The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
phil boyce-bottoms

Is God male?

He isn't trying to make us understand Him based on our experience. He is trying to cause us to understand Him By His creation, male and female. That's my point.

Althogh God, the Father, does not have a physical body, He has created the physical male body as a refection of who He is.

I have always had that big concern regarding God's creation. If he created the male body as a reflection of himself, then who did he use to make the woman's body? Why are women beautiful and that sort of thing? I could think that God did not really mean that when saying the "reflection of myself" thing, or was he? Because I do not really understand the whole issue here. I personally think he meant to say it spiritually, but never physically, what do you think?

Staff

I have always had that big concern regarding God's creation. If he created the male body as a reflection of himself, then who did he use to make the woman's body? Why are women beautiful and that sort of thing? I could think that God did not really mean that when saying the "reflection of myself" thing, or was he? Because I do not really understand the whole issue here. I personally think he meant to say it spiritually, but never physically, what do you think?

When you view yourself do you only see your superficial qualities? Care to deepen your understanding? God made Adam and Eve in His image. What is His image? The image of God refers to the immaterial part of man. It sets man apart from the animal world, fits him for the dominion God intended him to have over the earth.

For example:

Imago Dei means that man is not God. Man reflects the Lord and therefore is not the Lord. We are creatures, and, consequently, we are dependent, finite, and derived. Moreover, we are accountable to God; He is not accountable to us (Job 38–42).

Imago Dei distinguishes man from the animals. We are subordinate to the Lord, not to the beasts of the field and the birds of the air. Instead, man has dominion over the other creatures God has made (Gen. 1:28).

Mentally, man was created as a rational, volitional agent. This is a reflection of God’s intellect. Anytime someone invents a machine, writes a book, paints a landscape, enjoys a symphony, calculates a sum, or names a pet, he or she is proclaiming the fact that we are made in God’s image.

Our conscience or “moral compass” is a vestige of that original state. Whenever someone writes a law, recoils from evil, praises good behavior, or feels guilty, he is confirming the fact that we are made in God’s own image.

Lastly, it is important to note that man is fallen, the image of God has been stained, marred or distorted, and no longer reflects the moral beauty of God, save, the image of Christ. While man was made in God's image, man was not made righteous in disposition.

The good news is that when God redeems an individual, He begins to restore the original image of God, creating a “new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:24). That redemption is only available by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior from the sin that separates us from God (Ephesians 2:8-9). Through Christ, we are made new creations in the likeness of God (2 Corinthians 5:17).

God bless,

William

• Like 1

When you view yourself do you only see your superficial qualities? Care to deepen your understanding? God made Adam and Eve in His image. What is His image? The image of God refers to the immaterial part of man. It sets man apart from the animal world, fits him for the dominion God intended him to have over the earth.

For example:

Mentally, man was created as a rational, volitional agent. This is a reflection of God’s intellect. Anytime someone invents a machine, writes a book, paints a landscape, enjoys a symphony, calculates a sum, or names a pet, he or she is proclaiming the fact that we are made in God’s image.

Our conscience or “moral compass” is a vestige of that original state. Whenever someone writes a law, recoils from evil, praises good behavior, or feels guilty, he is confirming the fact that we are made in God’s own image.

Lastly, it is important to note that man is fallen, the image of God has been stained, marred or distorted, and no longer reflects the moral beauty of God, save, the image of Christ. While man was made in God's image, man was not made righteous in disposition.

The good news is that when God redeems an individual, He begins to restore the original image of God, creating a “new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:24). That redemption is only available by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior from the sin that separates us from God (Ephesians 2:8-9). Through Christ, we are made new creations in the likeness of God (2 Corinthians 5:17).

God bless,

William

That's a very nice explanation which somehow clarifies my concern. So, I got to the point of thinking that when a new person gets birth, that's God being portrayed on a new person that is probably going to be like God or probably will not, but that's God reborn in one of us, a new person that will be what God wanted the stained ones to be just before they spilled their bodies with sins and many other bad things. That was a good reading, by the way, thank you for sharing it.

