SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Faber

Healthy and unhealthy food and drink

Faber

It seems no matter what a person eats or drinks there will be people who say that it is unhealthy and then list the million things that can go wrong. So I think a thread is in order to talk about what is or isn't healthy. I am well aware that this will probably add fuel to the fire to the ongoing debate, but it makes life more interesting. So here goes.

First off, I know that moderation is important when it comes to eating and drinking. Not only the amount, but also to not have too much of the same thing over and over again.

Right now though I am wondering about coffee and eggs. Healthy or unhealthy?

• Like 2

Origen
3 minutes ago, Faber said:

coffee

DON'T CARE!!!!!!!  KEEP DRINKING!!!!!!!

• Toast 1

Faber

I have cut down considerably the amount of soda I drink. Since first living in Korea ages ago I eat a lot more garlic and ginger and of course rice.

Coffee? 1 cup a day after breakfast.

William
Staff
4 hours ago, Faber said:

It seems no matter what a person eats or drinks there will be people who say that it is unhealthy and then list the million things that can go wrong. So I think a thread is in order to talk about what is or isn't healthy. I am well aware that this will probably add fuel to the fire to the ongoing debate, but it makes life more interesting. So here goes.

First off, I know that moderation is important when it comes to eating and drinking. Not only the amount, but also to not have too much of the same thing over and over again.

From my understanding eggs aren't a problem unless you have a cholesterol problem, not that eggs give you a cholesterol problem but if you already have an issue then they can become unhealthy.

I used to eat a dozen hardboiled eggs every morning when seriously lifting weights in my late 20s. Though I consumed 10 thousand calories a day I hadn't a cholesterol problem.

Too much coffee or caffeine actually mimics symptoms of my disorder. Therefore I stay under two cups to avoid manic like symptoms.

What I do know is that in today's diet fructose should be avoided. It isn't processed like sugar in the body when insulin tells the body we are full to stop eating and drinking but fructose doesn't. 

Studies in Asians were conducted before and after western processed foods made their way to Asia. Obesity went up in correlation to trade of such foods. I'm pretty sure fructose is a major contributor to obesity. Kinda difficult to moderate or stop eating or drinking when the body isn't receiving the signal to stop.

Faber

Do you still lift weights like you used to?

William
Staff
1 hour ago, Faber said:

Do you still lift weights like you used to?

Not at all.

Faber

Besides the amount of eggs you used to consume how else has your diet changed? Did you used to drink a lot of those weight lifting drinks?

After my tough and sweaty runs I drink Gatorade. But if it isn't hot/humid weather my body rejects it.

deade
17 hours ago, Faber said:

Yep, we get differing messages: on-again/off-again whether coffee and eggs are good for us. Right now, they say they are okay in moderation. Just like margarine to replace butter has now reverted. It seems science can't make up its mind. I think I will just be moderate in everything and ask God's blessing on it. I think the water some cities pass to us is dangerous. It tastes like that sometimes. Dangerous!

William
Staff
8 hours ago, Faber said:

Besides the amount of eggs you used to consume how else has your diet changed? Did you used to drink a lot of those weight lifting drinks?

After my tough and sweaty runs I drink Gatorade. But if it isn't hot/humid weather my body rejects it.

Before, I was trying to pack on muscle mass. Took lots of things I regret in order to increase protein synthesis. When I came out of the military I was 150lbs and remained there for years. Never thought I could gain mass being Asian (genetics). First picture is me in my early 20s at 150lbs. Then middle picture is me around 170lbs. 3rd picture is me around 189 lbs. By time I hit 212lbs I was benching 435lbs.

Now I try to consume less than 2000 calories a day in an attempt to lose a little weight each day. I'm about 210lbs at the moment (down from 230lbs) but not 3% body fat like I used to be. I hardly have any muscle anymore and probably around 25-30% body fat.

These are 3 pictures which basically sums up my physique in the 20s.

