The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
phil boyce-bottoms

Is God male?

Staff
God, the Father, in a non-physical sense, of course, is a male. And, God the Son, is certainly a male.

Couldn't agree more, Jesus kept His gender after His death and Resurrection. The gender specific pronouns are continued when describing angels. Not to mention marriage is specifically mentioned in the afterlife but not possible without different genders, and continues with the groom and bride imagery of Jesus and His Church.

God being spirit and therefore gender neutral is a moot point.

God bless,

William

Hi again Tony, one last thing, I believe I understand what you are saying, that the Father is the "head" of the Trinity, and that is certainly true as He alone is in that "role".

The church (through the Trinity doctrine) acknowledges an economic subordination within the Trinity, but it denies one that is ontological. To say that the Members of the Godhead are different from one another in "nature" (IOW, in power, ability, knowledge or in any other Divine attribute) is heresy. Again, there is but one God and ALL of Him dwells (at the same time) within all three Persons of the Trinity (which was true even of the Lord Jesus when He lived among us as a man .. Colossians 2:9).

One Biblical example that comes to mind is Matthew 28:19. When we baptize, we do so in the "name" (not the names) of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. IOW, we baptize in the "name" of God!

Yours and His,

David

p.s. - when God made physical appearances in the OT, like He did in Isaiah 6:1-6, I'll bet you believe that it was the Father making those appearances? I know I always did, so you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that St. John disagrees .. see John 12:41. God the Father is "spirit", and no one has ever seen Him according to the Bible .. e.g. John 4:24; John 1:18.

Matthew 28

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the (ὄνομα [
onoma
])
name
* of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

*(noun, accusative, singular, neuter)

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 2

What I am referring to or trying to express here is if we call Jesus God we may not be wrong. We know we aren't referring to Him as the Almighty God whose name is Jehovah. I stand to be corrected.

And corrected you shall be by Scripture (Revelation 1): Jesus -- the Son of Man -- is also the Almighty.

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

All of the physical creation reflects spiritual realities. Creation isn't random. God, the Father, in a non-physical sense, of course, is a male. And, God the Son, is certainly a male.

The incarnate Second Person of the Trinity was male. Whether or not that will be the case come the second coming will depend upon how much of a sense of humour God has got.

Staff

The incarnate Second Person of the Trinity was male. Whether or not that will be the case come the second coming will depend upon how much of a sense of humour God has got.

Seriously twisted.

William

Staff

No it isn't. The idea is just outside of your comfort zone

You're twisted. Next you'll be calling me a bigot.

Typical liberal.

Staff

So your comfort zone has been well and truly invaded. If I made the same comment of you, you would doubtless ban me.

Don't tempt me. Maybe tomorrow you'll wake up a queer. You never know, is that outside your comfort zone too? Or do you consider that a sick sense of "humor"?

So much for God's immutability.

William

Don't tempt me. Maybe tomorrow you'll wake up being a queer. You never know, is that outside your comfort zone too?

William

I notice the suggestion that it might be someething which happened to me, whether or not I wanted it to. So you think that homosexuality is part of what somebody is, rather than something they choose to be?

Staff

I notice the suggestion that it might be someething which happened to me, whether or not I wanted it to. So you think that homosexuality is part of what somebody is, rather than something they choose to be?

I told you what I think. I think your thoughts do not align with Scripture. That is what I mean by "twisted".

God is immutable. He doesn't change despite your cultural and social views or even by what you consider a sense of humor.

Lemme tell you what irks me about you. It is the fact that you have Christian "Reformed" under your denomination and I cannot see any of your views reformed by Scripture.

And it irks me that you suggest that I'd ban you because you say something to me by which I disagree. You have no reason to suspect I'd even think about banning you. Despite us disagreeing I find you civil and respectful.... you are about as secure as they come on this forum.

I however, find nothing admirable about your views.

I realize that we are located on different continents, and in the back of my mind it is no wonder why Christianity has given way to secularism where you're located.

God bless,

William

I told you what I think. I think He doesn't change despite your cultural and social views.

Hän certainly is, and hän is without gender.

I told you what I think. I think you're a twisted individual

If insults are the best you have got to offer, I think I might depart hither.

'Bye

(In case you are wondering, hän is the Finniish personal pronoun for both male and female, so you would find it difficult making your argument in Finnish.)

(In case you are wondering, hän is the Finniish personal pronoun for both male and female, so you would find it difficult making your argument in Finnish.)

Now I know why God didn't choose Finnish as the language to write the original NT Gospel in. :)

That would have made translation MUCH harder.

• Like 5

@ TWT -- referring to #154 could you explain your response? I was trying to use the quote but it wouldn't get the right post down here.

The second person of the trinity -- but after the second coming that might not be the case -- God having a sense of humor. What did you mean by that?

Staff
Now I know why God didn't choose Finnish as the language to write the original NT Gospel in. :)

That would have made translation MUCH harder.

That is hysterical. I really enjoy your sense of humor my friend.
  • Like 2

I personally don't think God is male. I think God is more of just a gender-less cosmic being with infinite energy and power. Yes, the book was written by men but think about this. When we say mankind, we are talking about the entire human race, man, woman and child. The terms back in those times are much more different than they are now.