• Like 1

Nothing that God does is without a reason. He did not arbitrarily design the world. My assertion is that everything we see displays something that we can't see. In other words, spiritual realities are made known to us by physical creation, e.g., "the heavens declare the glory of the Lord. . ."

Does not a Father have maternal instincts? That's a far cry from making a case that God is female. I hate to also bring Science in the equation, but one of the issues in the Zorse - a cross between a Zebra and Horse, is that all are birthed Male. I am not well studied on Genetics, but it appears to me that the first of its kind only results in male offspring, and supports the Genesis account of Eve being brought forth from males. The Father begets the Son, and even in the case of Mary, she was impregnated by the Holy Spirit.

Seems to me that if one is going to argue the case for a female goddess, they better be ready to toss out Scripture from beginning to end. It will ultimately result in havoc in all doctrines, and Ecumenical Creeds that acknowledge and profess Jesus' immaculate conception.

God bless,

William

A Zorse are all male but they are sterile while God is a creator. God made a pair to reproduce life. A woman can't get pregnant by herself, except for Mary for obvious reasons. And a man can not produce life, trans-males not included. God can produce life by himself, therefore he's probably both. "The names for God—Yahweh, Elohim, Shaddai, Sebbaoth, Adonai, Kurios, and Theos—are all masculine gender," were the names man has given to God. Yahweh is the composite of four Hebrew consonants YHWH, which is known as a tetragrammaton. It was said to be created by Moses because the name was too holy to be uttered by mere mortals. As for the answer to your question. Yes, a Father can have maternal instincts but the same is true in reverse and mothers can have paternal instincts. There are cases where a mother defends her child from an attacker. I think that if we have look back to Adam and Eve. God made Adam and realized he wasn't complete so he made Eve, only then were they complete as the first of human race and a closer reflection of himself. We are probably closer to his image when we are married because we are rendered of one flesh instead of two separate beings.

As for Jesus, in his time period, would he have been allowed to live the life he lead as a woman? http://www.bible-history.com/court-of-women/women.html Rabbis were taught not to salute or speak to women. Women were not allowed to be instructed in law or receive inheritance. Woman were expected to stay home and were allowed very little freedom. While I have faith that if God had wanted to make Jesus a female, that it would have been impractical considering how male dominated the ancient world was. The point was to spread the God's word and create believers, and this was more easily done by a male than a female. As a man, Jesus had the authority to change the dynamic that allowed women to follow him and learn about God properly. Jesus brought women into the church and used them in parables in his teachings.

• Like 1

Who says God has a physical form, or is limited by our comprehension? Personally, I know we habitually say "He" and "Him", but I don't personally feel it's set in stone that God as a holy spirit has a physical gender or is a "man" or "woman", but beyond such forms.

Who says God has a physical form, or is limited by our comprehension? Personally, I know we habitually say "He" and "Him", but I don't personally feel it's set in stone that God as a holy spirit has a physical gender or is a "man" or "woman", but beyond such forms.

We didn't use male pronouns to address God arbitrarily. He revealed Himself that way.

Just two questions for you:

Is Jesus a man?

Did He instruct us to address God as Father?

• Like 1

[h=1]John 10:30[/h] “I and my Father are one.”

At every turn we see God describing Himself as male. Why would anyone fight to make this issue unclear? Who would strive to make unclear what God has made clear?

So may i ask, and i will, l thank you; are you pro pride, lgbtq, gay marriage, yada?

Edited by Even So
add comma

I'll answer my own question. JESUS and Adam would have been female. Eve would have come first. If GOD is a neutral Spirit, then why bother creating male and female at all? We would all be gender-benders and would not have a marriage issue. We would not be fighting against the rules GOD has fore-ordained for us to live by. GOD would not care how we lived. We would prolly have no morals at all. Why would we need them? What would morals be? Of course if He did not set moral standards for us to live by, we would not need a Savior to come and die for us because we all fail to meet those standards. Our lives would have the same meaning as atheist, agnostic evolutionists. We were created by nothing, so we come from nothing and our lives are nothing. If GOD were not a male Spirit, JESUS died for nothing. But He didn't! He died for you, and me, and everyone on this forum, and everyone in the who world!