10531176_696282090420296_1451056069_n.jpg.bcedc30e77532ee6cae5a29352f3b3f1.jpg

10531214_696282097086962_1999575805_n.jpg.ab080c244c22d5f1b72832809eefbb39.jpg

10517076_696282083753630_289052567_n.jpg.92496d7e5b11baa442450ecd9d371ff2.jpg

I look nothing like I used to. I just don't have the desire or discipline to put in that kinda physical activity anymore. Even though I was a smoker back then I spent 3-6 hours in the gym and even cross trained in martial arts (studied since I was 4 until I went into the service).

• Like 1

Matthew A.Duvall
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Faber said:

I think it all has to do with a products ability to be advertised in such a way as to present it as the only way to have a healthy body and keen mind. My problem is when I think of the same product that was developed back when tv first appeared on the scene . Amazing that the same product was considered for its taste , not its ability to prevent certain unhealthy things from occurring . What happened in the time from when it first appeared to the current time ? Did it experience a time between when nothing happened ? Something must have occurred !

Btw, if coffee and eggs are unhealthy now ...then what were they considered to be back in the fifties when just about everyone ate a traditional breakfast consisting of those two foods ? And no one ever suffered any ill effects from eating them . I have to believe it is a game of bait and switch. You promote a certain food product as being unhealthy and make everyone believe it then switch to a product you're trying to pass on to everyone because it's "healthier" , clandestinely selling a replacement product that is not inferior . When in the end it is al about selling a higher priced product for financial gain .      M 

Edited by Matthew A.Duvall

Faber
10 hours ago, William said:

These are 3 pictures which basically sums up my physique in the 20s.

That is the time I also began to get into weightlifting (somewhat). I didn't continue long with it because I enjoyed running more. The years of childhood and the prime of life are indeed fleeting (Ecclesiastes 11:10).

• Best Answer 1

Matthew A.Duvall
On 8/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Faber said:

Isn't it strange that we are hearing about the benefits of certain foods that will do anything from cure us of cancer to causing us to rise from our death beds. Remember garlic ? That wonder food that was the cure all for everything including ingrown toe nails. But you never hear of it anymore. The big rollers on Wall street were successful in their deception of telling the "health hopefuls " of the amazing things that would happen to them if they just consumed [t]heir brand of garlic. They made their fortunes then and are doing the same with avocados and "super beets ". My question is; if these food items are so magnificent now why were we not hearing of them back in the fifties ? I'm waiting for the next tv ad ; "Roaches and fleas " proven to eliminate household odors .         M

islandrazor
3 hours ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

Isn't it strange that we are hearing about the benefits of certain foods that will do anything from cure us of cancer to causing us to rise from our death beds. Remember garlic ? That wonder food that was the cure all for everything including ingrown toe nails. But you never hear of it anymore. The big rollers on Wall street were successful in their deception of telling the "health hopefuls " of the amazing things that would happen to them if they just consumed [t]heir brand of garlic. They made their fortunes then and are doing the same with avocados and "super beets ". My question is; if these food items are so magnificent now why were we not hearing of them back in the fifties ? I'm waiting for the next tv ad ; "Roaches and fleas " proven to eliminate household odors .         M

Garlic cures...

Close proximity  conversations with friends.

• Haha 2

Matthew A.Duvall
On 8/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, islandrazor said:

Garlic cures...

Close proximity  conversations with friends.

I understand that but why did it  take so long to prove that it has certain qualities that contribute to good health ? And we no longer hear of it as being the "super pill" of the century . 

William
Staff
25 minutes ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

I understand that but why did it  take so long to prove that it has certain qualities that contribute to good health ? And we no longer hear of it as being the "super pill" of the century . 

Garlic has many medicinal properties.

1. Keeps away annoying people
  2. Keeps away vampires
  3. Forms Italian neighborhoods

• Haha 1

Becky

God gave us coffee, oats, meats, even sugars and poppies.  .. All He has given us is good. As is His reminder of moderation.

• Like 1

islandrazor
4 hours ago, Becky said:

God gave us coffee, oats, meats, even sugars and poppies.  .. All He has given us is good. As is His reminder of moderation.

Yeah, Peter was scolded for calling certain food unclean.

In Christ

"It is not what goes in that defiles the man, But what comes out of a mans mouth that defiles him, for from the abundance of the heart a man speaks."

Didn't look it up, so my version.