I think most people thinks God is male because of some reasons. He designed the first man after his image. We call him father and most Bible verses about him uses male pronouns. God is a spirit with no body though. He doesn't have a body, he is a powerful omnipotent being that created everything. He is the reason why the Universe exist. He is the Alpha and the Omega.

• Like 1

Jesus is God, and He definitely has "male-like" features. Of course, unlike The Father or the Holy Spirit, the Lord Jesus has two natures, Divine AND human, a male human to be exact (and so He remains in Heaven, even today).

We've made a lot of images of the Father as a male human being floating in the clouds over the years, but is there any reason to believe that a spirit, particularly this Spirit, who is omnipresent (IOW, all of Him exists in all places and at all times at once), also maintains a localized shape or form as well? Is there any Biblical evidence that tells us this is true? People "heard" His voice at His Son's baptism and on top of the Mount of Transfiguration, but does the Bible say that anyone has actually seen Him?

Remember that along with the Bible telling us that "God is spirit" .. John 4:24, Jesus made it clear when He was among us that NO ONE has ever seen God the Father .. John 1:18 (though many obviously saw Jesus, both as a man in the NT, and in various forms in His pre-incarnate state in the OT).

There is one example I can think of in Acts. Right before Stephen was stoned to death he told us that He saw the Glory of God, and Jesus standing next to Him in Heaven .. Acts 7:55-56, but he doesn't give us a description of what he saw, what the Father's "glory" looked like, just that He was there.

Perhaps there are some other Biblical examples that I'm not thinking of right now??

Yours and His,

David

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 1

The Father is masculine but I doubt He's "male" unless he has a male spiritual reproductive organ, which I cannot even type with a straight face. Male and female denote biological function, which applies to organic material/flesh, neither of which the Father is of (He is a spirit). The Messiah was the only one to have seen the Father, and he calls Him "Father," so there is a pretty good hint towards His character.

• Like 2

God's Word always refers to God as He, the Father. Jesus Christ was born into Jewish culture as a male and grew into a mature male. Messiah means God with us.

So -- you don't think that Jesus Christ was a male in every sense of the word? Even with the physical organ? He was as male as any man who's ever lived on earth. And He Also lived as a single man with temptation all around Him, but did Not Sin. The liberal secular world would have Jesus having an affair with Mary Magdalene just to give single Christian men an excuse for having affairs. But, WE know that That did Not happen. But -- Jesus Christ -- here on earth -- God incarnate -- was a baby growing into an adult Jewish man -- being tempted in all ways but Without sin. To show Us that it Is possible to live a Godly life -- Not sinless perfection -- but a Godly life Through the power of the Holy Spirit who does live within us.

Jesus Christ was tempted by satan, himself -- while here on earth. He responded back to satan with Scripture - - rebuked him. We can do the same.

• Like 1

Staff
Messiah means God with us.
Immanuel means "God with us." Messiah means "anointed one."

• Like 1

Immanuel means "God with us." Messiah means "anointed one."

Okay -- and the thread title is "Is God male". Jesus Christ was the Messiah, the anointed one. Meaning that Jesus Christ was God incarnate and the anointed one -- correct?!

The liberal secular world would have Jesus having an affair with Mary Magdalene just to give single Christian men an excuse for having affairs.
I thought the preferred belief among the secular world now was that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene? It's popped up in everything from the Da Vinchi code to comic books, and I've heard people say that the wedding at Canna was Jesus' own. I haven't seen much scriptural support for that view in the Bible though.

I thought the preferred belief among the secular world now was that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene? It's popped up in everything from the Da Vinchi code to comic books, and I've heard people say that the wedding at Canna was Jesus' own. I haven't seen much scriptural support for that view in the Bible though.

Hi ChatterBox, I don't believe you'll find any Scriptural support for either proposition. For instance, here's what the Gospel of John has to say about the wedding in Cana. It seems clear that Jesus, His mother, and the disciples were invited guests at the wedding, not members of the wedding party.

Chapter 2

Miracle at Cana

1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus
was there
;

2 and both Jesus and His disciples
were invited
to the wedding.

3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “
They
have no wine.”

4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman,
what does that have to do with us
? My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

6 Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each.

7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” So they filled them up to the brim.

8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter.” So they took it to him.

9 When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew),
the headwaiter called the bridegroom

10 and said to him, “Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now.”

11 This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.

As for Mary Magdalene, there have been various speculations about her over the millennia (like the rumor one of the Popes started that claimed she was a prostitute), but none of them are grounded in either Biblical or even extra-Biblical fact. The Bible uses these words to describe Mary Magdalene's relationship to the Lord:

Mark 16

9 After He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene,
from whom He had cast out seven demons

St. Mark would not have used "from whom He had cast out seven demons" by itself to describe how Jesus knew Mary Magdalene if she was His wife!!

"Fake News" was a reality long before the 21st Century :RpS_glare:

Yours and His,

David

• Like 3