Edited by Even So
spelin

Is Jesus God?

Jesus is the son of Almighty God whose name is Jehovah. Jesus can be called God that doesn't mean we are referring to him as the Almighty God.

Jesus is the son of Almighty God whose name is Jehovah. Jesus can be called God that doesn't mean we are referring to him as the Almighty God.

That doesn't sound like an orthodox response. Are you a Christian?

• Like 1

Hi @tony, how many "Gods" are there?

Thanks!

Yours and His,

David

Isaiah 43

10 "You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,

“And My servant whom I have chosen,

In order that you may know and believe Me

And understand that I am He.

Before Me there was no God formed,

And there will be none after Me

Colossians 2

9 In Him
all the fullness of Deity
dwells in bodily form.

Edited by David Lee

How can GOD be male when all life starts as female?

1. That is a non sequitur. Since God supernaturally spoke the whole creation into existence, every creature was created by fiat, but all creatures were created male and female. It is only after the initial creation that other creatures were born through normal reproduction, which involves BOTH male and female. You got off on the wrong foot to begin with.

2. Your statement is a non sequitur because it bears no relationship to the gender of God. As far as that goes the Bible reveals that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all MALE. You can believe it or reject it but that is God's truth, not yours.

So........

Someone some where has been lying about our origin,

In the bible it states,

That GOD made man ADAM,

then created woman EVE,

from Adams rib.

Yet,

In real life,

All life in its first 5 to 6 weeks starts out as female.

Once again we have a non sequitur (Latin for "it does not follow"). "Real life" (as we know it) is not the same as the creation of the first man and woman. Those were unique creative events, where God took the dust of the ground and made man, then took a rib from the man to make a woman. But after that it requires BOTH male and female to continue with reproduction.

God has no gender. The only reason God cannot alternatively be spoken of as he or she is that the latter would jar on the ears. Ideally there would be a neuter personal pronoun which could be applied to God, but no such thing exists in English.

God has no gender. The only reason God cannot alternatively be spoken of as he or she is that the latter would jar on the ears. Ideally there would be a neuter personal pronoun which could be applied to God, but no such thing exists in English.

"It"

I believe that Greek has gender neutral pronouns and God chose not to use them ... He chose the rather specific "Father and Son" in a time when godesses were quite common and would not 'jar on the ears'.

"It"

I believe that Greek has gender neutral pronouns and God chose not to use them ... He chose the rather specific "Father and Son" in a time when godesses were quite common and would not 'jar on the ears'.

"It" is not a personal pronoun. Referring to somebody as "it" in English would be considered very rude. Greek has three grammatical genders, like English, but the neuter pronoun is never used of people.

That God was referred to as "he" in ancient Israel proves only that he had to be assigned one of two genders, and in a patriarchal society it is hardly surprising that they imagined God as male.

Anselm of Canterbury had no problems addressing God as Mother, without getting himself into trouble with a very conservative Church.

God has no gender

That flatly contradictions the Bible, since God is ALWAYS MALE in the Bible -- the Word of God.

That God was referred to as "he" in ancient Israel proves only that he had to be assigned one of two genders, and in a patriarchal society it is hardly surprising that they imagined God as male.

This statement suggests that men conjured up or "imagined" the Bible rather than prophets and apostles were given the very words by Divine inspiration. We can't have it both ways. Either the Bible is in reality the words of God (given through men) or it is just another book of myths, legends, and fairy tales.

That flatly contradictions the Bible, since God is ALWAYS MALE in the Bible -- the Word of God.

This statement suggests that men conjured up or "imagined" the Bible rather than prophets and apostles were given the very words by Divine inspiration. We can't have it both ways. Either the Bible is in reality the words of God (given through men) or it is just another book of myths, legends, and fairy tales.

Even divine revelation has to contend with the limitations of the language it was written in.

• Like 1