. It's till death to you part, not till divorce to you part. 1Cor 7:38 "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives." That's the Christian's standard according to the New Testament. 

I'm actually rooting for you brother. But let me point out that the verses you use are very specific in application to women and not males.

islandrazor

I love it When Paul clarifies just whose command is being discussed.

1 Cor 7:10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord):......

Moses allowed it because the peoples hearts were hard.

In Christ

• Like 1

William
Staff
21 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

I love it When Paul clarifies just whose command is being discussed.

1 Cor 7:10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord):......

Moses allowed it because the peoples hearts were hard.

In Christ

Acknowledged and embraced. How are we to reconcile that we are to issue a divorce certificate and live in peace?

By no means should my own experience or life influence my reading of Scripture. In my personal life I am remarried. My then wife wanted a divorce, I responded by giving her the divorce certificate. She was dating a man from her work before the divorce was finalized and remarried within only 3 months (reserving judgment and speculation).

I waited several years and finally began courting again. Is my now marriage a real covenant? If it was made under false pretenses and both my spouse and I have repented are we to break it off or honor our covenant which we vowed under God?

Are we living in adultery or an actual covenant marriage? Do I need to divorce my now wife and return to my old (as some have in the past stated)?

I am weak and burn in passion at times. Am I to live a celibate life because my then wife divorced me and married another?

Am I living in sin? Or are my sins and my wive's sins forgiven? Are we now honoring God though we may of sinned in the past through a real covenant marriage?

These are pesky questions.... which in my mind represent actual events because of sin ~ a broken world.

Exposing myself for subject matter.

To note, I really wanted to become a Pastor or enter into seminary. I could to this day, I think, be a Pastor of some church, perhaps non-denominational. If it weren't for Timothy 3 and my conviction that I've been disqualified.

God bless,

William

Becky

The Covenant to Abraham was conditional;

Gen 17:9  And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. 
Gen 17:10  This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. 
Gen 17:11  And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. 
Gen 17:12  And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. 
Gen 17:13  He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 
Gen 17:14  And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant. 
Gen 18:19  For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. 
Gen 26:4  And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; 
Gen 26:5  Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. 
Lev 26:40  If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me; 
Lev 26:41  And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity: 
Lev 26:42  Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land. 
Deu 7:12  Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers: 

Thank you Lord for Your Grace and Mercy

• Like 1

islandrazor
14 minutes ago, William said:

Acknowledged and embraced. Just pointing out that that was directed to women. How are we to reconcile that we are to issue a divorce certificate and live in peace?

By no means should my own experience or life influence my reading of Scripture. In my personal life I am remarried. My then wife wanted a divorce, I responded by giving her the divorce certificate. She was dating a man from her work before the divorce was finalized and remarried within only 3 months (reserving judgment and speculation).

I waited several years and finally began courting again. Is my now marriage a real covenant? If it was made under false pretenses and both my spouse and I have repented are we to break it off or honor our covenant which we vowed under God?

Are we living in adultery or an actual covenant marriage? Do I need to divorce my now wife and return to my old (as some have in the past stated)?

I am weak and burn in passion at times. Am I to live a celibate life because my then wife divorced me and married another?

Am I living in sin? Or are my sins and my wive's sins forgiven? Are we now honoring God though we may of sinned in the past through a real covenant marriage?

These are pesky questions....

Exposing myself for subject matter.

To note, I really wanted to become a Pastor or enter into seminary. I could to this day, I think, be a Pastor of some church, perhaps non-denominational. If it weren't for Timothy 3 and my conviction that I've been disqualified.

God bless,

William

Actually the statement, "And a husband must not divorce his wife" is directed at the husband.

I'm not dead yet either brother, but I can please God, or myself.

Pesky questions? Repent doesn't mean weep and wail sacrifice this or that. It means change your direction. Stop your error. 

Just speaking as I see it written. I can't justify my behavior when it opposes Gods will. I'd be a fool. ""Woe unto he who justifies himself".

On a different note.

1 Tim, 3:2  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Blameless, pretty high standard.

Titus 1:6  If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

Nothing in either one of those verses condemns nor overtly disposed of the practice of having more than one wife for the layman.

I’d settle for one good one, my ex is still alive and I wish her no ill so, I enjoy the freedom of being single. It has it’s benefits.

In Christ

• Like 1

Becky
44 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

As Jesus said concerning the Law of Moses see Mark 10:4-12

4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."
5  "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied.
6  "But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’
7  ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8  and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one.
9  Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
10  When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this.
11  He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.
12  And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Having been one that always found the differences between the 'rules' for men and women in Scripture to be very interesting i see the above of a great picture of the Church and Christ.  So much of Scripture puts the responsibility on the man just as it is on Christ. He keeps His bride He does not let her go. 

• Like 1

islandrazor

It isn't over till the heart stops.

And we all thank God for his grace.

But should we sin so that good may come of it?

• Like 1

William
Staff
7 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

Actually the statement, "And a husband must not divorce his wife" is directed at the husband.

Does Paul mean that he may not "put away" a woman? Or does he mean that the husband should respond with a divorce decree as suggested elsewhere?

I deleted my former comment because I had not expounded on this as I did just now.

Becky

1Co 7:13  And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 
1Co 7:14  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 
1Co 7:15  But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 

What does bondage mean? 

William
Staff
6 minutes ago, Becky said:

Having been one that always found the differences between the 'rules' for men and women in Scripture to be very interesting i see the above of a great picture of the Church and Christ.  So much of Scripture puts the responsibility on the man just as it is on Christ. He keeps His bride He does not let her go. 

I acknowledge my wife and I are each individually accountable to Christ, but I am solely responsible for our marriage as head of household.

• Love 1

bcbsr
6 minutes ago, Becky said:

But of women it also says, " A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord." 1Cor 7:39 and likewise in Rom 7:2,3 "By law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage.So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress."